5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What's the lowdown on Traction Control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 02:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What's the lowdown on Traction Control?

Just wondering if it's worth getting.

Would it have any use in So. Cal. under 'normal' dry conditions or is designed more for use in the Arctic Tundra when your wheels are stuck?

One of the big car magazines (I forgot which one) said it helped to correct some of the torque steering issues when driving on winding roads...?

Can anyone set this straight?
Old 06-12-2002, 02:32 PM
Very sound, Mike

Here's my 2c.

The TCS is useful under any circumstances where traction is at a minimum such as when coming out of a turn on a highspeed run or during wet conditions. (esp. from a stop).

It does also help minimize torque steer esp. on the 2k2 where the torque is easily tapped at lower rpms (eg. again talking about enthusiastic acceleration from a stop). If you've tried gunning it on a wet road from a stop w/o TCS you'll know what i mean. I've had it so bad once to the point of almost hitting the car beside me. I had to correct the steering and minimize pumping of the accel pedal to get back to normal.

However here's other things i've noticed.

1) After installing the FSTB and checking tire pressure the Torque steer have minimized significantly. I still get wheel spin (Potenza's) on wet roads from a stop but hardly any torque steer.

2) Those with TCS equipped vehicles always report slightly slower 60ft times which hints that this system limits the power to the wheels rather than actually providing power to the wheel with less grip. (e.g. as what an differential would do)

3) Given statement 2 above, one can probably achieve the "TCS-effect" by just properly regulating the gas pedal during situations where traction is at a minimum.

Granted, TCS works automatically whereas the "manual" method mentioned above would have a slightly higher reaction time they both would function similarly.

Which brings me to my conclusion, TCS is an option for that reason... it's not necessarily needed. I once kicked myself in the *ss for not getting TCS on my Max but as i slowly learned how this beast functions i've learned to adjust my driving style to tap the power in the most efficient (and safest) way possible.

Get TCS if you want peace of mind. Otherwise, it's not an absolute necessity.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

You're right on the money. TCS has no ability to transfer power inbetween the two drive wheels. The only way the TCS can help regain traction is by limiting power to the offending wheel.

Originally posted by soundmike
Here's my 2c.
2) Those with TCS equipped vehicles always report slightly slower 60ft times which hints that this system limits the power to the wheels rather than actually providing power to the wheel with less grip. (e.g. as what an differential would do)

Old 06-12-2002, 03:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's some good info. Thanks.

IIRC, you can turn this off and on at will, right?

It seems like it would be a nice thing to have, but I think it may be hard/impossible to get that as the only option (i.e. base SE model w/ nothing but traction control) since I don't want a sunroof, Leather, Bose, microwave, laundry hookups, toilet etc...is that true?
Old 06-12-2002, 03:13 PM
Very sound, Mike

Yep, you can turn it off at-will. But from what i've read it turns on automatically everytime you start the car. I could be wrong.

I had the same mindset when i first got my car, a stripped SE. And that's exactly what i got. Only option was the floormats

My mom was lucky, she couldn't find a stripped SE and our salesman wanted to sell her one so bad that he sold a sunroof-equipped SE for less than what i paid for my car instead. I was happy yet frustrated at the same time LOL.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:34 PM

Re: What's the lowdown on Traction Control?

Originally posted by SquidBeak
Just wondering if it's worth getting.

Can anyone set this straight?
The low down is that I don't have it...but I wish I did...however, after reading those posts, perhaps I'm glad I don't! I've only had one instance where I spun too much...it was going uphill in the rain from a standstill...steep hill too.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:38 PM

Simple solution...turn the TCS when drag racing.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Very sound, Mike

Which kinda beats the purpose of having TCS in the first place don't you think?

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

Simple solution...turn the TCS when drag racing.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:44 PM

Which kinda beats the purpose of having TCS in the first place don't you think?
It depends on the TCS.

The only mode that Nissan's TCS knows is to bog the engine. This is a good high speed traction control, but a really lousy low speed traction control, especially for a "performance" car. If you want your best launch, you turn your tcs off.

The best was on my contour. At low speeds, the ABS system would detect which wheel didn't have traction, and APPLIED THE BRAKE to that wheel. So, on takeoff, if you lost traction to one or both drive wheels, the system would apply the brakes until all wheels matched speed. But at least you were still in your powerband.

On the Max at launch, if ABS detects slippage, it starves the engine of fuel. So you bog, out of the powerband, and it takes a second or two to recover. If you're not paying attention, you might think your trans is slipping.

Is it worth getting? Yes. Ever hydroplane?
Old 06-13-2002, 08:32 AM

It bugs me that you don't get the TCS if you get the 6-speed. Lots of other car companies offer it with manual transmission, front or rear wheel drive. It would be a nice thing to have with Chicago winters...
Old 06-13-2002, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by carguyrob
It bugs me that you don't get the TCS if you get the 6-speed. Lots of other car companies offer it with manual transmission, front or rear wheel drive. It would be a nice thing to have with Chicago winters...
That's what the HLSD is for, if you can find it!
Old 06-13-2002, 10:00 AM
Very sound, Mike

True, TCS vs. HLSD i'd take the differential any day. However, finding it on a 6spd is like a needle in a haystack.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:18 AM

Don't have TCS, don't miss it. It never rains here in San Diego .