5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

tired of loud exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 09:43 PM
Mauja He Mauja

tired of loud exhaust

i am getting tired of the powertech muffler. everytime i take clients to a business lunch, everone gets irritated by how loud it is. is there a way to get a flange welded, so that i can change it myself when i want to go back to stock instead of having to take it to the greasy muffler guys?? you know like the catalytic converter can be taken off by the 4 bolts,,there has to be some way
Old 06-05-2002, 09:46 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: tired of loud exhaust

Originally posted by dba1999us
i am getting tired of the powertech muffler. everytime i take clients to a business lunch, everone gets irritated by how loud it is. is there a way to get a flange welded, so that i can change it myself when i want to go back to stock instead of having to take it to the greasy muffler guys?? you know like the catalytic converter can be taken off by the 4 bolts,,there has to be some way
unless its welded in, its just two bolts to take it off. u might just wany to throw a resonator on it reallt helps, but nothin quiets it down like the stock muffler.

Old 06-06-2002, 03:44 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

unless its welded in, its just two bolts to take it off. u might just wany to throw a resonator on it reallt helps, but nothin quiets it down like the stock muffler.
it is welded in right now. but i am thinking of getting the bolt thing done to it. has anyone else tried that?
Old 06-06-2002, 03:56 PM

Re: tired of loud exhaust

which powertech muffler do you have?
Old 06-06-2002, 03:56 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

Originally posted by SillePimp

which powertech muffler do you have?
the dual 4" tip
Old 06-06-2002, 03:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

it is welded in right now. but i am thinking of getting the bolt thing done to it. has anyone else tried that?
Explain "welded in" and "bolt thing", dba1999us. Do you mean that someone cut your OEM rear section off and welded a new rear section directly to your B-pipe? If not, there's already a flange where the rear section attaches to the B-pipe. And it's connected by two bolts as 2K1HoMax pointed out.

Also, a muffler alone shouldn't be producing that much noise if the rest of your exhaust system is stock. Unfortunately you don't list your mods. So it's difficult for us to give you good suggestions when you're forcing us to shoot in the dark.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:10 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Re: Re: Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

Originally posted by y2kse

Explain "welded in" and "bolt thing", dba1999us. Do you mean that someone cut your OEM rear section off and welded a new rear section directly to your B-pipe? If not, there's already a flange where the rear section attaches to the B-pipe. And it's connected by two bolts as 2K1HoMax pointed out.

Also, a muffler alone shouldn't be producing that much noise if the rest of your exhaust system is stock. Unfortunately you don't list your mods. So there's no way for us to give you much in the way of advice when you're forcing us to shoot in the dark.
ok i am sorry for the confusion. i only have the after market muffler, rest of it is stock. the idiots that put on the muffler, not only did they drop the stock muffler and caused damage to the tips, also they cut the stock muffler off the main pipe and welded the powertech. i am going to take it to some other place and watch them do it this time. but seriuosly it gets very loud, in high gears.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

ok i am sorry for the confusion. i only have the after market muffler, rest of it is stock. the idiots that put on the muffler, not only did they drop the stock muffler and caused damage to the tips, also they cut the stock muffler off the main pipe and welded the powertech. i am going to take it to some other place and watch them do it this time. but seriuosly it gets very loud, in high gears.
If it's any comfort to you, the first muffler shop I went to did the same thing to me that yours did to you. Except they didn't damage my stock muffler. But I had to learn the hard way too.

OK. First off, it's bullsh!t that the muffler shop damaged your stock muffler. You should make them repair what they damaged . . . assuming you kept your stock muffler and what's left of the rear section. Then you should go to a REPUTABLE muffler shop and have a flange welded back onto your B-pipe so that you can reattach your stock rear section when you want to. That means, of course, that you'll have to cut your Powertech off your B-pipe and have that flanged as well. I'm guessing the entire job should run you around $40.00 or so.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2002, 04:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

get a tunable muffler
Old 06-06-2002, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by timby01
get a tunable muffler
I agree. That's got to be a better idea than swapping out rear sections. What would you recommend, timby01? And exactly how does a tunable muffler work?
Old 06-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Mauja He Mauja

If it's any comfort to you, the first muffler shop I went to did the same thing to me that yours did to you. Except they didn't damage my stock muffler. But I had to learn the hard way too.

OK. First off, it's bullsh!t that the muffler shop damaged your stock muffler. You should make them repair what they damaged . . . assuming you kept your stock muffler and what's left of the rear section. Then you should go to a REPUTABLE muffler shop and have a flange welded back onto your B-pipe so that you can reattach your stock rear section when you want to. That means, of course, that you'll have to cut your Powertech off your B-pipe and have that flanged as well. I'm guessing the entire job should run you around $40.00 or so.

Good luck!
hey thanks for the advice. thats what i wanted to know,,,so i just need a flange on the powertech...thanks
btw i still have the stock, and the @ss wipes did repair it..
Old 06-06-2002, 04:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

Hey dba1999us, you are just plain right, the PT muffler is loud as hell, I have a Y-Pipe and Intake with the PT muffler and the thing is a bit too loud for me. I'm seriously considering the Cattman Catback system has the next mod on my max, you get the SS Resonator /SS B-Pipe/ SS Muffler for 600$ not a bad deal plus.
Cheers

AA
Old 06-06-2002, 04:25 PM

I agree. That's got to be a better idea than swapping out rear sections. What would you recommend, timby01? And exactly how does a tunable muffler work?
i got an obx tunable and when i get tired of the noise i just put in the thing takes 3 sec and it's just as quiet as stock
Old 06-06-2002, 04:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

hey thanks for the advice. thats what i wanted to know,,,so i just need a flange on the powertech...thanks
btw i still have the stock, and the @ss wipes did repair it..
Good. But I'd suggest you pay attention to what timby01 has to say. Your solution may be as simple as swapping out mufflers! And you can always sell the Powertech.

Old 06-06-2002, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by doublea

I'm seriously considering the Cattman Catback system has the next mod on my max, you get the SS Resonator /SS B-Pipe/ SS Muffler for 600$ not a bad deal plus.
Uhhh. Check my sig under pet peeves.

I might be willing to agree with you on the Cattman B-pipe. But I'd call $350.00 for a muffler "rape". Why anyone would spend 3 times more than they need to for a SS muffler is simply beyond me.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:35 PM

resonator?
Old 06-06-2002, 04:36 PM

I'd call $350.00 for a muffler "rape". Why anyone would spend 3 times more than they need to for a muffler is simply beyond me.
u can get a universal muffler and a full custom catback done by a very reputable muffler shop for like 300
Old 06-06-2002, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Pmp-n8a
resonator?
Possibly. You might be able to add a small resonator after the bend in the B-pipe. But I'm not sure how much sound deadening that would add.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

Originally posted by timby01
u can get a universal muffler and a full custom catback done by a very reputable muffler shop for like 300 . . .
or less for crush bends. For $300.00 you should be able to get 2.5" pipe, mandrel bends and a new resonator on top of a SS muffler. Fabricating an exhaust system just isn't rocket science! And paying $600.00 for one is, to use a nice word, extravagant.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:33 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have a powertech, and after I launch, I really dont hear it at all... Im not sure what excessive noise you mean ? Could the noise levels be different between 2K and 2K2 ??
Old 06-06-2002, 06:34 PM
2K1HoMax

the only thing i really like about the stock flanges is that, u can cut the old pipe off of it, and reweld a 2 1/2" pipe in its place it can hold a bigger diameter pipe than the stock 2". as soon as i get my bs ticket off, im thinkin of gettin the RT cat(which i shoyuld have gotten a long time ago) and the cattman midpipe with the resonator at the same time. should be good for another 10hp toghether. but im still gonna keep the stock muffler on for now, thinkin of cuttin it open and perminently removing the butterfly flap.
mmmmmmm....sleeper

Old 06-06-2002, 06:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I might be willing to agree with you on the Cattman B-pipe. But I'd call $350.00 for a muffler "rape". Why anyone would spend 3 times more than they need to for a SS muffler is simply beyond me.
man...u are just everywhere with this thing, aren't u?
Old 06-06-2002, 06:41 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Aren't tunable mufflers those Rice Rocket things that have the funny looking rear hole ?
Old 06-06-2002, 06:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

Originally posted by irvine78

man...u are just everywhere with this thing, aren't u?
You ought to see me when I get going on 235/45R17 tires on OEM rims.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:48 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

Sorry, but Im working on a project that might PI$$ you off, ...LOL !
Old 06-06-2002, 06:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

Originally posted by kloogy
Sorry, but Im working on a project that might PI$$ you off, ...LOL !
OOH! OOH! Bring it on!
Old 06-06-2002, 06:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tired of loud exhaust

You ought to see me when I get going on 235/45R17 tires on OEM rims.
yeah...good luck
Old 06-06-2002, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
Aren't tunable mufflers those Rice Rocket things that have the funny looking rear hole ?
I think that's right. And if I have a concern with them, it's that they appear to deaden noise by increasing backpressure. I'm not sure how much backpressure they create, but it doesn't sound like an elegant design to me.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:58 PM

I think that's right. And if I have a concern with them, it's that they appear to deaden noise by increasing backpressure. I'm not sure how much backpressure they create, but it doesn't sound like an elegant design to me.
don't they just use a sliencer and a modualr can?

if you put a sliencer on there, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a performance muffler tho...
Old 06-06-2002, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by irvine78

if you put a sliencer on there, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a performance muffler tho...
That's what I was thinking . . .