5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

UDP Installed - My Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
You know how much hp you would have to get to "feel" anything? Probably over 10hp. So I guess you would be up for a Y pipe, but not an intake, exhaust, cat?
then might as well spend those $200 for CAI or Y-pipe
Old 07-10-2002, 12:29 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ah what? I said Y. Cai will not really give you more than 10hp at the wheels so what are you talking about?

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

Old 07-10-2002, 12:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
Okay, so that's a completely different point you're making. We aren't talking about choosing the UDP or the Y-pipe or a CAI. I have all three, myself.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:55 PM

I got the new Modified Mag magazine and it had the new Unorthodox Racing UDP for Acura CL/TL and Honda Accords. It says it shows gains of 20HP and 20lb/ft to the wheels! How much are they smoking there?
Old 07-14-2002, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by BlackMax2k1
I got the new Modified Mag magazine and it had the new Unorthodox Racing UDP for Acura CL/TL and Honda Accords. It says it shows gains of 20HP and 20lb/ft to the wheels! How much are they smoking there?
Well, if you think about it. If you did the first dyno with the A/C blasting, the radio on and and flipping the lights on and off, the dyno after the pulley swap could show significant gains.
Old 07-14-2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Well, if you think about it. If you did the first dyno with the A/C blasting, the radio on and and flipping the lights on and off, the dyno after the pulley swap could show significant gains.
You're saying that they did the 1st dyno with all that stuff on and the 2nd with all that stuff off? Or that the UDP makes that much of a difference with all that stuff on period?

Tony
Old 07-14-2002, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
You're saying that they did the 1st dyno with all that stuff on and the 2nd with all that stuff off? Or that the UDP makes that much of a difference with all that stuff on period?

Tony
I'm saying that if UR is taking their baseline dyno with all the accessories running on the Accord's and TL/CL, then their post install might actually reflect that kind of power gain. In the situation which most people drag race, the benefits of the underdrive pulley won't be realized if all the accessories are turned off and you're driving in a straight line. Right, am I crazy here? This is likely why we don't see the big-time results which companies like Unorthodox Racing claim on their web site. They claim something like 10-15hp for the UDP on the Max, don't they? Maybe they do their baseline with everything cranked up and then install the UDP for comparison.

I think, in response to your other question, that the UDP is going to be more valuable when your accessories are all for sure. You're underdriving the belts to divert less power to accessories thereby reserving it for the wheels. Well, if the accessories are not running, then that power isn't lost driving them. So, am I crazy? I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just making logical assumptions which could very well be wrong.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:05 PM

I'm saying that if UR is taking their baseline dyno with all the accessories running on the Accord's and TL/CL, then their post install might actually reflect that kind of power gain. In the situation which most people drag race, the benefits of the underdrive pulley won't be realized if all the accessories are turned off and you're driving in a straight line. Right, am I crazy here? This is likely why we don't see the big-time results which companies like Unorthodox Racing claim on their web site. They claim something like 10-15hp for the UDP on the Max, don't they? Maybe they do their baseline with everything cranked up and then install the UDP for comparison.

I think, in response to your other question, that the UDP is going to be more valuable when your accessories are all for sure. You're underdriving the belts to divert less power to accessories thereby reserving it for the wheels. Well, if the accessories are not running, then that power isn't lost driving them. So, am I crazy? I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just making logical assumptions which could very well be wrong.
my pulley isn't on yet. i'll soon find out how the "butt dyno" registers. however, the pulley doesn't use a lot of underdriving. its main advantage is the reduced rotational mass over the stock pulley.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Lets put all butt meters away and look at an actual dyno sheet of what an underdrive pulley did for my 2001 Dodge truck. I know this is not a Maxima but certainly a good test of what a pulley is capable of doing. Look at the curve and how it shows gains throughout the curve. That is some pretty good torque gains.

http://www.fbody.com/members/LarryS/ramdyno2.jpg

This was done on the same day. Dyno was ran, pulley installed and dynoed again. No ac or anything else on.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by Larry
Lets put all butt meters away and look at an actual dyno sheet of what an underdrive pulley did for my 2001 Dodge truck. I know this is not a Maxima but certainly a good test of what a pulley is capable of doing. Look at the curve and how it shows gains throughout the curve. That is some pretty good torque gains.

http://www.fbody.com/members/LarryS/ramdyno1.jpg

This was done on the same day. Dyno was ran, pulley installed and dynoed again. No ac or anything else on.
The link only shows a small, blue "fbody" in the upper-left corner.

Tony
Old 07-15-2002, 04:56 AM

Tony,

I sent you an email with the dyno chart. I don't know why that link is not working. If you can post it feel free to do so.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

The link only shows a small, blue "fbody" in the upper-left corner.

Tony
It worked when I copied and pasted into a new window.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:17 AM

Tony,

Yep, worked for me too doing that. I wonder what is going on with that site?

In any case I got 6.6hp and 17.3 pounds of torque from the pulley on my Dodge truck. Pretty good gains throughout the rpm range too.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:08 PM

I belive the majority of the power gaines are supposed to come from the reduction of rotating mass (weight) compared to the stock pully. I have other mods to do first, I am still thinking about this one.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:41 PM

I installed my UDP today. All I have to say about the install is to use the starter technique to remove the bolt! My oem UDP came off incredibly easy doing this. I blurped the starter and then looked at my crank pulley, the pulley completly unscrewed it's self! I managed to strip the 12mm bolt on the top of my AC pulley belt tensioner piece. I some how mangaged to fanaglre the belt off adn then back. Total install time was about 1 hour and 30 minutes(I installed one before on my 95 too)

As for my butt dyno. I emmediatly noticed a nice gain in low end and mid range TQ. Comming off the line it is a bit easier now and it moves to redline a hair quicker.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:12 PM
The Definitive AE Master

does anyone know if my 2k1 pulley can fit on the 2k2 in case I get one in the near future? thanks
Old 07-15-2002, 06:30 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by Larrio
does anyone know if my 2k1 pulley can fit on the 2k2 in case I get one in the near future? thanks
Yes it's virtually the same part. Just remove the crank trigger ring.