5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My car fell off the jackstands.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 02:40 PM

My car fell off the jackstands.

Today my friend was going to install my lowering springs finally and I went over to his house to have them put on. So he pulls it around and parks in in the driveway. He gets the jackstands out and puts the rear of the car on jackstands. after he did that we took off the wheels and set them aside, As he was getting ready to take off the first springs, All I hear is a click noise and my car falling to the ground. I looked and saw that the rear end was completely on the ground. I didnt know what to do and I was worried about something being broken somewhere, it landed on the tin covers that surround the rotors. From what we have seen and comparing to my 00 maxima, nothing is wrong with it, it all looks the same nothing broken. and Ive already driven 30 miles and havent noticed anything. Hopefully none of you will know the feeling of watching your car just hit the ground. Im glad it wasnt high off the ground, but something really bad could have happend. I definatly dont EVER recommend using just jack stands to do anything on your car.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: My car fell off the jackstands.

Originally posted by 00Semaxi
Today my friend was going to install my lowering springs finally and I went over to his house to have them put on. So he pulls it around and parks in in the driveway. He gets the jackstands out and puts the rear of the car on jackstands. after he did that we took off the wheels and set them aside, As he was getting ready to take off the first springs, All I hear is a click noise and my car falling to the ground. I looked and saw that the rear end was completely on the ground. I didnt know what to do and I was worried about something being broken somewhere, it landed on the tin covers that surround the rotors. From what we have seen and comparing to my 00 maxima, nothing is wrong with it, it all looks the same nothing broken. and Ive already driven 30 miles and havent noticed anything. Hopefully none of you will know the feeling of watching your car just hit the ground. Im glad it wasnt high off the ground, but something really bad could have happend. I definatly dont EVER recommend using just jack stands to do anything on your car.
Sorry to hear about the accident. But how are we supposed to do anything at home if we don't use jack stands? Jack stands used properly are safe in my opinion.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The big question is, what kind of jack stands were you using and how the hell did they collapse? Jack stands are about the safest way to lift your car....I trust steel more than even hydraulic/pneumatic lifts since they have seals that can break which cause failure (although not likely). Steel jack stands, when properly assembled, aren't even capable of collapsing all the way to the floor...they should have a safety which keeps your car at the minimum height off the ground.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by MichaelAE
The big question is, what kind of jack stands were you using and how the hell did they collapse? Jack stands are about the safest way to lift your car....I trust steel more than even hydraulic/pneumatic lifts since they have seals that can break which cause failure (although not likely). Steel jack stands, when properly assembled, aren't even capable of collapsing all the way to the floor...they should have a safety which keeps your car at the minimum height off the ground.
the stock jackstands. And they honestly just collapsed.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:52 PM

And another BIG factor. Where did you put them????
Old 06-21-2002, 03:00 PM

What do you mean by "stock" jackstands??? I assume you are not talking about the jack that comes with the car.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:00 PM

where the manual says to put them. everything was done correctly. I know how to put a car up on jackstands. Ive dont it a lot of time. What my friend has told me now was that the cement is cracked and chunks where the jack was. Maybe it was cracking the cement and made it fall? I dont know.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:01 PM

Umm, does the Maxima come standard with jackstands? I think you are refering to the jack, and no, you should never crawl under a car which is being held up with a jack.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:02 PM

yeah the stock jack
Old 06-21-2002, 03:03 PM

stock jackstands?! are you talking about the scissor jack that comes with the car?

please say "no"

cheers
Old 06-21-2002, 03:05 PM

yeah the stock jack
There's the problem...I get nervous just changing my tire with that POS. I wouldn't work within ten feet of a car held up by two of those!!
Old 06-21-2002, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by MajesticBlueNTO

please say "no"

cheers
wish I could, It wasnt my idea, He said he was experienced.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:09 PM

yeah the stock jack
hate to say this, but that's why your car fell the way it did

when working on your car, other than changing one tire at a time (which is what the stock jack was designed for and nothing else), keep something like these in your garage
Old 06-21-2002, 03:11 PM

wish I could, It wasnt my idea, He said he was experienced.
hopefully everything is alright...think positive

cheers
Old 06-21-2002, 03:14 PM

NOW WE SEE!!!

Jack Stands are fixed items...they do not "crank" up and down...they are solid steel stands. You jack the car up with the Jack that came with the car and then you place Jack Stands under the car and remove the Jack. The Jack that comes with the car should never be used to hold the car up for work...even though that was already posted by another member, I think it bears repeating. You are lucky as hell neither of you got seriously hurt in this.

Go to your local auto shop (Schucks, Pep Boys, NAPA, etc.) and buy a pair of Jack Stands for $30. Well worth the investment!!!

Oh, and never take that friend's advice again.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:14 PM

You guys were really lucky that it collapsed prior to one of you getting underneath the car. Sorry to hear about this and I hope there are no ill effects on your Max. The stock jack was not intended for this kind of use and I'm sure you know that now. Your friend is a nut for thinking that he was gonna swap springs out using a stock jack. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:20 PM
I miss the .org!

I cannot believe that happened...it's been said before, but be VERY thankful you weren't under the car when it fell. Cracks in the cement or on your car are nothing. You NEVER leave a car on the jack, even if it's a 3 ton jack! Especially those dinky factory jacks! You have to use wheel stops and jackstands.

Right now Shuck's Auto Supply is running a special package for $39.99 which includes a 2.5 ton jack, 2 jack stands, and a creeper. Definitely worth the $ to keep you from getting crushed to death!
Old 06-21-2002, 03:22 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

oh my god...

no man.. no way.. NEVER use that factory jack for anything. Its an emergency jack only.

Seriously, go get some REAL jackstands ($15) and a decent hydraulic jack ($20). I was with some one a few weeks ago when their car fell. VERY scary thing. Again, on the factory jack. We were all VERY lucky to have all of our fingers and toes.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

He got jacked
Old 06-21-2002, 03:25 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: NOW WE SEE!!!

Originally posted by MichaelAE
Jack Stands
Go to your local auto shop (Schucks, Pep Boys, NAPA, etc.) and buy a pair of Jack Stands for $30. Well worth the investment!!!

Got mine for $10 at Auto Zone. Although it's hard to find a set that fits a lowered car. Had to go with the two ton....
Old 06-21-2002, 03:26 PM

You think this guy understands that using the stock jack to hold the car up was a mistake yet? Maybe we should try explaining this more clearly.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:38 PM

the most scary experience I ever had:
I was installing my RSB and I jacked up the car by using the liquid-filled jack at the center of the beam.

of course I took my sweet **** time to play around with the new toy and re-routing the e-brake line, etc etc. after I just put the RSB on, this is what I notice....the liquid-filled jack was leaking oil!!!! and that's not it....it was lowering itself very very slowly like half cm every minute....

when I was about to put my wheels back on...I noticed that it was already too low and I had to jack it up again....
Old 06-21-2002, 04:18 PM

I used the jack that came with my car to put the wheels on the pictures on the bottom on. (one long azz senetence )
btw, I put them on cuz I always going to get Maxspeed installed anyways. But it would cost me about $30.00 more if they put the new wheels on for me, so I just put the new wheels on myself & went to the shop to have they install the springs.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by tapwr3000
I used the jack that came with my car to put the wheels on the pictures on the bottom on. (one long azz senetence )
btw, I put them on cuz I always going to get Maxspeed installed anyways. But it would cost me about $30.00 more if they put the new wheels on for me, so I just put the new wheels on myself & went to the shop to have they install the springs.
00Semaxi sorry to hear about your mishap! It could have been avoided though if you had taken simple precautions. Safety first. I don't mean to be such a **** but its as simple as that.

Hey tapwr3000 your max looks bad @ss man! Looks like mine too but yours is better!

Old 06-21-2002, 04:32 PM

Re: My car fell off the jackstands.

Always keep something uder the car when u jack it up. for example take your tire and lay it flat in the middle so when something like that is to happen it will land on the tire and not on groung or your if u r under the car. Your have to be careful and remember the car weights a lot more than you
Old 06-21-2002, 04:35 PM
Stinger

sorry to hear that,my sisters ex boyfriend got killed doing that

Old 06-21-2002, 04:53 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

WHAT A FRIGGEN IDIOT!!!!!

Your friend is one DUMB *****. I would have been pissed if I was you and that happened. You guys are WAY lucky no one got hurt. Enough with the preaching though.

Next time, do it YOURSELF with a few tips.
-Don't use the factory jack for anything other than putting the spare tire on.
-Buy a quality hydrallic(sp?) floor jack(2-3ton) to work on a car.
-Buy quality JACK STANDS.

How to PROPERLY jack a car up and put it on jack stands:
---------------------------------------------------------------
0)Put the trans in PARK(Auto) or 1st(Manual), pull the ebrake 100%, and block the opposite tires still on the ground.
1)Pick a solid piece of metal(not just the underbody sheetmetal) and raise the car up using the 2-3 ton floor jack.
2)Place the jack stands underneath at the FACTORY specified jack points.
3)Slowly lower the car till it's sitting on the floor jacks.
4)Pump the floor jack handle 1-2 times to just lightly apply pressure back to the solid piece.

This way you have 3-points of contact on the car to minimize NOT elimnate the possibility of it falling. You should also try to be on as flat of ground as possible preferrably cement, since dirt and even asphalt will sink in.
Old 06-21-2002, 05:06 PM

Hey tapwr3000 your max looks bad @ss man! Looks like mine too but yours is better!
thanks Circo thanks for the compliment. Every time I think about going back to stock wheels, you guys always make me keep these wheels
sorry to hear that,my sisters ex boyfriend got killed doing that
sorry to hear about that, that's what I'm scared off. My car was on jack the other day, and I was under there for about 5 seconds than decided to pull myself outta there
Old 06-21-2002, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by CIRCO

looks like hawaii there

hmmmm....kaneohe?
Old 06-21-2002, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by slvr2KSE5

looks like hawaii there

hmmmm....kaneohe?

K-TOWN! Kahaluu that is! Close but no cigar!
Old 06-21-2002, 06:16 PM

heh....well im from maui and im in aiea right now so i did good enough. LOL
Old 06-21-2002, 09:55 PM

thanks for your concerns guys and I am very thanksful that no one got hurt or killed. a couple mins before it fell my legs were under the car when I was getting the wheels off, thinking back I would have lost my legs if I were still there. Its a very scary feeling and Im lucky nothing happend.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:08 PM

The new issue of EU Car has a good article on jack stands, and floor jacks.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:52 AM

thanks for your concerns guys and I am very thanksful that no one got hurt or killed. a couple mins before it fell my legs were under the car when I was getting the wheels off, thinking back I would have lost my legs if I were still there. Its a very scary feeling and Im lucky nothing happend.
So, you still plan on letting your 'expert' install your springs?

Sorry. There are just basic cautions and safety rules about working on cars. (Like, don't lick the postive terminal of your battery while holding onto the engine block.) If you're friend 'knows what he's doing' and still works on cars on jacks, you need to find someone else to install your springs.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:09 PM

Re: Re: My car fell off the jackstands.

Originally posted by xfirepwr1
Always keep something uder the car when u jack it up. for example take your tire and lay it flat in the middle so when something like that is to happen it will land on the tire and not on groung or your if u r under the car. Your have to be careful and remember the car weights a lot more than you
that's what i do. i'd rather scratch some rims rather than drop the whole car.
Jae
Old 06-25-2002, 08:34 PM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

L-U-C-K-Y is all i can say...i don't need to reitterate what everyone else has said. a friend of mine lost his father to an incident were the semi trailer he was working on (supported by a hydraulic jack)collapsed on him crushing his ribcage and puncturing both lungs, ruptured 90% of his internal organs... not good at all, and he was an experienced mechanic, so don't feel too bad about making the wrong choice, or listening to the wrong person. it happens to all of us at one time or another. work safe=live long (or something like that)
Old 06-26-2002, 09:28 AM

You can go to Walmart and pick up some jackstands for $20/four.. definately worth the money if you plan on working on your car.

= )

use some wood boards if you need clearance (most Maximas won't run into this problem, though)
Old 06-26-2002, 11:23 AM

I got it

Originally posted by MajesticBlueNTO

hate to say this, but that's why your car fell the way it did
keep something like these in your garage
I have exactly that in MY garage. And I also always put a jack stand next to the jack. But I stopped putting my rim underneath, since I got my chromies. heheee
Good luck, and be safe.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:37 PM

I went to Walmart today a picked up some jack stands. Even though Im not going to install these springs myself, I think it would be a good idea to have these around. BTW does anyone know where I can get a new stock Jack from, that is reasonably priced? mine is bent almost in half. thanks
Old 06-26-2002, 01:17 PM

I went to Walmart today a picked up some jack stands. Even though Im not going to install these springs myself, I think it would be a good idea to have these around. BTW does anyone know where I can get a new stock Jack from, that is reasonably priced? mine is bent almost in half. thanks
The dealership or maybe e-bay. Sorry that your beautiful Maxima fell. However, I am ashamed to say that when I first read your post, I laughed.

Quick Reply: My car fell off the jackstands.