5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Going L10 In 1 Month

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 09:15 PM

Going L10 In 1 Month

Ok... I am having Level10 rebuild my transmission in 1 month... I am hoping they don't **** it up like they did a few others.

If all goes well I will enjoy the newfound speed
Old 05-21-2002, 09:42 PM

Re: Going L10 In 1 Month

How much is it gonna cost?

Did you get your car all fixed up?
Old 05-21-2002, 09:46 PM

The rest of the parts where shipped today (overnight), so my car will be fixed tommorow.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:50 PM
Very sound, Mike

Do keep us updated fellow Auto fan
Old 05-21-2002, 10:11 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Im still afraid of this mod. Like I said before, I tried a Valve Body modification on my Stang, before I did a 5 speed swap, and I blew the tranny in 2 months. It was directly attributed to the MOD. I would hate to see how much a new Auto will cost to replace, all for .1 gain...
Old 05-21-2002, 10:37 PM

I just want to be able to keep up with my manual counterparts.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:40 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

If thats your objective, save the 500.00, and go buy a NOS kit.... That VB mod wont make you catch any 6 speeed... I hope you know that !
Old 05-21-2002, 10:40 PM

I was going for the complete rebuild actually.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:41 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Youre still not catching a 6 speed...
Old 05-21-2002, 10:48 PM

I'll strap rockets to the sides of my car...

Old 05-21-2002, 11:09 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

... and a GT-R logo !
Old 05-21-2002, 11:10 PM

Old 05-21-2002, 11:34 PM
I miss the .org!

Don't forget the racing stripes! And make sure its two fat white ones right down the middle. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, find some pictures of the superfast Dodge Neon R/T. **sarcasm**
Old 05-22-2002, 06:50 AM
Very sound, Mike

Actually, if anything the transmission rebuild (toughening) will help Melteye in the long run. I don't know how good Nissan made our auto tranny's but i'm sure once more power is introduced into the picture that transmission may not be able to handle it.

Melteye, are you also going for a beefed up torque converter?
Old 05-22-2002, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by kloogy
If thats your objective, save the 500.00, and go buy a NOS kit.... That VB mod wont make you catch any 6 speeed... I hope you know that !
Not a 6 speeds but perhaps a 5 speeds...

Cheers

AA
Old 05-22-2002, 02:45 PM

Ya... Getting a Prototorque with a 3000rpm stall.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:41 PM

Youre still not catching a 6 speed...
I have caught a few 6spds. A few got away from me, but I'm right on their front doors, so they don't get too far.

I'm automatic, N/A, no juice, no boost.

How do I keep up ?

-That's my secret.

Old 05-22-2002, 06:07 PM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by Chimp Dj

I have caught a few 6spds. A few got away from me, but I'm right on their front doors, so they don't get too far.

I'm automatic, N/A, no juice, no boost.

How do I keep up ?

-That's my secret.
man there is something definetly wicked about ur max, ur runnin mid 14s w/o the juice, or the boost, hmmm..... when i find that thread i still dont think its gonna explain even half of whats in ur ride....

Old 05-22-2002, 07:54 PM

After what I have been told by pros not people on here, I'd suggest staying away...Go custom like I did, find a good pro that does that kind of stuff in your area to help you do somthing kewl, and cheaper overall or more bang for the buck however you wanna look at it.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
After what I have been told by pros not people on here, I'd suggest staying away...Go custom like I did, find a good pro that does that kind of stuff in your area to help you do somthing kewl, and cheaper overall or more bang for the buck however you wanna look at it.
I finally blew my tranny to bits, so I contacted FB Transmissions, and had my tranny rebuilt there, it was close to what max'n out had done to his tranny, my bill was a mid 4 figures + hunting trip in September.

2K1HoMax, I'm as stock as the Maxima next door.(Looks at least.) I still sport the factory muffler, but thats about it.

Old 05-22-2002, 09:22 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I finally blew my tranny to bits, so I contacted FB Transmissions, and had my tranny rebuilt there, it was close to what max'n out had done to his tranny, my bill was a mid 4 figures + hunting trip in September.

2K1HoMax, I'm as stock as the Maxima next door.(Looks at least.) I still sport the factory muffler, but thats about it.
Hey Chimp, Im from Killa Queens like you, email me your secret ! Us Q- guys stick together !
Old 05-23-2002, 01:30 AM
2K1HoMax

Yeah i know u look stock, ur a sleeper u have to looks stock, some people love the sleeper look, im just interested in the N/A part of ur mods in what ur done to run a mid14 w/o the other good, u know tha juice and the boost, thats a diff story. just the N/A end of it is all im interested in at this time. but damn u have to be all sectertive and all, if i pm you, will u atleast let me know as to what steps im gonna need to take,(not all of them, cuz iknow u aint gonna give it all away) to atleast hit the 14s in an N/A max thats an auto....

Old 05-23-2002, 05:23 AM

Simply stated, I make as much power as a 2k2 6spd @ wheels from a 3.0 motor. That's all that needs to be known. Minor motor work on bottom end, heads, and fuel system, are the basics. I have gutted my factory exhaust set up of all pre-cats, which required cutting my factory "front pipe" open, and re-welding the piece back together. I am using a RT 2.5" Cat in compliance w/ smog regulations, the entire exhaust system is 2.5" SS, using factory Mid Pipe dimensions, and rear section dimensions. The muffler system has a flange so I can unbolt my factory muffler, and bolt up a free flow muffler which can be used on factory hangers.
The big difference is Programmable ECU, which I am still testing and tuning, at the current time, due to traffic court coming up, and my acquital in criminal court,(Plus Attorneys Fees) I will hold off on full development and post up pricing for those interested in VQ30DE A32 and A33 Platform Programmable ECUs, shortly, once I am 100% sure of its compatibility.

Old 05-23-2002, 07:17 PM
2K1HoMax

Simply stated, I make as much power as a 2k2 6spd @ wheels from a 3.0 motor. That's all that needs to be known. Minor motor work on bottom end, heads, and fuel system, are the basics. I have gutted my factory exhaust set up of all pre-cats, which required cutting my factory "front pipe" open, and re-welding the piece back together. I am using a RT 2.5" Cat in compliance w/ smog regulations, the entire exhaust system is 2.5" SS, using factory Mid Pipe dimensions, and rear section dimensions. The muffler system has a flange so I can unbolt my factory muffler, and bolt up a free flow muffler which can be used on factory hangers.
The big difference is Programmable ECU, which I am still testing and tuning, at the current time, due to traffic court coming up, and my acquital in criminal court,(Plus Attorneys Fees) I will hold off on full development and post up pricing for those interested in VQ30DE A32 and A33 Platform Programmable ECUs, shortly, once I am 100% sure of its compatibility.
ok it figures, what i was really stumped about was that u made it soud as if uve had so engine mods, internelly. the front pre-cat which cannot be replaced, or custom made,(i tried) was my main concern since that thing itself hold off about 10hp which i was also considered gutting out, but im not about to get into the motor, not just yet. i just wanted to see if i was goin in the right direction, but thanx for the info u cleared up alot, and keep posted on the programable ECU, im gettin interested real fast...

Old 05-23-2002, 07:20 PM
2K1HoMax

and as u can tell, im still working on typing correctly. i meant no engine mods.

Old 05-24-2002, 04:17 AM

if all you want is to keep up with your manual counterparts...why are you getting a transmission rebuild? there are alot of other(more efficient) ways you could keep up with them for 4G's
Old 05-24-2002, 04:20 AM

Mod-For-Mod... Is what I meant. and I own a 2K2 so there isn't much options.

I will be searching for a wrecked 2K2 6-speed and do a manual swap as soon as a get my hands on one.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:57 AM

so you're gonna do the L10 tranny rebuild and then you're going to swap it out for a manual transmission afterwards?
Old 05-24-2002, 07:58 AM

No. I changed my mind about the L10...
Old 05-24-2002, 08:02 AM
Very sound, Mike

Anyhow, when you do get to it (swap) let us auto owners know.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:05 AM

Well as soon as a find a wrecked 2K2 6Spd I'll be doing it... They are very hard to come by.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:37 AM
Very sound, Mike

Didn't a member just wreck his 2k2 6spd? (or was it an auto). His sig has the damaged car on it.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

ok it figures, what i was really stumped about was that u made it soud as if uve had so engine mods, internelly. the front pre-cat which cannot be replaced, or custom made,(i tried) was my main concern since that thing itself hold off about 10hp which i was also considered gutting out, but im not about to get into the motor, not just yet. i just wanted to see if i was goin in the right direction, but thanx for the info u cleared up alot, and keep posted on the programable ECU, im gettin interested real fast...
I got mods internally too, I just won't say what or by who. Front exhaust manifold can be made, or you can do fed spec conversion like Dessert Pearl(sp) did last year or was it two years ago ?
Honestly after punching out the two precats, and minor grinding/polishing, my car was more responsive, and had more power than my Cattman Y-Pipe, scary as it is, this modification alone, got me to stay w/ a 14.9 5spd Maxima all the way up to 90mph in a street race, before he'd haul on me by 75 or so. I got a cat, since I don't need legal trouble, as for motor mods, I blew it up playing w/ boost, so the rebuild, made it somewhat better, experimented w/ a few items, did some searching on the .org, and got a few things done in the process. The ECU definitely made the night and day difference. Even at start up, in a garage, the car has a different sound as you crack the throttle, @ WOT w/a custom air intake made of sheetmetal, the cabin becomes deafening, once the race pipe goes on the rear, the sound is unreal, intake screaming + exhaust singing, makes my experience all the better.
Trying to get one for Kev to test on Boosted apps for 5th gens. Currently in the process of test for boosted 4th gen + N/A 4th Gen.
Hopefully by mid summer, wrap up everything, and get a nice GD.

Old 05-24-2002, 04:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Will getting this L10 tranny eliminate the annoying lag that is common to autos? I'm sure you guys know what I mean. Let say you're cruising along around 20-40mph, then decide to stomp on the gas to pass someone, you stomp on the gas, but the tranny doesn't downshift. It just stay in the higher gear. It's very annoying IMO. That's the only thing I really hate about the auto, it's the lag/confusion of the auto tranny.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:53 PM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by Pmp-n8a
if all you want is to keep up with your manual counterparts...why are you getting a transmission rebuild? there are alot of other(more efficient) ways you could keep up with them for 4G's
to keep up isnt the main concern for some of us, the L10 acutally shifts faster then u can with a maunal, but for what ur saying about more efficient ways, the thing is u can only do so many mods to a auto max and not damage the tranny, the s/c will rip the stock tranny right off the block. but im still not sayin anything bad about manuals still id love to have that extra gear or two to go threw.

Old 05-25-2002, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Will getting this L10 tranny eliminate the annoying lag that is common to autos? I'm sure you guys know what I mean. Let say you're cruising along around 20-40mph, then decide to stomp on the gas to pass someone, you stomp on the gas, but the tranny doesn't downshift. It just stay in the higher gear. It's very annoying IMO. That's the only thing I really hate about the auto, it's the lag/confusion of the auto tranny.
L10's will not no.
Old 05-25-2002, 09:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by max'n out

L10's will not no.

Hm...guess I'll do a 5spd swap then.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:06 AM

That's funny.....I've never had a 6 speed catch me :P, come to think of it, I've never seen a 5 speed catch me either.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Don in Texas

That's funny.....I've never had a 6 speed catch me :P, come to think of it, I've never seen a 5 speed catch me either.