5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 GLE, notice a 'groan' sound upon low speed takeoff, car had been sitting

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 04:53 AM

2K2 GLE, notice a 'groan' sound upon low speed takeoff, car had been sitting

I love my new 2002 GLE.. only have 300 hundred miles on it so far.

So far I've noticed maybe 3-4 times, when I leave for work in the morning, upon my slow take off it will almost immediately emit a short 'groaning' sound. Then it's quiet for the rest of the day.

First I back out my driveway, then start to pull forward, and within the first few feet I hear a groan that lasts for about 2 seconds, it quickly fades in then out, just load enough to hear.

I haven't figured out if its the suspension, steering or brakes, but I'm on a flat surface the entire time and do have to back out of the driveway first. BTW it's an automatic.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks
Old 06-19-2002, 06:07 AM
Very sound, Mike

I'm guessing it's your brakes. I have the same groan/creak the first few seconds after letting the car sit long (e.g. overnight or a couple of days)
Old 06-19-2002, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
I'm guessing it's your brakes. I have the same groan/creak the first few seconds after letting the car sit long (e.g. overnight or a couple of days)
Don't think so after today..
when I take off from home, after backing up I turn slightly while going forward onto the road.. that's when I hear it.. then a couple of times today it happened, and I think I was turning a bit also (not a lot) and at low speeds (under 25mph or slower)

I'll have to keep an ear on it
Thanks
Old 06-19-2002, 05:53 PM

Forgot to mention this last groan occured after a 90 mile highway drive, after I got off and slowed down (and took a mild turn). I cannot reproduce it at will and it's still infrequent..
Old 06-19-2002, 08:47 PM
lcf

Originally posted by pvaudo

Don't think so after today..
when I take off from home, after backing up I turn slightly while going forward onto the road.. that's when I hear it.. then a couple of times today it happened, and I think I was turning a bit also (not a lot) and at low speeds (under 25mph or slower)

I'll have to keep an ear on it
Thanks
woaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this sounds exactly like what ive been experiencing on and off for about a month now!

it happened first about 3 weeks ago... on a really hot day i was in thick stop-and-go downtown traffic and all of a sudden i heard a strange sound so i turned the music down. i heard it! *groooooooaaan* every time i turned the wheel a little bit! it wasnt consistent though. it didnt groan EVERY time i turned the wheel a bit just a little... perhaps about once out of every 5 times i turned the wheel. now, this freaked me out. i dont know what the problem was and i posted a thread here (http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=124850) to try and see if anyone here knows what it is or have experienced it but no one seems to know (or care).

i took my maxima in to get new front pads and have my rotors turned and explained the problem to the guys there and they seem to think it was brake related even though i emphasized the fact that it seemed to be associated with my turning of the steering wheel. god, stupid grease monkeys. anyway, i hope theyre right and its fixed now. since the groaning pops up occasionally i wont know for sure if its gone for good for a while.

if you find out what it is exactly please let me know!!

thanks.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:36 AM
Very sound, Mike

It's a longshot as i'm rather unfamiliar with it, so i'll throw out another idea...

Could this have something to do with the recent recall on the axle thingy?
Old 06-20-2002, 11:09 AM

Hey guys. I have actually been experiencing the same groaning in my 2k2 6speed for about a month now. I haven't been able to isolate whether it's linked to steering, brakes, or clutch...but it sounds like the same problem and has only existed at slow speeds. Usually when I'm parking or driving slow in traffic. I made and appointment to have my car serviced at the Nissan dealer last week, the appointment was yesterday. In typical car fashion, my Max has refused to make the noise once since I made the appointment, so the dealer was unable to duplicate it. I hope it either stays gone, or comes back more consistently.
It's a longshot as i'm rather unfamiliar with it, so i'll throw out another idea...

Old 06-20-2002, 11:34 AM

Yea, could it be the recall?

Later...
Old 06-20-2002, 05:02 PM
lcf

how often do you all experience these symptoms?

every day? 3x a week? more?
Old 06-21-2002, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by lcf
how often do you all experience these symptoms?
every day? 3x a week? more?
It seems to happen almost every day, and only at low speed. It's definitely a 'groan' or a low rumble.. if I have the radio on I can actually feel it for 2 seconds.

I don't think it has anything to do with the axle pin recall.. someone said it was limited to cars built before 2/02, and my car was built in 3/02.

When it happens, I'm not ready for it, and don't remember exactly what it was I had just done, but I think it might happen during slight low speed steering.

In itself, it doesn't bother me. I'm just wondering if this will eventually turn into an expensive steering rack or other type of problem ust as the warranty wears out!

Pat