5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Killed 2001 auto IS300

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 09:55 PM

Killed 2001 auto IS300

pull up to a 2 lane red light on rt.46 and there was this decked out white IS300 with a body kit and exhaust (by the sound of his car's shifts its an auto). so im sitting in my car and itching to race the guy but my gurl is lookin at me giving me this "you betta not do it" look. Light turns green and i get a smooth start in 1st gear and shifted into second at 3,000 rpm and i see this guy fly by to 1 car ahead of me... so i gun second gear up to 6,200 rpm (i hit 60 mph) and inch past the guy... by the time i shifted into 3rd gear i had 1 car length on him... reached 4,500 in third gear and i saw his xenons atleast 3 car lengths behind me so i flashed my hazards and shut it down. my gurl turned to me and was like .. "u had to do that didnt you." i just smiled, nodded, and said "i had to prove a point."
Old 05-25-2002, 10:25 PM

NICE man, nice race

i c you having a lot of fun with yo car
Old 05-26-2002, 12:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Next time dont listen to your girl. Just slaughter him from the go...............btw I dont have no g/f.

nice,easy kill.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:32 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

Just slam the pedal next time...Im married !
Old 05-26-2002, 06:40 AM

Good kill, but not much of a contest.
Old 05-26-2002, 06:51 AM

2JZ swapped IS300 w/ NC Plates out on Long Island, NY.

WATCH OUT~!~

Old 05-26-2002, 07:07 AM

Are you gonna be proud when you pull up next to a Daewoo Leganza and blow his doors off too? I dont get why it makes everyone feel so good when you beat a car that you KNOW is slower than yours. Maybe it is some kind of inferiority complex or something. Of course it is fun to race any car, but dont feel all proud of yourself and stick your chest out when you beat a heavier car with 40 less hp, and it was an auto at that...lol....
Old 05-26-2002, 09:20 AM

Re: Killed 2001 auto IS300

Originally posted by 20 MAXIMA 02
pull up to a 2 lane red light on rt.46 and there was this decked out white IS300 with a body kit and exhaust (by the sound of his car's shifts its an auto). so im sitting in my car and itching to race the guy but my gurl is lookin at me giving me this "you betta not do it" look. Light turns green and i get a smooth start in 1st gear and shifted into second at 3,000 rpm and i see this guy fly by to 1 car ahead of me... so i gun second gear up to 6,200 rpm (i hit 60 mph) and inch past the guy... by the time i shifted into 3rd gear i had 1 car length on him... reached 4,500 in third gear and i saw his xenons atleast 3 car lengths behind me so i flashed my hazards and shut it down. my gurl turned to me and was like .. "u had to do that didnt you." i just smiled, nodded, and said "i had to prove a point."
Nice kill. I had a new CL Type-S try to take me on the way home from the dealership in the loaner they gave me (it's a demo). I hung with him no problem. He got on it first (he was about 1/2 a carlength back in the other lane) and I hit it a second or so later and as he pulled even with me I was starting to inch out on him. My mom has a Type-S and it's a quick car. I think the Max is deceptively fast because it doesn't feel like you're going even close to as fast as you are.

Originally posted by maxman2k
I dont get why it makes everyone feel so good when you beat a car that you KNOW is slower than yours.
I think it's the fact that an IS300 costs about $5K more than the Max equally loaded and they are competitors. I looked at them and was considering getting one but I got my car brand new for the same price as a used IS with 15K miles. Don't get me wrong, I think they are cool cars, I just think the Max is more car for your money.

To each his own though. If that's what you like, I can respect that. Especially considering I almost bought one.

-Johnny V.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:49 AM

Are you gonna be proud when you pull up next to a Daewoo Leganza and blow his doors off too? I dont get why it makes everyone feel so good when you beat a car that you KNOW is slower than yours. Maybe it is some kind of inferiority complex or something. Of course it is fun to race any car, but dont feel all proud of yourself and stick your chest out when you beat a heavier car with 40 less hp, and it was an auto at that...lol....
aaawwwwwwwwww, somebody's fuming because they have a slower car... What would you do if you owned a Viper? Not race anybody because you know that 95% of the people out there have a slower car than you? Have some fun man...
Old 05-26-2002, 12:06 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I'll tell you why, because every Yahoo, who has one, THINKS that they have a ROCKET, they pull up next to you all the time, and want to race. I find IS300 drivers to be worse than Ricers. At least the ricer knows you will most likely smoke him, the IS300 driver thinks because they stuck a LEX logo on it, he owns you.. Sorry "IS" guys, you lose, and I will continue to show you that YOU LOSE !
Old 05-26-2002, 05:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Killed 2001 auto IS300

I smoked a CL-Type S a while back as well. It was the auto tho. I had him by more than a 1/2 car length easy by third gear.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnnyV'02SE
[B]

Nice kill. I had a new CL Type-S try to take me on the way home from the dealership in the loaner they gave me (it's a demo). I hung with him no problem. He got on it first (he was about 1/2 a carlength back in the other lane) and I hit it a second or so later and as he pulled even with me I was starting to inch out on him. My mom has a Type-S and it's a quick car. I think the Max is deceptively fast because it doesn't feel like you're going even close to as fast as you are.
QUOTE]
Old 05-26-2002, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
I'll tell you why, because every Yahoo, who has one, THINKS that they have a ROCKET, they pull up next to you all the time, and want to race. I find IS300 drivers to be worse than Ricers. At least the ricer knows you will most likely smoke him, the IS300 driver thinks because they stuck a LEX logo on it, he owns you.. Sorry "IS" guys, you lose, and I will continue to show you that YOU LOSE !
I Agree. Why is it that "IS" owners wanna feel that cause its a lexus, it will burn a anything in its path. I have a 2k Automagic, and i've burned at least 4 IS' already..

Tough luck lexus owners
Old 05-26-2002, 06:09 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Absoloutely right ! .. They are the ones running around cutting everyone off in their 38K shoeboxes.... I can smoke them, and stick them in my trunk !
Old 05-26-2002, 06:33 PM
Maxima06071

Hey he said it was decked out moron, besides the Altezza started it!

Old 05-26-2002, 06:40 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

my boy helio has a 2002 yellow auto IS300 with all the options and he has already admitted that i would woop him hard so we haven't raced yet but i'm sure it will happen. we just started chilling and friday we went to providence and after teh drive he wishes he got a max instead. we compared options all ngiht long and i have more plus more hp, plus more room, plus it's stick. after drifting the offramp we took to get to providence he's not even sure his car handles as good either.
Old 05-26-2002, 06:43 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

How much would an IS300 w/navi cost.. I paid 29K ! , FULLY LOADED !
Old 05-26-2002, 08:21 PM

IS300 is mad $$$.. dont get me wrong but i like the way they look and drive, even test drove one before i bought my max... but just too much $$ for a fully loaded one. just wanted to prove that i didnt make the wrong choice buying the max... hell, i didnt even know he wanted to race until i shifted into second gear.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:52 AM

You guys are all funny . I paid $31k for my Loaded IS new without nav. The ONLY advantage the max has over the IS is yes it is faster, but not by whatyou may think. I think someone that is replying to this thread has in their sig that their 2k2 max runs a 14.8? My 5speed IS runs a 14.9. But the IS will run circles around the max in the twisties and will brake about 50 feet short of that stopped traffic while you guys going plowing into it. Plus there is a MUCH bigger aftermarket market out there for the IS. What the maxima is bigger? Yes that is an advantage to some, but that isnt even a factor to a serious driver who appreciates what a great driving car is. Dont get me wrong, I love maximas, but I recognize that the IS is just a better overall driving car. Oh by the way, in the latest road and track they compared all the sport sedans out there, the 330, the IS, the TL-S, etc....Maybe I missed something, where was the max.....flame away...LOL
Old 05-27-2002, 06:59 AM
Maxima06071

You guys are all funny . I paid $31k for my Loaded IS new without nav. The ONLY advantage the max has over the IS is yes it is faster, but not by whatyou may think. I think someone that is replying to this thread has in their sig that their 2k2 max runs a 14.8? My 5speed IS runs a 14.9. But the IS will run circles around the max in the twisties and will brake about 50 feet short of that stopped traffic while you guys going plowing into it. Plus there is a MUCH bigger aftermarket market out there for the IS. What the maxima is bigger? Yes that is an advantage to some, but that isnt even a factor to a serious driver who appreciates what a great driving car is. Dont get me wrong, I love maximas, but I recognize that the IS is just a better overall driving car. Oh by the way, in the latest road and track they compared all the sport sedans out there, the 330, the IS, the TL-S, etc....Maybe I missed something, where was the max.....flame away...LOL
oh yeah well the Maxima has more back seat...

Old 05-27-2002, 07:15 AM

All this "car vs. car" always ends up like this: Even though your Max beat my IS on the actual road, the mags say my IS handles better, better value and can cook breakfast for me in the morning .

The true display of car prowess, IMO, is in the driver and how they drive/manipulate the car on the "actual road". I doesn't matter whether a car is too big or too small, if the IS got beat, hell, it got friggin' smoked. No need to bring up magazine stats and junk. When you line up for a race, do you tell the other driver "Road & Track says my car can do the 1/4 in 14.9. So don't **** with me."

As far as the IS goes, it got what it deserved. About most of the IS owners I know from work and in my subdivision are cocky as hell (can anyone tell me why?), all talk, no walk; all show and definitely NO go.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:16 AM

I find it extremely hard to believe you got a 5spd IS300 to run 14.9.
I know 3 2K2 IS300 5spd drivers, and I used to run 15.03 in the 1/4mi. How come no matter how many times I ran them, I would walk on them quickly. Even at the track, they were running low to mid 15s, one automatic ran a 16.1 LMAO. Stock for Stock, an IS300 will run around Circles a Maxima, thats a given, straightline you even admit, that the Maxima is faster, so what's the point now ? This was a SPEED CONTEST~!~!~!!~~!
As for the R&T article Maxima was already tested, go look for when it was tested, and you tell me what it says.

-Peace

Old 05-27-2002, 07:40 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

The ONLY advantage the max has over the IS is yes it is faster, but not by whatyou may think. I think someone that is replying to this thread has in their sig that their 2k2 max runs a 14.8? My 5speed IS runs a 14.9.
LOL, compare apples to apples. 14.8 is what an auto 2k2 will run. The 6spd's run solid low-14's.

What the maxima is bigger? Yes that is an advantage to some, but that isnt even a factor to a serious driver who appreciates what a great driving car is.
So because I drive a larger car I therefore can't appreciate what a great driving car is?

Not.

I drive a Maxima because I want a mid-sized car that's at least somewhat sporty (unlike my deceased Accord V6) and not a compact like the IS300. However, I know the Maxima's place in the world and wouldn't begin to think that it could hang with an entry-lux A4/3-series/IS in the twisties without suspension mods.

Glad you're enjoying your IS300. Between the 3-series, A4, and the IS I'd take the IS any day (Japanese quality/reliability)
Old 05-27-2002, 07:45 AM
Blu
the tits

yes you are missing something look at the price range about 6-12K more than the max that might be what your missing
Old 05-27-2002, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by TRUblu2K2

yes you are missing something look at the price range about 6-12K more than the max that might be what your missing

called P-Nis-NV

Old 05-27-2002, 08:03 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by Chimp Dj

called P-Nis-NV
Old 05-27-2002, 08:32 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SteVTEC
LOL, compare apples to apples. 14.8 is what an auto 2k2 will run. The 6spd's run solid low-14's.

So because I drive a larger car I therefore can't appreciate what a great driving car is?

Not.

I drive a Maxima because I want a mid-sized car that's at least somewhat sporty (unlike my deceased Accord V6) and not a compact like the IS300. However, I know the Maxima's place in the world and wouldn't begin to think that it could hang with an entry-lux A4/3-series/IS in the twisties without suspension mods.

Glad you're enjoying your IS300. Between the 3-series, A4, and the IS I'd take the IS any day (Japanese quality/reliability)
the way mine is set up now i wouldn't hesitate to run an IS through the twisties. i love my suspension setup and tires, i can drift easily now.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Sanduguero

Originally posted by RastaManMax

aaawwwwwwwwww, somebody's fuming because they have a slower car... What would you do if you owned a Viper? Not race anybody because you know that 95% of the people out there have a slower car than you? Have some fun man...
Old 05-27-2002, 09:13 AM
Sanduguero

blah,blah, blah get the point
Old 05-27-2002, 09:52 AM

You guys are all funny. I paid $31k for my Loaded IS new without nav.
Hmm, I paid $26,300 for mine...that's like $5,000 difference. If I dropped that on 18" wheels, a big brake kit, and some handling goodies would it be safe to say that my Max would take that IS through the twisties and stop faster...I bet it would

It's a shame you can't get the Altezza over here, that might have been a lot more competitive with the Max. They just ask for so much more $ just for that little L on the grille.

Plus there is a MUCH bigger aftermarket market out there for the IS.
Hmm,this is something I don't know if I agree with. I think what you mean is that there is a much bigger aftermarket for the Supras, and you guys can get a lot of that stuff to fit. I had a '96 Thunderbird Sport a few years ago and it was the same deal with the Mustang GT...they shared a common engine. I ended up swapping a '99 GT motor into it and there was a lot of stuff for those motors(the '99 was much better than the '96 motor due to redesigned heads). Not a lot of stuff was Thunderbird specific though.

Personally, the aftermarket for a car is a big deal to me and after reading a lot over at IS300.net, I didn't see any larger of an aftermarket for the IS than the Max. And to boot, everything is more expensive for the IS because they know you guys paid more money so they jack the prices up.

Dont get me wrong, I love maximas, but I recognize that the IS is just a better overall driving car. Oh by the way, in the latest road and track they compared all the sport sedans out there, the 330, the IS, the TL-S, etc....Maybe I missed something, where was the max.....flame away...LOL
As someone said above, they already tested it prior to that. And, the Max is not in the same price range as those cars. I had the opportunity to test drive those same cars and a few others (G35 and Altima) and let me tell you, I didn't pick the Max on its good looks alone (though they helped )...bang for the buck, none of those cars could come close to the Max for the price.

-Johnny Vassilakos
Old 05-27-2002, 09:53 AM

IS300

An IS 300 is a very nice car. For about $30k I could have gotten the same features as my Max. That's $5000 more than I paid. What kind of suspension mods can I get for $5k?
Old 05-27-2002, 10:11 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

Youre going to expect me to believe your stock IS300 runs a 14.9.... .... I call B to the S !
Old 05-27-2002, 10:53 AM
Blu
the tits

Youre going to expect me to believe your stock IS300 runs a 14.9.... .... I call B to the S !
never seen a stock is300 auto break into 14's period
Old 05-27-2002, 11:03 AM

everyone here knows where there car is in the food chain except the IS owner

Originally posted by TRUblu2K2

never seen a stock is300 auto break into 14's period
OT but, do you have any pics of your seats?
Old 05-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Blu
the tits

no digi cam but trying to get my lazy *** to the store so i can get some pics posted but i do have them. As a matter of fact since so many people have asked about it now i think i will got today a buy a cam. I need to install my springs RSB and if greg gets his FSTB in soon i will have that too. I will try to have pics up sometime this week

OT but, do you have any pics of your seats? [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 05-27-2002, 12:10 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Manufacturer data for the IS300 stick is 15.1. MFR data is usually a bit conservative, and they wouldn't claim a 15.1 if it wasn't possible.

A nice parallel is the BMW 330i stick. It runs solid high-14's stock. The IS300 doesn't quite have the power to weight that the 330i does, but it's also RWD and you can get it with an LSD as well. I think with a good driver and the right conditions that a 14.xx run from a stock IS30 stick is very possible.
Old 05-27-2002, 04:27 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Oh no, not this 330 thing again !
Old 05-28-2002, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Manufacturer data for the IS300 stick is 15.1. MFR data is usually a bit conservative, and they wouldn't claim a 15.1 if it wasn't possible.

A nice parallel is the BMW 330i stick. It runs solid high-14's stock. The IS300 doesn't quite have the power to weight that the 330i does, but it's also RWD and you can get it with an LSD as well. I think with a good driver and the right conditions that a 14.xx run from a stock IS30 stick is very possible.
Oooh, then I destroyed a 15.1 OEM Spec Car....:blown away:

BTW I had 4 people + 100lbs of equipment in the car.

Wait my car isn't stock...fock n/m.

Old 05-28-2002, 08:16 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by maximawanabee

All this "car vs. car" always ends up like this: Even though your Max beat my IS on the actual road, the mags say my IS handles better, better value and can cook breakfast for me in the morning .

The true display of car prowess, IMO, is in the driver and how they drive/manipulate the car on the "actual road". I doesn't matter whether a car is too big or too small, if the IS got beat, hell, it got friggin' smoked. No need to bring up magazine stats and junk. When you line up for a race, do you tell the other driver "Road & Track says my car can do the 1/4 in 14.9. So don't **** with me."

As far as the IS goes, it got what it deserved. About most of the IS owners I know from work and in my subdivision are cocky as hell (can anyone tell me why?), all talk, no walk; all show and definitely NO go.
\

Old 05-28-2002, 08:18 AM
RussMaxManiac

Maximas with the rear beam and full suspension will NOT take a IS300 in the twisties. I have already seen this happen. No matter what you do, IRS still is better and RWD.

Old 05-28-2002, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Maximas with the rear beam and full suspension will NOT take a IS300 in the twisties. I have already seen this happen. No matter what you do, IRS still is better and RWD.
Equal drivers, maybe, there are too many variables when it comes to driving twisties. FWD vs RWD, there are advantages and disadvantages. Not too many FWD can handle like RWD Cars.(General Statement)
However, its not totally out of the question for a FWD to beat a RWD car around turns.

Maxima vs IS300, it is possible for a Maxima to outhandle a IS300 due to a slight twitch I experience everytime I drive an IS300, a bit rough at the limits, and too much throttle kicks the rear out in a hurry, which 99% of most IS300 owners CANNOT Control. A Maxima that is set up correctly w/ Springs, Shocks, and RSB can be less of a burden to control, and promote more confidence in the driver, and will be closer to neutral than an IS300, should the IS300 be modified to be balanced in corners, then the IS300 has the edge, but I would still choose a balanced FWD Car vs Balanced RWD Car.

IRS is only good when it can control the camber and toe changes of bumpy roads in the corners, the wrong alignment setting or the change over a period of time cannot be predicted, especially when being tossed around, and may cause sudden loss of grip or control.
Rear beam suspension, such as Nissan's as inherent disadvantages, but the advantages that do count are minimal camber or toe change in bumpy corners, predictable alignment settings over time, even if hammered around, on a flat surface, tires stay planted, and remain planted through turns. The only ugly thing is that the rubber used on front trailarm pivot points are soft, and so is the Scott Russel drop link in the middle, if there was some support to switch to poly or slightly stiffer rubber, handling would improve two fold easily as it would prevent unwanted side motion, which does cause a "skip" over large bumps.

-Peace

Quick Reply: Killed 2001 auto IS300