5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

PAM???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 12:51 PM

I am driving home for winter break and its 1800 miles of bugs begging to attach themselves to my car. My question revolvs around what I read in Maxim this month. They say that if you spray PAM on your hood the bugs will wash right off. Now I bet that is true, but is there any harm that can be done to the paint? I will probably wax the hood liberally before I leave anyway, but will this work? or is it not worth the side effects? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2000, 01:39 PM

I would say it'll work but it might be a messy job. kinda like now RainX makes the windows slick and the bugs don't really stick to the windshield with a fresh Coat of RainX, would think anything greesy would be the same way, but I can tell U if U have a dark color car U can tell greese on the car just like when U put wet tire on the car and it sprays all over the place b/c of wind and like a day later U get little spots on the car..would think Pam would be the same way but worse.
Old 12-05-2000, 03:12 PM

When you say driving home [for winter break], I assume you mean from college.. Before you leave, find a chem professor, and ask them.. They are prolly much more qualified to answer that question than anyone else here...

When I have a prob. with bugs, all I do is wet the car (with a hose), until they get soft... then I use a soapy sponge (a REALLY SOFT SPONGE GUYS), to gently wash them off...

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
I am driving home for winter break and its 1800 miles of bugs begging to attach themselves to my car. My question revolvs around what I read in Maxim this month. They say that if you spray PAM on your hood the bugs will wash right off. Now I bet that is true, but is there any harm that can be done to the paint? I will probably wax the hood liberally before I leave anyway, but will this work? or is it not worth the side effects? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2000, 03:18 PM

When I have a prob. with bugs, all I do is wet the car (with a hose), until they get soft... then I use a soapy sponge (a REALLY SOFT SPONGE GUYS), to gently wash them off...
Yeah that a good idea too or if U let the car sit over night in due and then wash it right in the morning when the dew is still on it and scrub a little with a Nylon Sponge, same one U wash dishes with, the bugs come right off and it doesn't damage the paint.
Old 12-05-2000, 03:21 PM

Brillo!!!!! (I kid, of course)

Old 12-05-2000, 09:26 PM

amonia and bleach does the trick for me. of course what I type is not endorsed by me, so any reproduction of my idea is soley the responsibiltiy of the owner. hehehe
Old 12-05-2000, 10:41 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

should note:

there are two types of nylon sponges, they look identical. one is abrasive, the other is not.. be careful.
Old 12-05-2000, 10:57 PM

Pam, rather than a good wash and wax.. ???????
Old 12-06-2000, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
I discovered something that helps to get dead bugs off of my car easier. Use a spray bottle with car wash detergent diluted with water and spray down your car and let it soak BEFORE DRIVING to the car wash. I have found that this also works well on mud/grime on the rest of the car.

[Edited by warrlocked on 12-06-2000 at 10:07 AM]
Old 12-06-2000, 08:05 AM

If you have a black Maxima...

in the summer, just let the engine idle a few minutes, spray the Pam on the hood, and you can have eggs and bacon in no time at all.
Old 12-06-2000, 09:30 AM

Re: If you have a black Maxima...

Originally posted by MI2KSE
in the summer, just let the engine idle a few minutes, spray the Pam on the hood, and you can have eggs and bacon in no time at all.
HAHA!!

well I'll just give her a real good wax job and hope i don't have any leftovers when i wash it. i want this gray lustre looking good forever.