5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Confused...and a bit Disappointed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 07:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Confused...and a bit Disappointed...

I have a 2k2 6 spd, hlsd.

Yesterday after my car hit the 1000 miles, and my friend with his TL-S wanted to run it, we went to RT 21, a nice highway here in Jersey and we ran it, I beat him going there, and coming back we went at it from a roll, and I beat him again as well.

Tonight just about 20 minutes ago, I went to run with my friend's VR6 with intake and exhaust, he was in front of me, took off, and I barely gained on him.

The thing is , I beat the TL-S, and TL-S usually beats the VR6 by 3-4 cars.

I am so confused, my friend in the VR6 is crazy though, and the car has a crazy break in, he has been pounding it since day one and whenever he lines up agains't another VR6, he walks them.

The VR6 had 5 people in it, and my car had 4 people(one weighed 250 lbs).It was very hot out also, about 85 or so.My friend in the car told me that the car pulled so much nicer yesterday racing the Type S.

I am so confused, would you guys shed some light on this. I would expect to spank the VR6.Also, I just recently started driving a stick since I got this car, about 3 weeks ago, so I am not the best stick driver, so it might have not been my night.

All your responses will be appreciated, flaming or not.I probably deserve to be flamed.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:12 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Confused...and a bit Disappointed...

Originally posted by GuZo

Yesterday after my car hit the 1000 miles, and my friend with his TL-S wanted to run it, we went to RT 21, a nice highway here in Jersey and we ran it, I beat him going there, and coming back we went at it from a roll, and I beat him again as well.

Tonight just about 20 minutes ago, I went to run with my friend's VR6 with intake and exhaust, he was in front of me, took off, and I barely gained on him.

I am so confused, my friend in the VR6 is crazy though, and the car has a crazy break in, he has been pounding it since day one and whenever he lines up agains't another VR6, he walks them.

The VR6 had 5 people in it, and my car had 4 people(one weighed 250 lbs).It was very hot out also, about 85 or so.My friend in the car told me that the car pulled so much nicer yesterday racing the Type S.

I am so confused, would you guys shed some light on this. I would expect to spank the VR6.Also, I just recently started driving a stick since I got this car, about 3 weeks ago, so I am not the best stick driver, so it might have not been my night.

All your responses will be appreciated, flaming or not.I probably deserve to be flamed.
Dude, you beat a TL-S- That's pretty cool.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:14 PM

Yea, the TL-S has an Injen Intake and Comptech exhaust too, but shouldn't I be able to walk all over the VR6?

I wouldn't care if I would've lost to the TL-S, but the VR6 is bothering me a bit, I think it was my inexperience along with the car not wanting to run like it did agains't the TL-S.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:16 PM

I don't really know what it does to your long term affect on a car, but I know that I had a 93 Honda Civic Si and I used to beat the hell out of that thing. When I lined up next to other Civic's I would toast them. I know a lot of other people too in fact one who had a Tercel and he did the same thing and it felt like a friggin rocket. Now neither of those 2 cars even compare to a VR6 or a Maxima, but i'm just saying that it seems that a lot of cars especially the foriegn seem to benifit from being driven hard. Either way just be happy you one. One thing to consider is that the guy who owns the TL-S and has been smoking them, may have been racing the pre-2k2. The 2k2's have 204hp if i'm not mistaken and the one's before have 176hp.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:17 PM

Yea i have a friend with a 2000 VR6. Definetly not as fast as max. but since ur a new driver it was prolly that simply outraced u. No big deal. Practice and get him back haha...try empty car too. also 3 weeks isn't that long to start flooring...maybe wait a lil bit, but hey its up to you. Good job beating the tl tho
Old 06-24-2002, 08:18 PM

THE owners of the TL-S and VR6 are my best friends...the TL-S beats that VR6 everytime, and I beat the TL-S, and when I raced the VR6, I was behind him the whole time, gained a bit on him, but not what I expected...
Old 06-24-2002, 08:24 PM

THE owners of the TL-S and VR6 are my best friends...the TL-S beats that VR6 everytime, and I beat the TL-S, and when I raced the VR6, I was behind him the whole time, gained a bit on him, but not what I expected...
holy ****. my best friends own VR6 and tl-s too! wtf. the guy with the tl-s also has an s2000 tho. Damn those are fast. one time i was in front of him, both of us going 60 and i saw him change lanes to pass me. i downshifted and FLOORED got up to 90, but by then he was GONE. must have reached buck-ten on me. he does have a comptech CAI tho. Sh*t is beastly...haha sorry OT. but yea...
Old 06-24-2002, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by xChungHsienx

holy ****. my best friends own VR6 and tl-s too! wtf. the guy with the tl-s also has an s2000 tho. Damn those are fast. one time i was in front of him, both of us going 60 and i saw him change lanes to pass me. i downshifted and FLOORED got up to 90, but by then he was GONE. must have reached buck-ten on me. he does have a comptech CAI tho. Sh*t is beastly...haha sorry OT. but yea...
I duno if they r that fast I raced one from 70 to 130 ( sorry couldnt find one off the line) and each time he only gained like half a car on me. We messed around for about 5 miles and each time when we both floored it, it didnt seem that much faster, maybee its the top speed that did it
Old 06-24-2002, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by xfirepwr1

I duno if they r that fast I raced one from 70 to 130 ( sorry couldnt find one off the line) and each time he only gained like half a car on me. We messed around for about 5 miles and each time when we both floored it, it didnt seem that much faster, maybee its the top speed that did it
0-60 in 5.5sec Fast...stock 1/4 in the 13s.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by xChungHsienx

0-60 in 5.5sec Fast...stock 1/4 in the 13s.
I forgot which article I read it in but I thought I saw 1/4 mile in low 14s, I might be mistakin. Never raced one off the line, I would probably get beat but I dont think it would be much
Old 06-24-2002, 08:59 PM

Re: Confused...and a bit Disappointed...

Strange but you should have definetly pulled on VR6. They are not fast at all.
I raced Audi S4 Auto on the highway and I was neck in neck with him(actually pulled a little bit).

Do you feel any difference in handling with HLSD? Like lunching hard, etc.
I just want to know what people are feeling driving wise with HLSD?

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:46 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

When I went to the track, a stock S4 auto was running 15's...
Old 06-24-2002, 09:54 PM
CO2kmax

This isn't anything tenichal but on my max she has her good days and bad days, other cars I have driven seem to be this way to. Could of been a bad day, or mabey I am just F'ed in the head but that is my .02. You will get him next time. Good luck

Old 06-24-2002, 10:18 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

you said..

he was in front of you, he took off and you couldnt catch him that quickly..

man, simple physics.. Once he's already wrapped up, downshifts and starts pulling, you are going to need a few seconds to do the same. Especially if you are moving at highway speeds.

He's got the jump on you. Simple inertia problem. had you been side by side and went at the same time, it would have been different.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:20 AM

there are numerous factors that could have caused you to lose to the VR6.. driver, weather conditions, etc... you only mention one race with the VR6, why not race again? at least you beat the TL-S.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:47 AM

Thanx for all your responses, I will definitely race him again, the fact was, the race was short, and he always took off before me and in front of me, i creeped on him, but never enough to pass him, I wanna just race him on a nice road with no traffic, because he is truly crazy with taking shoulders and things of the sort, and I don't wanna have a race that will make him do that so he doesn't kill anyone, if you guys knew him, you would be amazed, he just will not lose, kinda makes me scared to race him.

With the TL-S we raced from a roll and the other time he took off in front of me and I caught up, it wasn't s short race like the VR6.

It was probably my timing, along with my limited experience, and the fact he was always in front.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:52 AM

As Tim said - if he took first and it was a short race then he had one hell of a "hole-shot" and it was all over. Most short races are decided by the better launch, unless of course it's an M5 vs. a geo metro. Race him again (with both launching at the same time) and you should beat him.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:11 AM
jjs

If...

Thanx for all your responses, I will definitely race him again, the fact was, the race was short, and he always took off before me and in front of me, i creeped on him, but never enough to pass him, I wanna just race him on a nice road with no traffic, because he is truly crazy with taking shoulders and things of the sort, and I don't wanna have a race that will make him do that so he doesn't kill anyone, if you guys knew him, you would be amazed, he just will not lose, kinda makes me scared to race him.

With the TL-S we raced from a roll and the other time he took off in front of me and I caught up, it wasn't s short race like the VR6.

It was probably my timing, along with my limited experience, and the fact he was always in front.
he is as you say he is and YOU are kind of scared by his lack of concern for his own safety or that of others,

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU FEEDING HIS AGGRESSION?
Old 06-25-2002, 01:06 PM

I fed it a bit, then stopped, that's why the race ended, becaue he took a shoulder for about 1/4 mile.I wanna race him just like I did the TL-S, open highway, 3 or 4 lanes, with about 2 or 3 cars in it.