5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tokico/Shox.com/Maxspeed/etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 11:00 AM

Tokico/Shox.com/Maxspeed/etc.

Well, after bugging everyone about it for about a month, I finally did it. I ordered Toks for my bouncy GXE/Maxspeed setup. The initial quote from Shox.com was $328. I asked about a Maxima.org discount and he sold them to me for $310 (membership has it's privs?). Anyway, shipped it was $338.

It took me so long to get them cuz (duh) there's no simple answer for aftermarket shocks for 5th gens, and this was the best I could do. And I ordered them after a mere 64% flawless rate on my poll:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ght=after+year

So, I am a bit nervous I guess, but somehow I think it'll be fine.

They should be here next week and I'll get them on soon after. I think I may be one of the first to go w/ the Maxspeed/Tokico combo, no?

Jeez, I hope I did the right thing! I am really ready to settle down with my car and just make car payments. Hope this cures the bug.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:36 AM
Maxima Pilot

Cool beans! Just remember to trim those

bump stops while u have the suspension disassembled!
Old 05-29-2002, 11:40 AM

Re: Cool beans! Just remember to trim those

Originally posted by Galo
Definitely! I figured why make my install guy take my suspension apart twice. 2 birds is worth 1 stone in the bush You know what I mean.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:41 AM

Re: Tokico/Shox.com/Maxspeed/etc.

Originally posted by noflash
Well, after bugging everyone about it for about a month, I finally did it. I ordered Toks for my bouncy GXE/Maxspeed setup. The initial quote from Shox.com was $328. I asked about a Maxima.org discount and he sold them to me for $310 (membership has it's privs?). Anyway, shipped it was $338.

It took me so long to get them cuz (duh) there's no simple answer for aftermarket shocks for 5th gens, and this was the best I could do. And I ordered them after a mere 64% flawless rate on my poll:

They should be here next week and I'll get them on soon after. I think I may be one of the first to go w/ the Maxspeed/Tokico combo, no?

Jeez, I hope I did the right thing! I am really ready to settle down with my car and just make car payments. Hope this cures the bug.

It will make you want to go faster thats for sure! Thats why I wouldn't plan on settling down!
Old 05-29-2002, 11:54 AM

Damn Circo, those Moda R6's look Niiiiiiice... Just when I was thinking I was happy with my stock SE wheels for a while, you go and make me think otherwise... I was having trouble deciding what my favorite 18" were, Mille Miglia Evo5 or Moda R6, and I think after seeing them on yours (mine is black too) I think the R6's have the trophy... Props to you.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Cool beans! Just remember to trim those

Originally posted by Galo
I just ordered the Tokico's from Shox too.. The Bumpstops, do I need them on my 2001? What exactly does it do? Where can I buy it??
Old 05-29-2002, 04:22 PM

Re: Re: Cool beans! Just remember to trim those

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

I just ordered the Tokico's from Shox too.. The Bumpstops, do I need them on my 2001? What exactly does it do? Where can I buy it??
You have bumpstops already. They prevent your car from bottoming out. When you get lowering springs you should trim (it has been said) 30mm of the front and 26mm from the back. The rears appear to be easier said than done, b/c those bumpstops are attached to dustcovers. There is a way (it has been said) to trim the rear w/o destroying the rear dustcovers, but they can be just as easily replaced if they are. My front were trimmed by my install guy. I gave him the explanation above (from members here) and he feels confident in trimming the rears during shock/strut installation.

capiche?
Old 05-29-2002, 07:03 PM

What happens if you don't trim??? I just bought the Maxspeeds on the group deal that just ended yesterday, but now I want to know if I can run them with my stock struts. Please tell me if that would be ok or not, also please explain the trimming thing.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2002, 08:20 PM

Re: Tokico/Shox.com/Maxspeed/etc.

won't the Tokicos make ur bounce even worse?
Old 05-30-2002, 03:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Tokico/Shox.com/Maxspeed/etc.

Originally posted by Trunksu

Why would it make it worse? he's using stock shocks/struts which can't handle the rate they compress. With stiffer shock/struts he shouldn't bounce as much
Old 05-30-2002, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by armando8a
What happens if you don't trim??? I just bought the Maxspeeds on the group deal that just ended yesterday, but now I want to know if I can run them with my stock struts. Please tell me if that would be ok or not, also please explain the trimming thing.

Thanks
If you don't trim you will hit the bumpstops going over... bumps and you will get a nice BANG from your suspension. B/c you lowered your car you need to allow for a little more travel area on the shock/strut. You can trim w/ a hacksaw. For more info do a search on "Bumpstop".
Old 05-30-2002, 06:57 AM

Re: Re: Tokico/Shox.com/Maxspeed/etc.

I gotta say I don't understand this question either. Sport springs on stock struts (esp GXE) can make for a boucy ride. That is, you bounce ~twice for every one bump/dip in the road. Sport struts stop this phenom.

So, to answer your question... no.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tokico/Shox.com/Maxspeed/etc.

I gotta say I don't understand this question either. Sport springs on stock struts (esp GXE) can make for a boucy ride. That is, you bounce ~twice for every one bump/dip in the road. Sport struts stop this phenom.

So, to answer your question... no.
well actually I was really thinking about how "big" of a bounce you get, not how many bounces one gets. I didn't know that a stock strut like an GXE with sport springs can cause so many bounces in just one dip.

so as a result i thought about the softness of the Tokicos, especially compared the stock SE. so when you hit a dip... but yeah i guess you wouldn't bounce twice eh?
Old 05-31-2002, 07:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tokico/Shox.com/Maxspeed/etc.

well actually I was really thinking about how "big" of a bounce you get, not how many bounces one gets. I didn't know that a stock strut like an GXE with sport springs can cause so many bounces in just one dip.

so as a result i thought about the softness of the Tokicos, especially compared the stock SE. so when you hit a dip... but yeah i guess you wouldn't bounce twice eh?
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tokico/Shox.com/Maxspeed/etc.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
good luck.