5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pics of the Dimple Drilled/Slotted Rotors GD

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 03:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pics of the Dimple Drilled/Slotted Rotors GD

Here are the pictures of the Rotors I just received. Yes this is from the Group Deal that I just put together and over 30 or so people ordered from them. If you want to order from them, go to the Group Deal Section and the ordering information is all in THIS THREAD.

Here are the PICTURES OF THE ROTORS.

Enjoy
Dixit
Old 07-09-2002, 03:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

Pop-ups are killing me.

What are the dimples supposed to do?
Old 07-09-2002, 04:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Pop-ups are killing me.

What are the dimples supposed to do?
Dissipate heat and look cool.

Dixit, how do the rotors feel? ie, are they feel solidly built, heavy, clean, etc?

Get them installed and break them in, then let us know how much of an improvement they are!
Old 07-09-2002, 05:00 PM

Re: Pics of the Dimple Drilled/Slotted Rotors GD

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Here are the pictures of the Rotors I just received. Yes this is from the Group Deal that I just put together and over 30 or so people ordered from them. If you want to order from them, go to the Group Deal Section and the ordering information is all in THIS THREAD.

Here are the PICTURES OF THE ROTORS.

Enjoy
Dixit
Hey BigDogJonx, now you are goin to make me impatient, those look of very good quality thanks for sharing the pics, I cant wait to get mine, did you install SS Brakes Lines at the same time ?

Cheers

P.S: Your da man, keep up the good work.

AA
Old 07-09-2002, 05:06 PM

They look great! I can't wait to get mine. Thanks for hookin us up Dixit.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:07 PM
BuddyWh

Originally posted by Tanman

They don't dissipate heat... they relieve build up of gasses under the pads. I imagine the dimpling is better than cross-drilling in that it doesn't induce thermal stress cracking.

But the still look cool!

BuddyWh

Old 07-09-2002, 05:19 PM
RussMaxManiac

Dixit, how do the rotors feel? ie, are they feel solidly built, heavy, clean, etc?

Get them installed and break them in, then let us know how much of an improvement they are!
They are suppose to be holes, not dimples... That is weird.

Old 07-09-2002, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by BuddyWh

They don't dissipate heat... they relieve build up of gasses under the pads. I imagine the dimpling is better than cross-drilling in that it doesn't induce thermal stress cracking.

But the still look cool!

BuddyWh
More surface area means more heat dissipation. The dimples increase surface area, thus, they help dissipate heat. That may not be their primary function, but it makes more sense. I'm pretty sure dimples would trap gases.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:37 PM

Crap I hope this deal is around for a while. I can't afford them right now, insurance premium is due and I just spent the month's funds on computer equipment. What do you think, BDJx?
Old 07-09-2002, 06:44 PM

I got these rotors from the group deal as well.. I think they help the stopping distance..the pads will have shorter life and you'll hear a little humming noice when breaking but overall its good..
Old 07-09-2002, 07:15 PM

I saw them today when they arrived. They are nice.

I am pressed for these but they don't make them for the 2k2, Larger rotors. The rotors are heavy and nice.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:19 PM

Jeff, I know the pop ups are killing you, but my Cable provider's homepage service dont seem to be working, so I had to put them else where they wont limit me like geocities if too many people look at it.

The group deal will be around for as long as he agrees to continue at that price.

I will be installing them tommorow and will let you all know how they feel, but I cant really let you know since it will be about a week before i can slam on them.

Dixit
BuddyWh

More surface area means more heat dissipation. The dimples increase surface area, thus, they help dissipate heat. That may not be their primary function, but it makes more sense. I'm pretty sure dimples would trap gases.
The additional surface area is incredibly insignificant. You are right, the dimples do trap the gasses generated by the hot pads. That's a good thing because otherwise the pad rides on a layer of gasses between it and the rotor, contributing to fade. As the dimple comes out from under the pad, in rotation, the gasses are released. This is also the idea behind cross-drilling but the problem with cross-drilling is the rotors tend to crack.

How well dimples work (at relieving fade and/or preventing cracking) I have no idea, but this seems to be the idea

BuddyWh

Originally posted by dblrr900
I saw them today when they arrived. They are nice.

I am pressed for these but they don't make them for the 2k2, Larger rotors. The rotors are heavy and nice.
The stillen rotors are alot better. The slotted rotors are more made for track cars not street. The cross-drilled from stillen are VERY GOOD! Braking power has increased 200%
Old 07-09-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Igor911

The stillen rotors are alot better. The slotted rotors are more made for track cars not street. The cross-drilled from stillen are VERY GOOD! Braking power has increased 200%
You can't really make this comment until you try both rotors

I'm sure we'll all enjoy better braking with any aftermarket rotors.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:25 PM

You can't really make this comment until you try both rotors

I'm sure we'll all enjoy better braking with any aftermarket rotors.
Well put.

Dixit
Old 07-09-2002, 07:33 PM

I was about to ask if Igor was getting paid by Stillen, but you guys put it better than I would have...

I think the stillen setup is great too, but these rotors look great as well. Also.... everyone knows that the pads you use are a huge factor in this equasion. Gotta get them Kevlar pads and stuff.

Does anyone have the numbers on the 2k2 rotors, ie. measurements.... DaveB???
Old 07-09-2002, 07:40 PM

I was about to ask if Igor was getting paid by Stillen, but you guys put it better than I would have...

I think the stillen setup is great too, but these rotors look great as well. Also.... everyone knows that the pads you use are a huge factor in this equasion. Gotta get them Kevlar pads and stuff.

Does anyone have the numbers on the 2k2 rotors, ie. measurements.... DaveB???
I wish i was getting paid! i could use the $! I have the AXISS pads and i am very dissapointed. THEY SUCK... They are too loud and noisy and allot of brake dust.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:45 AM

I wish i was getting paid! i could use the $! I have the AXISS pads and i am very dissapointed. THEY SUCK... They are too loud and noisy and allot of brake dust.
It must be your set-up, cuz I have been running the Axxis Metal pads for over 6 months and these pads are defenitely an improvment over stock, I dont hear any noise when braking, sound like a Stillen gimmick.

Cheers

AA
Old 07-10-2002, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by doublea

It must be your set-up, cuz I have been running the Axxis Metal pads for over 6 months and these pads are defenitely an improvment over stock, I dont hear any noise when braking, sound like a Stillen gimmick.

Cheers

AA
The noise is more like a grinding noise? Not sure how to describe it? Also, I noticed that with these pads, braking from a slower speed is NOT GOOD, but when you brake from a high speed, it is really good.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:54 AM

The noise is more like a grinding noise? Not sure how to describe it? Also, I noticed that with these pads, braking from a slower speed is NOT GOOD, but when you brake from a high speed, it is really good.
Hi Igor911, it is really strange, I dont have these side effects, it might be the mix of the pads with the type of rotors ? I have the Axxis Metal Master on the stock rotors, but as soon as I will receive the 4 Dimpled / Slotted rotors, I will slap those over and let you know how it feel. I will be installing SS Brakes lines at the same times.

Cheers

AA
Old 07-10-2002, 07:23 AM

AA

Cheers

AA
I am going to need pads soon but I CAN'T stand loud brakes. That is sooo freakin embarrasing. Are you just running the Axxis Metal pads with your stock rotors or do you have aftermarket rotors? What kind?
Old 07-10-2002, 07:39 AM

Hi Igor911, it is really strange, I dont have these side effects, it might be the mix of the pads with the type of rotors ? I have the Axxis Metal Master on the stock rotors, but as soon as I will receive the 4 Dimpled / Slotted rotors, I will slap those over and let you know how it feel. I will be installing SS Brakes lines at the same times.

Cheers

AA
Hey Doublea,

Where did you get the SS lines from? how much did they run you? I am definitely thinking about doing this, even if I can't get rotors. I heard it will drop at least 10ft off your stopping distance.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:21 AM

Hey Doublea,

Where did you get the SS lines from? how much did they run you? I am definitely thinking about doing this, even if I can't get rotors. I heard it will drop at least 10ft off your stopping distance.
Hey dblrr900, I got it from Phuong at www.EatRiceZone.com/ if I'm not mistaken I paid 124$ for the package which is set for 4 wheels, I also bought some Motul Brake fluid, I dont have it now I just ordered a couple of days ago. I also heard good stuff from SS brakes lines, I guess I'm preparing the car cuz within the next year I'm going S/C so I want to be shure to have powerfull brakes.

Cheers

AA
Old 07-10-2002, 09:16 AM

I got a questions.....

I'm not that knowledgeable about brakes, but are slotted rotors usually slotted the whole way through the rotor??
Old 07-10-2002, 09:17 AM

they won't dissipate heat since it doesn't go into the cooling vanes.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by y2KAOSMax
I got a questions.....

I'm not that knowledgeable about brakes, but are slotted rotors usually slotted the whole way through the rotor??
No, if the slot runs off the edge of the rotor it would make it crack sooner
Old 07-10-2002, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Maksim2000

No, if the slot runs off the edge of the rotor it would make it crack sooner
I mean like cross drilled are drilled the whole way threw, but the ones on here are dimpled.. Is that how all slotted rotors are or are they just slotted on the surface??
Old 07-10-2002, 10:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I saw those rotors up on ebay last week. Personally I think between the dimples and the slots to much of the actual friction area of the rotor has been removed. The slots do the same thing as the dimples do. Why have both? Think about that for a second....
They both swipe the pad and can capture and release gasses.

Slotted rotors are prefered by auto cross guys because the slot actually refreshes the pad by skimming off a slight about of pad surface each time it passes by. It also take away any gases which get trapped inbetween and inbedded in the pad. Slotts produce a nice clean pad surface at all times. They also keep the rotors structure solid.

Cross drilling helps rotors run cooler. This is great for street driving because they wount warp as fast. (I think) The holes also trap and release gasses as they pass under the pad. This helps reduce fade. Cross drilling will also reduce the rotors strength, which can cause it to malfunction under extreme conditions.
Cross drilling doesn't swipe or cut the pad as hard as slots do, so your pads will last longer.

Slotted rotors = Excelelnt for auto cross and extreme brake use.

X-Drilled = Ideal for every day street use. Definately a big improvement over stock.

Slotted and Cross Drilled ???? I think thats just for show, I can't see any benefits, but can see a loss of rotor friction surface which can't be a good thing.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:02 AM

cross-drilled = warping extremely possible
slotted = excellent stopping power
Old 07-10-2002, 11:10 AM

pads make the biggest difference. Any rotor other than stock will be an upgrade. We have daily drivers, not race cars!!
Old 07-21-2002, 08:14 AM

Re: Pics of the Dimple Drilled/Slotted Rotors GD

Hey Dixit!

I just installed these rotors last night. I also replaced the brake pads. The pads are Carbon Metallic...good quality.

During soft braking, I hear a whirring noise (dimples) & during hard braking those slots are causing 'taka...taka...taka...taka...' noise (for lack of better word )

Are you also experiencing increased noise levels with these rotors?
The braking effectives has definitely improved...but unfortunately the noise has also. It sounds like something is broken & is about to fall apart! It is very very annoying.

Thx.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:19 PM

Re: Re: Pics of the Dimple Drilled/Slotted Rotors GD

Originally posted by dashingMax
Hey Dixit!

I just installed these rotors last night. I also replaced the brake pads. The pads are Carbon Metallic...good quality.

During soft braking, I hear a whirring noise (dimples) & during hard braking those slots are causing 'taka...taka...taka...taka...' noise (for lack of better word )

Are you also experiencing increased noise levels with these rotors?
The braking effectives has definitely improved...but unfortunately the noise has also. It sounds like something is broken & is about to fall apart! It is very very annoying.

Thx.
Yeah I am experiencing it a bit less than you are since I had replaced the rotors on stock pads. When you got harder on the pads like you have, you will experience that. It might take a month or so to have them broken in due to the fact he also Silver ZINC plated the whole rotor and not just the parts that needed it. So in a sense where the braking occurs, it is also removing that coating.

Dixit
Old 07-22-2002, 08:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Pics of the Dimple Drilled/Slotted Rotors GD

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
It might take a month or so to have them broken in due to the fact he also Silver ZINC plated the whole rotor and not just the parts that needed it. So in a sense where the braking occurs, it is also removing that coating.

Dixit
It will take about 25-50 miles to remove the plating where the pad contacts the rotor.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:12 PM

First impression after 2 days driving...

Hi guys, after driving my max with the new dimpled rotors for 2 days, the braking is really smooth and has improved over the stock. I shure feel a better braking without any doubts. You should see the face of the people who works in my building when they see me arrived this am, over the time I almost became an attraction for them since every week there is something that change on my max.

I painted my caliper with a silver paint that has anodized reflect in it, very sweet looking and look a like chrome.

Cheers

AA
Old 08-09-2002, 05:55 AM

Re: First impression after 2 days driving...

Hi guys, after driving my max with the new dimpled rotors for 2 days, the braking is really smooth and has improved over the stock. I shure feel a better braking without any doubts. You should see the face of the people who works in my building when they see me arrived this am, over the time I almost became an attraction for them since every week there is something that change on my max.

I painted my caliper with a silver paint that has anodized reflect in it, very sweet looking and look a like chrome.

Cheers

AA
I'm gonna paint my calipers when my rotors come too.. Where'd you get the silver paint with the anodized reflect in it at
??
Old 08-09-2002, 06:00 PM

Re: Re: First impression after 2 days driving...

I'm gonna paint my calipers when my rotors come too.. Where'd you get the silver paint with the anodized reflect in it at
??
Hey, I bought it at Canadian Tire, it is call METALCAST' anodized surface color system www.duplicolor.com

Good luck.

Cheers

AA
Old 08-09-2002, 06:18 PM

Re: Re: First impression after 2 days driving...

??
If you want to make a good paint job that will last longer it's important that you remove all the rust otherwise the paint will peel off quickly. I used a high speed drill with different metal brush size, I guess a dremel might be the ideal tool. I washed the caliper with thinner at the end of the removing rust step, dont forget to put some primer before you paint, if you really want your brake to have a clean look, remove the chrome metal rail and clean them up ( the brake pads slid on it ) put them back only after the paint is done dry, the effect of chrome on top of the silver anodize is super classy and look very good, I hate when people paint on top of everything it look like very cheap work and make your car have a worst look.

AA