6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Forget the Exterior...Think about the interior

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 11:04 AM

Forget the Exterior...Think about the interior

I think the exterior of this car is horrible. It's just me though. I didn't like it when the 5th gens came out, I thought that was also horrible. It grew on me and now I think it's an awesome design!
I don't think this car will sell too many SE's but defenitely a lot of GLE's.

Now the interior, I think it is going to look so nice. I am guessing better than the new accords interior. What do you guys think?
Old 12-06-2002, 11:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Max

Forget the new Maxima as we know it. This vehicle will carry the name only and move up a level to the European competition. Our "Maxima" is now the Altima. This leaves a gap for the Altima to grow in. I don't expect the new Max to be sports oriented...it'll be more geared towards ammenities and comfort. You don't make a "sports" sedan better by making it bigger. Don't get me wrong, I will be curious to see what it can do, but it's not going to be my choice for a car I want to try to take to a track!
Old 12-06-2002, 04:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hopefully they've noticed the magazines and public harping on the quality of the trim in the Altima and G35 and upped the materials quality in the Maxima. It's got to be good to compete where they're positioning it in the market.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:23 PM
supertool

Murano

I think the interior will look like the Murano.
Look at the hi-res pic and you can see the top of the gauge cluster. It looks like that on the Murano.
I love Murano interior, and I have no problem with that.

Old 12-06-2002, 07:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Those Hi Res pics definitly look like the Dash Guages are covered in some sort of Brushed Alum. im willing to bet that its got the same trim all about, with Black leather seats, im interested to see if they dump the tan int. option, they prob won't though, having only one type of interior is unheard of, i guess all will be shown in a few weeks
Old 12-06-2002, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Norel
Those Hi Res pics definitly look like the Dash Guages are covered in some sort of Brushed Alum. im willing to bet that its got the same trim all about, with Black leather seats, im interested to see if they dump the tan int. option, they prob won't though, having only one type of interior is unheard of, i guess all will be shown in a few weeks
I would bet 90% they'll go with a metal finish dash, look at all the other new models Nissan/Infiniti has put out lately. As for dropping the tan interior, I'd be happy but there's not a chance it'll happen.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

if Nissan throws in a couple of Recaro seats for my butt, i'd consider it
Old 12-07-2002, 01:13 AM
Sports Button FTW

i love the look of this max but it reminds me of the new camry...and not sure how well i will look with a spoiler on it...
Old 12-07-2002, 07:32 AM

i'm thinking of the resale valve will it be the same as the 2000 - 03 models
Old 12-08-2002, 07:30 AM
Project Ruby......

From some of the features listed on FreshAlloy it sounds like the interior is going to be incredible!

These are facts, not opinion:
Horsepower: 255+ (TBA)
3 transmissions available: 5sp Auto w/manual shift mode, 4sp Auto, 6sp Manual
Vehicle Dynamic Control available on both auto transmissions
Dual exhaust with 4 chrome tips
Power folding mirrors standard on SE (available on SL)
Skyview Roof standard on all models. Sunroof is an option. This skyview roof is narrower than a typical sunroof, but runs the lenght of the car. From the exterior it will appear as one solid piece of tinted glass, but from the interior it will be split into front and rear by a narrow beam that will be coverd by headliner material. There will also be sunshades to pull shut to completely block off light if desired.
Bose will be the premium sound system, not Rockford.
A rear center console will be available on both trim levels (reduces seating to 4)
Dual Zone Climate Control with rear AC vents.
Center display integrates displays of HVAC, radio, and trip computer (similar to Murano).
Optional DVD Nav system.
It will be revealed at Jan 5 Detroit Auto Show
It will be available as soon as March 5, 2003.
20 gal fuel tank
18' wheels on SE model
Cornering lights
speed sensitive wipers
tilt/telescopic steering wheel
6 colors: winter frost, liquid silver, spirited bronze, champagne mist, red opulence, radiant ember
Full size spare comes with VDC option
Helical limited slip diff on manual SE model.
Elite package includes rear center console, rear sunshade (power), and rear heated seats.
Rear door courtesy lights. Rear reading lights.
Sirius or XM radio available on both models.
Interior colors: cafe latte, black, frost, and burnt orange/black.
Two exterior colors from 2003 are still available: onyx and majestic blue.
18" chrome wheel option.
The "traditional" sunroof is an option on all models.
Multi-link independent rear suspension.
Auto tint rear view mirror with compass & home link

If you look closely in the Burgundy Maxima spotted on the road, you can see the Skyview Roof
Old 12-08-2002, 07:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I borrowed some pics from a European site, they claim to be the dashboard of the 6th-Gen.

Old 12-08-2002, 08:09 AM

Re: New Max

Originally posted by Mikes_SE_Max
Forget the new Maxima as we know it. This vehicle will carry the name only and move up a level to the European competition. Our "Maxima" is now the Altima. This leaves a gap for the Altima to grow in. I don't expect the new Max to be sports oriented...it'll be more geared towards ammenities and comfort. You don't make a "sports" sedan better by making it bigger. Don't get me wrong, I will be curious to see what it can do, but it's not going to be my choice for a car I want to try to take to a track!
I totally agree with this statement. The old Max is gone, this is the new Max. Although the Max was the best selling import v6 in North America, it still didn't sell as much as Nissan would have liked. The Altima now competes with Accord and Camry (apples to apples) and the Max will be more upscale (more than it already is compared to the Altima). It will obviously retain some performance (Nissan is about performance) but it's not the same car. Heck, look at the trend, the 3rd gen was a better track car than the 4th gen, the 4th gen was a better track car than the 5th gen and so on. The 5th gen is at the limit of being an ok track car. In other words, it's not a track car but it can't still kind of do it. Don't even think of taking the 6th gen to a track.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prince Namor
[B]I borrowed some pics from a European site, they claim to be the dashboard of the 6th-Gen.

Bogus, it dosen't look like the top of the cluster in the picture mentioned above.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:38 AM

I could not agree more.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kmax
[B]
Originally posted by Prince Namor
I borrowed some pics from a European site, they claim to be the dashboard of the 6th-Gen.

Bogus, it dosen't look like the top of the cluster in the picture mentioned above.
That's too bad, I kinda like that dash. Assuming the steering wheel gets moved.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:29 AM

Those interior picks and options remind me of my friend's 740iL.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:29 PM

sadly I'll have to agree with this and support nissans decision. Its the right way of doing business.
Most likly Nissan really wants us to buy two cars, one for fun and one for the run.
I mean if you were the CEO of nissan... wouldn't you?
Why I think this is because of the R35. It doesn't look like it can fit 4 people, the R34 looked like it could fit 4 "comfortably". The Z is two seated (yeah I know tradition) and the max, like you said is getting bigger.
Oh well I'm happy with my 3rd gen. It brought me great pleasure
Old 12-11-2002, 09:04 AM
mjg

A level of european competition?
Are you kidding me?
It's a cheapish sedan, cheaper then an infiniti even. I don't think too many people in the market for a 500S would even look at it.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:04 AM
mjg

Are you kidding me?
It's a cheapish sedan, cheaper then an infiniti even. I don't think too many people in the market for a 500S would even look at it.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:12 AM

Re: Re: New Max

Originally posted by mjg

Are you kidding me?
Not all European cars are high end BMW and Mercedes
Old 12-11-2002, 09:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by mjg

Are you kidding me?

Are you aware that there are entry level cars in the European sector? The 500S is leaps and bounds above entry level. They will compete against the A6, 3 series and such.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: New Max

Are you aware that there are entry level cars in the European sector? The 500S is leaps and bounds above entry level. They will compete against the A6, 3 series and such.
Those "entry level" European cars with decent options still come in anywhere from the mid $30K to low $40K range when equipped like a similar Maxima. That's several thousand $$$ above wehre the current Maxima is marketed. Besides, I thought the G35 was targeted at the "entry level" European market, specifically the BMW 3 series.

It almost seems as though the new Maxima will have the same quandry as the one it replaces...no real target market.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:00 PM

werd
Old 12-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

speaking of the interior, anyone got any predictions on the interior dimensions? the legroom in the altima was good in the sense that i could stretch my legs out all the way, but my knees kept hitting the console on the right. since this is longer and wider than the altima frame, will the maxima be the class leader in interior room again this year, but by an even larger margin?
Old 12-13-2002, 09:34 AM

I think that those of you who want the Maxima-like interior and can't stand the fugly new exterior should consider getting a base model Altima 3.5 (arguably better looking than the 6th gen Max). You then start trolling for 6th gen Maxima interior parts (from DaveB or wherever) then swapping. We know the new Max and Alty share the same platform - its a good bet that interior, seats, etc., (and of course engine) parts are swappable.

Then you will be driving an AltiMax.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:42 AM

the problem is..

Originally posted by Phydeaux
I think that those of you who want the Maxima-like interior and can't stand the fugly new exterior should consider getting a base model Altima 3.5 (arguably better looking than the 6th gen Max). You then start trolling for 6th gen Maxima interior parts (from DaveB or wherever) then swapping. We know the new Max and Alty share the same platform - its a good bet that interior, seats, etc., (and of course engine) parts are swappable.

Then you will be driving an AltiMax.
heres the problem: $$$$$$$$$

for that price with the swapping and everything, I would just go more upscale to a TL-S or a G35 Sedan.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:47 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Axel

I totally agree with this statement. The old Max is gone, this is the new Max. Although the Max was the best selling import v6 in North America, it still didn't sell as much as Nissan would have liked. The Altima now competes with Accord and Camry (apples to apples) and the Max will be more upscale (more than it already is compared to the Altima). It will obviously retain some performance (Nissan is about performance) but it's not the same car. Heck, look at the trend, the 3rd gen was a better track car than the 4th gen, the 4th gen was a better track car than the 5th gen and so on. The 5th gen is at the limit of being an ok track car. In other words, it's not a track car but it can't still kind of do it. Don't even think of taking the 6th gen to a track.
The Maxima was never the best selling import. I believe the Accord was and Camry.

Old 12-14-2002, 10:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: New Max

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

The Maxima was never the best selling import. I believe the Accord was and Camry.
You didn't read it correctly. He said the best selling "v6 import"

Most Camrys and Accords are 4-cyl.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Max

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
You didn't read it correctly. He said the best selling "v6 import"

Most Camrys and Accords are 4-cyl.
Yup, thanks for pointing that out to him
Old 12-14-2002, 03:36 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Max

Originally posted by Tripower

Those "entry level" European cars with decent options still come in anywhere from the mid $30K to low $40K range when equipped like a similar Maxima.
It's funny that Vw's own Passat W-8 is priced in that range and isn't any different than its own GLX V6 or even a GLS 1.8T