5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Modding void Manu. Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 09:32 AM

Modding void Manu. Warranty?

I might get flamed for this, but this quetion is bred strictly out of ignorance of car modding. My basic question is: does modding your maxima in any non-cosmetic way void your Nissan Manufacturer warranty? I'm pretty sure if you were to change the air intake, or exhaust system in some way, you would void the warranty. I look at this 5th gen engine at 255hp stock, and I say, "Wow, fast stock engine." I can totally understand modding your car for better performance, and hey you guys are proud of your cars and your work -- as you should be. But I see a lot of you dudes with 2k2 SEs with all this new work done to it. Looks great and all, but aren't you worried that something may go wrong with your whip that might have been covered under the warranty?

Heh, I feel funny asking this question not even owning a Maxima yet, but I sure as heck will own one soon. And this modding sounds interesting. So flame me, reply, whatever. Just educate the newb here.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:38 AM
jjs

Re: Modding void Manu. Warranty?

Originally posted by paxus
I might get flamed for this, but this quetion is bred strictly out of ignorance of car modding. My basic question is: does modding your maxima in any non-cosmetic way void your Nissan Manufacturer warranty? I'm pretty sure if you were to change the air intake, or exhaust system in some way, you would void the warranty. I look at this 5th gen engine at 255hp stock, and I say, "Wow, fast stock engine." I can totally understand modding your car for better performance, and hey you guys are proud of your cars and your work -- as you should be. But I see a lot of you dudes with 2k2 SEs with all this new work done to it. Looks great and all, but aren't you worried that something may go wrong with your whip that might have been covered under the warranty?

Heh, I feel funny asking this question not even owning a Maxima yet, but I sure as heck will own one soon. And this modding sounds interesting. So flame me, reply, whatever. Just educate the newb here.
the search function in the upper right can help greatly

in some threads are also references to federal laws on this topic...
Old 07-03-2002, 09:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Modding void Manu. Warranty?

Originally posted by paxus

Here is my one liner for this...think about it this way, modifying your exhaust will probably prevent you from getting warranty service on your exhaust, but will not affect your ability to get warranty service on your sunroof...got it? It is all about what you modify.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:02 AM
jjs

From what others have said...

it seems to vary WIDELY from dealer to dealer how picky they get on stuff...
Old 07-03-2002, 10:09 AM

Yep depends on the dealer. I am friends with the owner of my local nissan dealer, he gives me tips and ideas for mods and all. He told me he will take care of me
Old 07-03-2002, 10:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just came back form RT 22 Nissan in Jersey, and in the past they always told me no to modding.I went there today with my mom to drop off her car and there's this new service guy, coolest one I have ever seen there so far.

I asked him if I could put an intake and exhaust and he said it's cool , I just have to see him and noone else.He said that if the car gets a problem and If I think it's due to intake or exhaust to just take it off and that for him nothing ever happened. He just got transferred there from another Nissan dealership, definitely the coolest guy along with my salesman at that whole place.

So if any of you in the Northern New Jersey area need a good service guy who won't bother you with your mods, go to RT 22 , I dont know his name but I will post it later today when I pick up the car.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GuZo
I just came back form RT 22 Nissan in Jersey, and in the past they always told me no to modding.I went there today with my mom to drop off her car and there's this new service guy, coolest one I have ever seen there so far.

I asked him if I could put an intake and exhaust and he said it's cool , I just have to see him and noone else.He said that if the car gets a problem and If I think it's due to intake or exhaust to just take it off and that for him nothing ever happened. He just got transferred there from another Nissan dealership, definitely the coolest guy along with my salesman at that whole place.

So if any of you in the Northern New Jersey area need a good service guy who won't bother you with your mods, go to RT 22 , I dont know his name but I will post it later today when I pick up the car.
With that level of detail, this guy will probably now get busted by Nissan.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by GuZo
. . . there's this new service guy, coolest one I have ever seen there so far.

I asked him if I could put an intake and exhaust and he said it's cool , I just have to see him and no one else.
Check the club memberships in my sig. That guy is DEFINITELY somebody you want to take to lunch!
Old 07-03-2002, 01:11 PM

Well, I used the search function of this particular forum for 'warranty' -- got 60 some pages of results. Learned a lot about modding and what the dealer will and won't honor as warranty work. My general interpretation is that the dealers are cheaters, and try to screw you out of just about anything.

Most disturbing thing i found out was this nonsense with the MAF sensor -- $600+ for fixing that. I would assume i would replace any aftermarket intake i had installed with the stock intake before returning my car to the dealer. Sheesh. Actually, I found a lot of horror stories in this forum about getting a dealer to honor work as under warranty. One guy had the dealer telling him that his quality rims were responsible for warped rotors. That's blasphemy.

And this paint thing is disturbing. Think I might just go with the silver as opposed to a darker color now. I am highly concerned with Nissan's customer service. This forum makes Nissan out to be a bunch of scum bags. Rightfully so in some cases.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:31 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

MichaelAE's interpretation has been the case for me every time. Although those bastards will do anything they can to make a mod seem related to the warranty issue. ie: "your lowering kit caused these rotors to warp...."

Throw down on those ****'s and be relentless and you will get what you want a good portion of the time. Or just take it to a different dealer....