5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

'02 SE Bose stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 09:09 AM

'02 SE Bose stereo question

A couple days ago my Bose stereo started doing something wierd while playing a CD. It would send virtually all the sound to the front/right speaker. I verified this by adjusting the fade and balance only to find almost no sound from any other speakers. It would then just adjust itself back to a correct balance on its own. It has happened on a number of different CD's and does not happen the same time on any given CD. It just started 2 days ago and has happened 3 times so far. It is terribly annoying and probably not good to stress out that single speaker.

My entire sound system is completely stock.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any guesses what would be wrong?
Old 07-08-2002, 10:47 AM

Since you got warranty, I wouldn't worry about it - just send it in and have them figure it out.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by maximilion
Since you got warranty, I wouldn't worry about it - just send it in and have them figure it out.

That is what I will do at my next oil change... just was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:55 AM

Re: '02 SE Bose stereo question

Originally posted by carguyrob
A couple days ago my Bose stereo started doing something wierd while playing a CD. It would send virtually all the sound to the front/right speaker. I verified this by adjusting the fade and balance only to find almost no sound from any other speakers. It would then just adjust itself back to a correct balance on its own. It has happened on a number of different CD's and does not happen the same time on any given CD. It just started 2 days ago and has happened 3 times so far. It is terribly annoying and probably not good to stress out that single speaker.

My entire sound system is completely stock.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any guesses what would be wrong?
The Bose in my 93 SE did the same thing once in a while. This is related to poor solder joints in the head unit I beleive. If your under warrenty, have the dealer where you bought it fix or repace the head unit.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:23 PM

Re: Re: '02 SE Bose stereo question

I had mine replaced last week-it was doing the same thing. All channels/speakers worked fine for FM, AM and cassette, but the CD changer would only play from the right side of the car. Bankston Nissan in Irving changed mine out in about an hour.

Granted, it took them almost five weeks to get the replacement head unit in.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:13 PM

I went to the dealer last week and showed them my problem, which was similar to yours. The left side of the car was at about 35% volume of the right side, when panned to the middle. And I lost all the highs and lows. It sounded like it was distortion, but after having the HU checked, it was the HU. The funniest thing was that it only happened while the CD was playing, and was intermitten too. I could switch to radio or tape, and all the speakers were fine. And even the CD worked normal at times. I took it to the dealer, and they ordered me a new HU. It should be here in about a month. I got back in the car the next morning, and everything was ok again. Go figure. I would definitely drive it to the dealer whenever it happens, while it's happening, and don't turn off the car until they look at it, just to prove it to them. (I took my car in 3 times, and each time when the car was stopped and re-started, it started working correctly again). Best of luck