5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tire .. tire.. tire ... I 'm so full of bad luck!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 09:57 PM

Tire .. tire.. tire ... I 'm so full of bad luck!

ok here it's..
first I tried to locate a 225/50/17 other than the potenzahhhh for my 17x7 stock SE rim, and I have no interest of mounting 235/45/17 at all. So despite of all the limitation of SE stock rim, and after so many dicussion on what tire and size to be used I nailed down michelin pilot a/s .. $$$ in value but I believe in a good tires.
But no more 225/50/17 tires available until 2 months from last week, which is ridiculous, so after semi carefull consideration and discussion on this forum I choose 235/50/17 for my next tires, which is still fall and fit for 17x7 rim.

Through so many discussion on this board and hours on the web and phone try to locate a michelin pilot a/s I found a set of 235/50/17 at tirerack for $212 a piece and costco willing to mount and balance all of them for $40. Since they can't get any for them self.

with a big smile and drool over this new set of tires I went to costco and guess what.... They decline mounting and balance these tires on 17x7 stock SE rim on my y2k max.. I am so Pi$$ed, yeah pi$$ed.

they said according to their database/knowledge, NISSAN doesn't give them the recommendation to mount 235/50 on the stock SE rim whatsoever. They said it is very dangerous and it will not fit clearly on the maxima. So they refuse the installation.

So here I am stuck with $900 worth of merchandise, and don;t know what to do . If any body on this forum has any suggestion other than returning this tire to tire rack and get a set of michelin mxm4 for $20 less please let me know.

I am sure a lot of forum member can learned from my expensive experience. Anybody in dallas area know where I can get this tire mount and balance and also one more question is this tire really fit on y2k max.

Thank you all
please respond immediately I need to make decision by tommorow.

Erwin
Old 06-17-2002, 10:00 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Im sure you can find someone that will mount them , if those are the tires you really want.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Tire .. tire.. tire ... I 'm so full of bad luck!

Originally posted by exunaja
ok here it's..
Unfukking believable! Costco is so full of **** . . .

Those tires should fit just fine on a 5th Gen Maxima. The overall diameter of a 235/50R17 is only 1/2" greater than a 245/45R17. And there are guys running 245/45R17 tires on their 5th Gen Maximas right now with no rubbing whatsoever.

Go to any tire shop and have them mounted. Even if you have to pay an extra $10.00 apiece, it's better than having to send them back to Tirerack.com.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:19 PM

Peep this http://tires.michelin-us.com/catalog...ilotxgtz4.html

225/50R17 Z-rated all season ultra high performance tire. This tire lists for $177.00 at my local Sears Auto center. Its loaded with technology, just read the
link I sent you. If I were you I'd take back those Pilots and get the XGT's and save 200 bucks.

Jesse
Old 06-17-2002, 10:23 PM

Re: Re: Tire .. tire.. tire ... I 'm so full of bad luck!

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ
Peep this http://tires.michelin-us.com/catalog/tires/pilotxgtz4.html

225/50R17 Z-rated all season ultra high performance tire. This tire lists for $177.00 at my local Sears Auto center. Its loaded with technology, just read the
link I sent you. If I were you I'd take back those Pilots and get the XGT's and save 200 bucks.

Jesse
That link doesn't work, Jesse. You have to copy and paste it into your browser.

I don't know much about the XGT Z4's, but I imagine they're an excellent high-performance tire.

I still don't think you'll have a problem with the 235/50R17 Pilot Sport A/Ss, Erwin. But if you're concerned about Costco's warning, you might do well to follow Jesse's advice.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:27 PM

Michel XGT Z

(Edited the above link)

The load rating for the tire is 93W so everything matches. The treadwear is 300. Sounds like the perfect tire for the stock rims.

Jesse
Old 06-17-2002, 10:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tire .. tire.. tire ... I 'm so full of bad luck!

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ
(Edited the above link)

The load rating for the tire is 93W so everything matches. The treadwear is 300. Sounds like the perfect tire for the stock rims.

Jesse
Yup. That did it!
Old 06-17-2002, 11:08 PM

Click here and enter your zip code to find an installer near you. Usually performance shop selling bolt on mods and rims should be able to mount them too.

FYI, Pilot Sport A/S is the replacement of Pilot XGT Z4. I've experienced the Pilot XGT Z4 on my Camry and those tires lasted for 67000 ++ miles although the tread wear rating is only 320.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:42 PM

hmm dunno if this matters but..when I my friend drove tires up from LA..to San Luis Obispo to be mounted on my rims that i drove down from Oakland..i got to costco first..paid for the service..7-8 a wheel..moutned and balanced...I told them i had 18" rims...and my friend was gonna bring my tires up in a few minits...30 minits later..my friend arrives with the tires...they just told me to set them on the floor..i dont think they even looked them up on the computer....
Old 06-18-2002, 12:06 AM
CO2kmax

There should be somebody out there that will mount them for you. If you have to, pay them on the side. As far as costco, there was a chart that I read on the org about rim widths and correct tire width's and according to that a 235 on a 7 wide rim would be to big. Also when I ordered my rims they said 225 on a 7.5 was the biggest I Should go, and that was exactly what the chart said. In order to go with a 235 the chart said it would need a 8 wide rim. That is what the chart said, I am not saying that your 235 won't work. One thing it will do is make your speedo off a little because the 235 instead of going wider will go higher and make your total diameter bigger. That may be why costco won't mount them. I could be wrong though. It should not make a bid difference though. Good luck

Old 06-18-2002, 12:48 AM

Ok, first of all, i never let sears, costco, jc-penny,.....to mount tires or do any work on my cars. Find a good performance tire shop and i guranttee you they will do it for maybe $60-$80.

Also, although its not recommended to fit a 235 on a 7" but its definitely safe. To give u an example, i had 265s on 7" wide rims on the FACTORY spec pathfinder. U can argue all u want about 4x4 tires and car tires, but urs will fit with no safety concerns, just make sure it doesnt rub against any suspension parts.

ok here it's..Erwin
Old 06-18-2002, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by CO2kmax

In order to go with a 235 the chart said it would need a 8 wide rim. That is what the chart said. . .
The chart is wrong. A 235 mm tire is in spec on a 7.0"-wide rim PROVIDED the aspect ratio of the tire is 50 or greater. Don't believe me? Look at the T&RA contour (rim width) tables on Page 5 of the FAQs. The T&RA tables are the ultimate authority on the matter of rim widths.

If you need more convincing, look up the rim width specs on the Michelin web site.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:38 AM
jjs

If rubbing is their concern...

I am running a set of Yoko tires in a 225 55/17 size (I like a more compliant ride) and have had NO ISSUES at all! Including speed bumps, potholes, etc. Suspension travel is just fine with the taller tire (which is just about the same overall diameter of what you are trying).
Old 06-18-2002, 06:53 AM

Re: If rubbing is their concern...

Originally posted by jjs
I am running a set of Yoko tires in a 225 55/17 size (I like a more compliant ride) and have had NO ISSUES at all! Including speed bumps, potholes, etc. Suspension travel is just fine with the taller tire (which is just about the same overall diameter of what you are trying).
END OF REPORT!

You are now good to go exunaja. jjs's 225/55R17 tires have a larger overall diameter than your 235/50R17 tires. If his tires don't rub, neither should yours.

Thanks for the input, jjs.

PS: FWIW, I intend to install 235/50R17s when my RE-92s wear out. I also like a somewhat more compliant ride.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:56 AM
jjs

Re: Re: If rubbing is their concern...

Originally posted by y2kse

END OF REPORT!

You are now good to go exunaja. jjs's 225/55R17 tires have a larger overall diameter than your 235/50R17 tires. If his tires don't rub, neither should yours.

Thanks for the input, jjs.
No problem!

Oh, and should someone jump in on this with a 'yeah but'....

NO, I DO NOT have problems with rubbing on turning the wheels lock to lock.

Old 06-18-2002, 06:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: If rubbing is their concern...

Originally posted by jjs

No problem!

Roger that, jjs! Thanks again.

Let us know when you get your Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss installed, exunaja . . . if you decide to install them, that is.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:19 AM

Re: Re: Tire .. tire.. tire ... I 'm so full of bad luck!

Unfukking believable! Costco is so full of **** . . .

Those tires should fit just fine on a 5th Gen Maxima. The overall diameter of a 235/50R17 is only 1/2" greater than a 245/45R17. And there are guys running 245/45R17 tires on their 5th Gen Maximas right now with no rubbing whatsoever.

Go to any tire shop and have them mounted. Even if you have to pay an extra $10.00 apiece, it's better than having to send them back to Tirerack.com.
second that.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Tire .. tire.. tire ... I 'm so full of bad luck!

That link doesn't work, Jesse. You have to copy and paste it into your browser.

I don't know much about the XGT Z4's, but I imagine they're an excellent high-performance tire.

I still don't think you'll have a problem with the 235/50R17 Pilot Sport A/Ss, Erwin. But if you're concerned about Costco's warning, you might do well to follow Jesse's advice.
I am still thinking about it, I believe I will loose the shiping cost anyway + paying for the return shiping.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
hmm dunno if this matters but..when I my friend drove tires up from LA..to San Luis Obispo to be mounted on my rims that i drove down from Oakland..i got to costco first..paid for the service..7-8 a wheel..moutned and balanced...I told them i had 18" rims...and my friend was gonna bring my tires up in a few minits...30 minits later..my friend arrives with the tires...they just told me to set them on the floor..i dont think they even looked them up on the computer....
well some people just have a better luck than me
Old 06-18-2002, 09:24 AM

well some people just have a better luck than me
So what's your plan, exunaja?
Old 06-18-2002, 09:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: If rubbing is their concern...

Originally posted by jjs

No problem!

yeah but... just kidding.. thank you Y2kSE, JJS and all of you.

I will keep on trying at other costco or other performance shops and I'll let u know.

It is very hard for me to chance my mind on another set of tires I have this "love at first sight" feeling with A/S's
so I will try some other local shops.

I need to made up my mind by the end of today.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:33 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: If rubbing is their concern...

I will keep on trying at other costco or other performance shops and I'll let u know.

It is very hard for me to chance my mind on another set of tires I have this "love at first sight" feeling with A/S's

Not sure how much of a decision there is to make really...

you got the tires, you like the look and from what others have said the performance is great, you have covered the safety issues, just one last little hurdle and you are home free on a great set of tires you will enjoy for quite some time to come.

Come on, I know it is a pain in the butt to have a good plan screwed up by other idiots, but one or two days of trying to find and actually get an installation shop (trust me, there are tons out there) to set you up and then....how many days of driving enjoyment?

Seems like a good return on aggravation time.

Crap, wish that was all I had to be concerned with...I needed a good tire, but did not have the $$$ to go into $200 each. Consider yourself fortunate.

Old 06-18-2002, 09:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: If rubbing is their concern...

Found a local shop about 15 miles away charge me for $14 mount and balance per tire and they have no issue about it. But if I have remove all the label from the tire I can't returned them to tirerack..
I am so confused but so happy since I have so many suporter.

Erwin
Old 06-18-2002, 09:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If rubbing is their concern...

Found a local shop about 15 miles away charge me for $14 mount and balance per tire and they have no issue about it. But if I have remove all the label from the tire I can't returned them to tirerack..

Erwin
I honestly think you're good to go, Erwin. I simply can't imagine that you'll run into trouble given the range of tire sizes that have already fit on 5th Gen Maximas.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:39 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If rubbing is their concern...

Erwin
Crap, that's nothing. $56.00 and half my one-way commute!! Who cares about the label? Just write down the serial numbers from each of the tires and put with your TireRack paperwork (which should show the s/n's as well). If you ever have a problem with a tire, then worry about it. As for label removal, any tire installer worth a cent will remove them immediately to reduce any possibilty of loss of traction due to a part of a tire running around on paper.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If rubbing is their concern...

Originally posted by jjs

Crap, that's nothing. $56.00 and half my one-way commute!! Who cares about the label? Just write down the serial numbers from each of the tires and put with your TireRack paperwork (which should show the s/n's as well). If you ever have a problem with a tire, then worry about it. As for label removal, any tire installer worth a cent will remove them immediately to reduce any possibilty of loss of traction due to a part of a tire running around on paper.
that's true is nothing and also I am not sure how much you drive per day..
I like the last sentence of your respond "any tire installer worth a cent will remove them immediately to reduce any possibilty of loss of traction due to a part of a tire running around on paper"

like one says "A good tire is a good tire"
Old 06-18-2002, 09:50 AM

So when are you going to get them installed, exunaja?

And take a camera. We want pics!
Old 06-18-2002, 09:56 AM

So when are you going to get them installed, exunaja?

And take a camera. We want pics!
today today today.. after work.. I need to sneak out early to get my love max a good set of accessories..
I will go home and take my camera..
Old 06-18-2002, 09:59 AM

today today today.. after work.. I need to sneak out early to get my love max a good set of accessories..
I will go home and take my camera..
10-4!
Old 06-18-2002, 10:06 AM

is that anyway we can make this whole discussion as a part of FAQ or sticky?
It'll be very beneficial for "most of us" that try to run different set of tires for their SE stock 17x7 rim and still choose "a safe and sound" tires per tire manufacture recommendation?

TimW, Y2kevSE, Jambo?
Old 06-18-2002, 10:12 AM

is that anyway we can make this whole discussion as a part of FAQ or sticky?
It'll be very beneficial for "most of us" that try to run different set of tires for their SE stock 17x7 rim and still choose "a safe and sound" tires per tire manufacture recommendation?

TimW, Y2kevSE, Jambo?
As soon as you get your tires installed, I'll personally see to it that a FAQ is written up covering alternative tire sizes that are both in-spec on the OEM rims and function properly on a 5th Gen Maxima. I'll give you credit and I'll reference this thread when I do.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:31 AM

As soon as you get your tires installed, I'll personally see to it that a FAQ is written up covering alternative tire sizes that are both in-spec on the OEM rims and function properly on a 5th Gen Maxima. I'll give you credit and I'll reference this thread when I do.
cool..

Erwin
Old 06-18-2002, 04:47 PM

Bump! Waiting for exunaja . . .
Old 06-18-2002, 08:20 PM

Doesn't Tirerack.com have a database of shops that will take "drop shipment from them" (as an affiliate shop)???
Old 06-19-2002, 06:56 AM

Bump. Still waiting for exunaja's report. Where'd you go, exunaja?

Old 06-19-2002, 07:01 AM
jjs

Could be out...

Bump. Still waiting for exunaja's report. Where'd you go, exunaja?

enjoying the new tires!!

Old 06-19-2002, 07:15 AM

Re: Could be out...

Originally posted by jjs

enjoying the new tires!!

That's what I'm hoping.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:36 AM

yo what's happening..
sorry I didn't get a chance to install the pilot yesterday so I did it this morning at some local wheel and tires shops !
anyway, they have no problem or concern mounting this tires on the max, so I let them do the work and supervise them closely since I am not trusting them so much.
so here is one dude try to mount the new tires on the wheel and the next thing I know the tool slip and scratch yeah scratch my rim so damm deep on the lip of the rim and also on one of the spoke .. I am so pi$$ed off..
told you guys I am so full of bad luck.. .. !
anyway they charge me $48 for the installation and I told the manager they need to fix my rim.
with a little argument he agree to take the rim and get fix with the local rim shop. He said it will be as good as the new wheel. and the turn around time is 24 hr. So I will bother him tommorrow if I have not heard from him.

anybody knows how much is the cost to resurface the scratch rim with 24 hr turn around time?

btw I can't enjoy the new tires yet becuase I am running on 1 spare tire and also I am still in my braking in period.
however, the tire sit nicely on the car.. no rubbing or scratching and tire noise is minimal compare to my worn out potenzahhhhhahahaha.
I have some pictures for all of you in my digital camera, I'll post it soon.

any comment or question or concern that I need to know, let me know.

Erwin
Old 06-19-2002, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by young1976
Doesn't Tirerack.com have a database of shops that will take "drop shipment from them" (as an affiliate shop)???
they charge my arm and my leg to do installation.

EU
Old 06-19-2002, 08:40 AM
jjs

Crap!

yo what's happening..
sorry I didn't get a chance to install the pilot yesterday so I did it this morning at some local wheel and tires shops !
anyway, they have no problem or concern mounting this tires on the max, so I let them do the work and supervise them closely since I am not trusting them so much.
so here is one dude try to mount the new tires on the wheel and the next thing I know the tool slip and scratch yeah scratch my rim so damm deep on the lip of the rim and also on one of the spoke .. I am so pi$$ed off..
told you guys I am so full of bad luck.. .. !
anyway they charge me $48 for the installation and I told the manager they need to fix my rim.
with a little argument he agree to take the rim and get fix with the local rim shop. He said it will be as good as the new wheel. and the turn around time is 24 hr. So I will bother him tommorrow if I have not heard from him.

anybody knows how much is the cost to resurface the scratch rim with 24 hr turn around time?

btw I can't enjoy the new tires yet becuase I am running on 1 spare tire and also I am still in my braking in period.
however, the tire sit nicely on the car.. no rubbing or scratching and tire noise is minimal compare to my worn out potenzahhhhhahahaha.
I have some pictures for all of you in my digital camera, I'll post it soon.

any comment or question or concern that I need to know, let me know.

Erwin
Sounds like the way things go for me most of the time! Sorry to hear about this! Should have been a time to enjoy.

Not sure about rim fixes. I have a pretty badly gouged one from road debris, but have not gotten around to having an estimate done.

Quick Reply: Tire .. tire.. tire ... I 'm so full of bad luck!