5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stillen Pulley"s ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 08:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stillen Pulley"s ?

Just wanted to know if anyone has installed the Stillen Pulley's yet for there 02 Max? Thanks!

Eric
Old 06-04-2002, 08:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Stillen Pulley"s ?

Originally posted by MaxNcbr
Just wanted to know if anyone has installed the Stillen Pulley's yet for there 02 Max? Thanks!

Eric
Stillen Pulleys are manufactured by Unorthodox Racing.

Check here:

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Gar...xSE/2K2UDP.htm
Old 06-04-2002, 08:41 AM
wat

Pulley

Mine is installed also.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do you feel that it was worth the $$ ook2me40?
Old 06-04-2002, 11:51 AM
wat

Worth it?

I think it was. It is hard to tell if it actually does anything substantial to be honest...but what I do see is my car idleing at about 400 and a little increase in low end power. That is my opinion. It may not be the same for you or anyone else.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:18 PM

Re: Stillen Pulley"s ?

Originally posted by MaxNcbr

Eric
The stock pulley is 5.8 lbs, the UDP is 1.3 lbs, hard to imagine how such a change wouldn't be worthwhile. Hey wouldn't a 4.5 lb weight reduction on something rotating (like a bunch of guys say about wheels) be worth 8-10 times as much, meaning you'd be knocking nearly 45 lbs off your car??? NOT!!!

Anyway, the thing I like about it is the way the rpm now drops faster and doesn't hang up there like the stocker. This can't possibly make the car slower.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:49 PM

Re: Re: Stillen Pulley"s ?

Originally posted by Paul D.

The stock pulley is 5.8 lbs, the UDP is 1.3 lbs, hard to imagine how such a change wouldn't be worthwhile. Hey wouldn't a 4.5 lb weight reduction on something rotating (like a bunch of guys say about wheels) be worth 8-10 times as much, meaning you'd be knocking nearly 45 lbs off your car??? NOT!!!

Anyway, the thing I like about it is the way the rpm now drops faster and doesn't hang up there like the stocker. This can't possibly make the car slower.
True, but i've heard alot about the downsides to the UDP too. Anyone know all the facts about it? I wanna get one from what i hear, but there are others that advise against it.

Chung-Hsien
Old 06-05-2002, 05:01 PM

I don't doubt the pulley with make an improvement...I question the fact that it cost $179 - $199.
Seems like a lot for a pulley. Compared to the price on UDP's for other cars, I think Unothodox racing has found their niche market and is charging a premium.
Are there any alternatives?????

I want one, I just haven't decided (out of principle) if I'll pay that much for it.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:05 PM
I miss the .org!

Don't you give up some top-end power when you go with lightened UDP, flywheel, that kind of stuff?
Old 06-06-2002, 04:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Stillen Pulley"s ?

Originally posted by xChungHsienx

True, but i've heard alot about the downsides to the UDP too. Anyone know all the facts about it? I wanna get one from what i hear, but there are others that advise against it.

Chung-Hsien
"heard a lot about the downsides"??? Hmmmm, please enlighten me. I've actually been driving around with one for the last month and haven't noticed a single thing (other than improved performance). You must know something I don't. I suspect those who advise against the UDP don't actually have one and are doing so based on some divine wisdom.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
Don't you give up some top-end power when you go with lightened UDP, flywheel, that kind of stuff?
Not that I'm aware of but I have yet to get the car back to the dyno. Thing is, it seems kinda silly to me for one to expect a loss in top end. Like why would driving your accessories at a slower speed cause a loss of power when at high rpm??? And why would knocking 4.5 lbs off the end of the crank cause a loss in top end power??? Seems to be the two things the UDP does would actually cause an increase in top end power not a loss. Maybe you know something I don't?
Old 06-06-2002, 04:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have been running underdrive pulleys for years. They work! I have gotten as much as .2 1/4 mile improvement with a three piece pulley system on my Mustang. On my Camaro I got about .1 and 9 hp on the dyno with just a crank pulley. I have also gotten a little better fuel economy as well.

On the down side, it will turn your accessories slower. Generally the only time this is a problem is in heavy traffic, with prolonged periods of idling. The alternator does not put out much at idle so periodically you have to give your engine a little rpm to keep the battery charged if you plan to keep the ac on. You ac may not cool quite as good at idle either. If you have a standard transmission you can up the idle 25% and it will operate just like the factory pulley. Most UD crank pulleys are 25% reduction.

One word of caution. You noted that the pulley for our Maxima's is only 1.3 pounds? Is it a harmonic balancer? I would be careful if it is a one piece pulley. It may not eliminate harmonics and could cause long term damage to crank bearings. A true harmonic balancer underdrive will have molded rubber between the hub of the UD and the outer ring. My 98 Camaro made by ASP is a true harmonic balancer.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by Larry
You noted that the pulley for our Maxima's is only 1.3 pounds? Is it a harmonic balancer?
Is it? Because I just ordered one and im going to return it if this is going to cause damage
Old 06-11-2002, 09:54 AM

"Isn't my stock crank/eccentric pulley a balancer, harmonic/torsional, or vibrational damper?"

A common misconception is that factory crank pulleys on certain vehicles are harmonic dampers. The fact is, on todays late model cars the factory crank pulley is designed to reduce NVH (noise / vibration / harshness), which does not affect crankshaft or bearing life. These are noises and vibrations from the engine compartment that may travel into the cabin of the vehicle when the engine is running and the stock crank pulley is used to reduce NVH for the occupants (similar to the use of resonators in the intake to quiet intake noise). We do not manufacture crank pulleys that replace or eliminate a damper in applications where the factory crank pulley is an actual harmonic damper (such as 90 degree V engines).

Our pulleys are lightweight, CNC-machined 6061-T6 aluminum and are by design "0" balanced. Because of this, owners have called to tell us how much smoother their engine feels after installing our pulleys. Unorthodox Racing has been manufacturing and selling pulleys for over 5 years without a single engine failure due to the replacement of the stock crank pulley. This is testament to the quality and reliability of our products.

Source: http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq_pulleys.html
Old 06-11-2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by JohnNixon
I don't doubt the pulley with make an improvement...I question the fact that it cost $179 - $199.
Seems like a lot for a pulley. Compared to the price on UDP's for other cars, I think Unothodox racing has found their niche market and is charging a premium.
Are there any alternatives?????
I
I've had quite a bit of experience with underdrive pulleys. My first was a set for my '85 Stang GT. My buddy had the same car and I was able to pull off 1/4 mile times that were consistantly quicker, by about .2 of a sec. The diff was 14.65 vs his 14.8's. The stang ones weren't that great, because they underdrove too much, and my headlights would dim when I was sitting at a light. My '96 Stang Gt's were better, and I never had a problem. Felt quicker too. My '98 GSR pulleys were Unorthodox. I must say, of all the mods I put on the car, besides the AEM CAI, these seemed to help the most. Unorthodox doesn't underdrive all that much, they basically make lighter pulleys to free up HP. It's kinda nice. Don't expect to really feel any mod, unless it's Nitrous. My best advice is to head to the track/dyno before and after each mod and find out exactly what's going on. $200 is a lot of $$ for 3-5 HP...but that's kinda how it goes in this business.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:50 AM

is anyone running a system with the UDP?? has it changed anything in the way your system performs?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:38 AM

I've run with a UDP for years, both on my '99 Maxima and now on my 2K2 with no problems. They work great, give you a little extra low end and do not cause problems with air conditioning or power steering. Now that the host weather has arrived I use my A/C every day and it's COLD, believe me.

My 2K2 was the first VQ35 with a UDP.

Check my site out (link at left).
Old 06-12-2002, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by GregP
I've run with a UDP for years, both on my '99 Maxima and now on my 2K2 with no problems. They work great, give you a little extra low end and do not cause problems with air conditioning or power steering. Now that the host weather has arrived I use my A/C every day and it's COLD, believe me.

My 2K2 was the first VQ35 with a UDP.

Check my site out (link at left).
Your web site has been on my favorites list for a long time, Greg. And it's always a pleasure to peruse it. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-12-2002, 05:38 PM

Thanks, Y2KSE. I haven't put much up there for the 2K2, mainly because I haven't really done much with it. I am loving it so much just the way it is - stock. I've only done an FSTB, sway bar and the UDP so far. I have hesitated to do any type of intake because I don't want to lose any low-end power, which is my personal preference over high-end power. The car has so much grunt and is so quiet compare to my modded '99, it's really amazing.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by GregP
Thanks, Y2KSE. I haven't put much up there for the 2K2, mainly because I haven't really done much with it. I am loving it so much just the way it is - stock. I've only done an FSTB, sway bar and the UDP so far. I have hesitated to do any type of intake because I don't want to lose any low-end power, which is my personal preference over high-end power. The car has so much grunt and is so quiet compare to my modded '99, it's really amazing.
I'm thinking that 2K2 of yours has SO much grunt that you could afford to give away a little bit if doing so really helped out on top. Maybe you should consider getting a Berk Tuning intake while Bryan has them on sale for all of $55.00! Even if you don't like it, you could always turn around after Bryan raises his prices and sell it for practically what you paid for it. And it would give you a new toy to play with.

Check out this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=126926
Old 06-12-2002, 06:22 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by y2kse

I'm thinking that 2K2 of yours has SO much grunt that you could afford to give away a little bit if doing so really helped out on top. Maybe you should consider getting a Berk Tuning intake while Bryan has them on sale for all of $55.00! Even if you don't like it, you could always turn around after Bryan raises his prices and sell it for practically what you paid for it. And it would give you a new toy to play with.

Check out this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=126926
Are you working on commission?