5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Suspension advice- multiple choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 05:55 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Suspension advice- multiple choice

I hate my suspension. It rides oh so rough. I have the following:

Ground control coilovers with Eibach springs
Front: All the way down
Rear: All the way up
225 40 18 tires

I believe my struts are blown, but I am considering going with a softer spring. My question is this:

Should I:
A. Remove the coilovers in the front and just go with the Eibach spring itself. This MIGHT? make the ride a wee bit smoother with the spring having more room to travel. Also get new struts.
B. Get new springs altogether. They aren't that expensive and if I have to buy new struts anyhow, I can do it all at once. Sell the GCs to someone else. And buy new struts.
C. Buy only new struts (Tokico fronts and AGX rears). See what happens. Then buy new springs if it is still rough.

Please help. Sorry to post 90 threads about this but right now I get carsick driving to work.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:02 PM

Oh and the new spring of choice would be Maxspeeds...unless anyone has horror stories. And yes, I know I missed the Group Deal. I am a retard.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:03 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Raise the front up some and get AGXs all the way around.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Raise the front up some and get AGXs all the way around.
There is a nasty rumor gojng around that AGX's won't work with Eibach (started by Deven).

I am seriously considering those Maxspeeds now.....
Old 07-03-2002, 06:10 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by asu174

There is a nasty rumor gojng around that AGX's won't work with Eibach (started by Deven).

Um, why wouldnt they work with one particular brand of spring?
Old 07-03-2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

Um, why wouldnt they work with one particular brand of spring?
Deven had alignment issues or spring compression issues or something. He has explained it to me like 3 times now and I still have no clue what he is talking about- to no fault of his own. Again, I am retarted.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:30 PM

Re: Suspension advice- multiple choice

Should I:
A. Remove the coilovers in the front and just go with the Eibach spring itself. This MIGHT? make the ride a wee bit smoother with the spring having more room to travel. Also get new struts.
Will the Eibach springs that come with the coilovers fit ontop of the struts? They are different springs than the Eibachs that you buy separatly aren't they? Are you running stock sturts now with the coilovers? You could just raise it up a little bit so its not as harsh, since you said you have it all the way down now which I can't imagine how bad that ride is.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:38 PM

Re: Re: Suspension advice- multiple choice

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

Will the Eibach springs that come with the coilovers fit ontop of the struts? They are different springs than the Eibachs that you buy separatly aren't they? Are you running stock sturts now with the coilovers? You could just raise it up a little bit so its not as harsh, since you said you have it all the way down now which I can't imagine how bad that ride is.
Stock struts.

The wheel gap looks horrendous if I raise it up any more (see sig pic). It looks oh so sweet right now.

That is a damn good question. Is the Eibach kit different than regular springs???

I just read this info and I am virtually sold on Maxspeeds. Perfect drop. Perfect ride. Who has these with pics????

How low will my car be with these springs?
Inches (front/back)
Eibach 1.3, 1.0 (stiff)
H&R 1.4, 1.3 (near stock)
Progress 1.7, 1.5 (near stock)
Intrax 1.75 all around
Sprint 2.0 all around (stiff)
B&G 1.6, 1.6
Ground Controls adjustable (very stiff)
MaxSpeed 1.7, 1.4 (near stock)
Old 07-03-2002, 06:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Suspension advice- multiple choice

Stock struts.

The wheel gap looks horrendous if I raise it up any more (see sig pic). It looks oh so sweet right now.

That is a damn good question. Is the Eibach kit different than regular springs???

I just read this info and I am virtually sold on Maxspeeds. Perfect drop. Perfect ride. Who has these with pics????

How low will my car be with these springs?
Inches (front/back)
Eibach 1.3, 1.0 (stiff)
H&R 1.4, 1.3 (near stock)
Progress 1.7, 1.5 (near stock)
Intrax 1.75 all around
Sprint 2.0 all around (stiff)
B&G 1.6, 1.6
Ground Controls adjustable (very stiff)
MaxSpeed 1.7, 1.4 (near stock)
I think Progress lowers more than Maxspeed. My friend has them with Tokico's and stock 16" SE wheels on his 2000, and the drop is really nice. Ride ride isn't that bad either. I am pretty sure that the Eibach springs on the coilovers are different springs than the regular ones. Maybe email Eibach for the real answer.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

B.

not C...Tokico front cannot handle your coilover.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Suspension advice- multiple choice

I hate my suspension. It rides oh so rough. I have the following:

Ground control coilovers with Eibach springs
Front: All the way down
Rear: All the way up
225 40 18 tires

I believe my struts are blown, but I am considering going with a softer spring. My question is this:

Should I:
B. Get new springs altogether. They aren't that expensive and if I have to buy new struts anyhow, I can do it all at once. Sell the GCs to someone else. And buy new struts.
C. Buy only new struts (Tokico fronts and AGX rears). See what happens. Then buy new springs if it is still rough.

Please help. Sorry to post 90 threads about this but right now I get carsick driving to work.
A. No, won't make a noticeable difference.
B. This would be your cheapest option and probably the most practical.
C. If you are going this route, better to go with route B.
D. Buy new struts and replace the Eibachs that came with the GC's with the ERS (Eibach Race Springs)with a softer rate. They make the ERS in just about every different size and rate. They also have a dual ERS kit that uses two springs. Once spring is at a softer rate than the other, it's for the smaller bumps while the other has a stiffer rate. The stiffer spring only comes into play when the softer "tender" spring is compressed all the way.

For refference on my JIC setup my springs rates are 9000KG/cm sq front, and 8000KG/cm sq in the rear. (Someone do the math and figure out what that is in lbs.)
Old 07-03-2002, 07:11 PM

I like answer D the best because then you still have height adjustability.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:27 PM

Re: Re: Suspension advice- multiple choice

Originally posted by cobymoby

A. No, won't make a noticeable difference.
B. This would be your cheapest option and probably the most practical.
C. If you are going this route, better to go with route B.
D. Buy new struts and replace the Eibachs that came with the GC's with the ERS (Eibach Race Springs)with a softer rate. They make the ERS in just about every different size and rate. They also have a dual ERS kit that uses two springs. Once spring is at a softer rate than the other, it's for the smaller bumps while the other has a stiffer rate. The stiffer spring only comes into play when the softer "tender" spring is compressed all the way.

For refference on my JIC setup my springs rates are 9000KG/cm sq front, and 8000KG/cm sq in the rear. (Someone do the math and figure out what that is in lbs.)
Eibach's website sucks. I can't find this alleged double spring kit anywhere. And they don't have a "contact us" section either. So you are saying that my GC Coilovers could work with a different set of springs....interesting revelation.....
Old 07-03-2002, 07:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Suspension advice- multiple choice

Eibach's website sucks. I can't find this alleged double spring kit anywhere. And they don't have a "contact us" section either. So you are saying that my GC Coilovers could work with a different set of springs....interesting revelation.....
Eibach's number
Old 07-03-2002, 07:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Suspension advice- multiple choice

Eibach's number
Thanks. I just found it too. I'll have to wait until Monday so I can utilize the company long distance....
Old 07-03-2002, 09:48 PM

Maxspeeds are out. Not low enough for me. Those Eibach springs must be much lower than the standard ones. I have at least 2 inches in the front.

I think I'm gonna just get KYBs and hope for the best.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:56 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Maxspeeds are out. Not low enough for me. Those Eibach springs must be much lower than the standard ones. I have at least 2 inches in the front.

Are you insane, not low enough for you .... ? I have seen many Maxes on HR's and Eibachs.. they more or less drop it the same. Any lower than my Maxspeeds, and you will destrooying **** under your car. I have already scraped my muffler twice, and with 4 people in the car, it gets LOW ! It is a safe drop. Unless you want to look like a Civic with a 2.5 drop ! I had a 2.0 drop on my Mustang, and I regreted it every time I scrapped my exhaust .
Old 07-03-2002, 09:56 PM

Those Eibachs are adjustable though.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:00 PM

Those Eibachs are adjustable though.
Gotcha. I thought they were regular Eibach springs. Therefore, I was thinking that a car with plain ol' Eibach springs would be lower than mine because of the coilover in the way. But now that I realize that they ARE different springs, I think I'm gonna stick with them. I like being low. My shocks are destroyed I think..... That will probably make a huge difference.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:08 PM

Gotcha. I thought they were regular Eibach springs. Therefore, I was thinking that a car with plain ol' Eibach springs would be lower than mine because of the coilover in the way. But now that I realize that they ARE different springs, I think I'm gonna stick with them. I like being low. My shocks are destroyed I think..... That will probably make a huge difference.
Just get AGX's and then you can adjust the ride comfort. I think that would be a good option for you.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:16 PM

Just get AGX's and then you can adjust the ride comfort. I think that would be a good option for you.
Thanx for the help...hopefully the modified ones will work with Eibachs....and GCs
Old 07-03-2002, 10:24 PM

no problems here..why wouldn't they work?
Old 07-04-2002, 06:01 AM

VQ- Apparently Deven (forgot the rest of his name) has issues, but from the looks of it I think it was a one time deal.

Kloogy- I was actually looking at your homepage to determine the Maxspeed drop. Look at my car compared to yours. I have about a half inch of wheel gap on the front and the rear. I HATE wheel gap.

From the looks of your ride, it looks like a bit more wheel gap. Granted, your car rides 10x smoother than mine, but I like the look of it right now as is.
Old 07-04-2002, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by VQdriver
no problems here..why wouldn't they work?
Here is the thread

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....install+dramma
Old 07-04-2002, 07:09 AM

Hey Greg's2kGLE, does the AGX are direct fit no modification to made to those before throwing in.

I could have search but it was too tempting to ask.

Cheers

AA
Old 07-04-2002, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by doublea

Hey Greg's2kGLE, does the AGX are direct fit no modification to made to those before throwing in.

Cheers

AA

You apparently need to buy the modified ones from Cattman and also shave off your strut mount a bit.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by doublea

Cheers

AA
You have to modify the front struts (shaving something off a little bit) or buy the modified ones form Cattman. The rears are a direc replacement though, if I remember correctly.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:14 AM

You apparently need to buy the modified ones from Cattman and also shave off your strut mount a bit.
one thing..since you have a stillen camber kit up front..you will not need to do any modifications....the shocks will fit on just fine up front...trust me........since you are doing modified kyb's and the gc's.....tell me how it goes...if that setup works....then i will get that same setup..because i want coilovers so BADLY!!!

thanks man..
albert
Old 07-04-2002, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by rob van dam

one thing..since you have a stillen camber kit up front..you will not need to do any modifications....the shocks will fit on just fine up front...trust me........since you are doing modified kyb's and the gc's.....tell me how it goes...if that setup works....then i will get that same setup..because i want coilovers so BADLY!!!

thanks man..
albert
Cool thanks! I was wondering about the camber kit and no one had the answer.... I'm getting a coilover tighetened up on Friday and they will tell me if i need new struts or not then...
Old 07-04-2002, 02:50 PM

thanks man..
albert
JIC FLT-A2!! Email me!
Old 07-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oh and the new spring of choice would be Maxspeeds...unless anyone has horror stories. And yes, I know I missed the Group Deal. I am a retard.
Maxspeed springs compress to the point they sit on top of each other. Looks good but thats about it IMO.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:04 AM

ok..

Originally posted by cobymoby

JIC FLT-A2!! Email me!
how much???....
Old 07-05-2002, 03:05 AM

Re: ok..

how much???....
sales@berktuning.com
Old 07-08-2002, 08:19 PM

Just a note...I installed the MaxSpeed on the 4th Gen AGX rear (I have a 2k2) and it fits like ****. It doesn't really make noise while driving but going over speed bumps or driveways, it makes a horrible noise. It does not even come close to sitting right on the perch. The boot is almost touching the spring on one side. I could not get it to fit right - I tried for hours. Just wasn't meant to be.

I am going with Tokico’s until the real 5th Gen AGX comes out. Just not worth it the way it is now.

Brian