6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Check This Link Out...(other opinions from car enthusiasts)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 03:36 PM

Check This Link Out...(other opinions from car enthusiasts)

Acura CL Club

I only found one, Believe it or not the TL People didn't start a thread on this.
Should I go there and start one for them or is that just causing trouble?

If the CL Site wants you to register, Don't.
Use this:

Member Name: 2TheMax
Password: Maxima
Old 12-07-2002, 04:45 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I read the thread and quite frankly i think they're right.

We should protest in Detroit. They've never had a protest for an ugly looking car so i'm sure a protest would shake Nissan up after all the press we'd get.
Old 12-07-2002, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by max002
I read the thread and quite frankly i think they're right.

We should protest in Detroit. They've never had a protest for an ugly looking car so i'm sure a protest would shake Nissan up after all the press we'd get.
protest? in my opinion that's an idea no one will actually care about or even think twice about.

Also, if you actually do it...you will just be hurting yourselves. You will give Nissan a bad image making sales less for the Maxima. Then your resale value goes down and your friends make fun of your car for being "ugly"
Old 12-07-2002, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
protest? in my opinion that's an idea no one will actually care about or even think twice about.

Also, if you actually do it...you will just be hurting yourselves. You will give Nissan a bad image making sales less for the Maxima. Then your resale value goes down and your friends make fun of your car for being "ugly"
Not if it's not a 6th gen. If someone thinks the new max's are ugly, what does that have to do with MY 4th or 5th generation max?
Old 12-07-2002, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Nismo82

Not if it's not a 6th gen. If someone thinks the new max's are ugly, what does that have to do with MY 4th or 5th generation max?
It gives the Maxima a bad name

Example: (This is not true so don't go laughing at the Focus' like i do )

Ford Focus is a pretty reliable car. The next gen comes out and everyone says how crappy it is and how the engine fails after 10K miles. To add to that the exterior looks like trash. I don't know about you but I would be very hesitant about getting any Ford Focus, even the previous generation.
Old 12-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I honestly think it isn't that bad you know guys,
I'm 16 and I am going to be looking for a car next year.. I would definately look into that.. i like it, but it's all about taste, I do not like the Altima.. but.. I like the Pathfinder, 350Z ( as anybody else ), and the Murano.. anyways Later

Geoff.
Old 12-07-2002, 05:45 PM

It gives the Maxima a bad name

Example: (This is not true so don't go laughing at the Focus' like i do )

Ford Focus is a pretty reliable car. The next gen comes out and everyone says how crappy it is and how the engine fails after 10K miles. To add to that the exterior looks like trash. I don't know about you but I would be very hesitant about getting any Ford Focus, even the previous generation.
Uuhhhhh...Ford Focus...?
Not to generalize, but there are other factors involved. And to use Ford may not be the best example. Another reason is lack of historic basis on the focus, it is generally a new(er) car. Max is on Gen 6 and has proven consistent in many aspects through out the years unlike ford or the ford focus, for many reasons, however you want to look at it.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:33 PM

This is wierd!

:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mantis23
My brother in law works for Nissan Coprorate offices, he says it will have V8 motor pushing 310 HP... that remains to be seen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if thats the case then its a detuned m45 motor
I hadn't heard that before.....Yummie!
I wish this post was true.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:10 AM

Re: This is wierd!

Originally posted by mantis23
My brother in law works for Nissan Coprorate offices, he says it will have V8 motor pushing 310 HP... that remains to be seen.

if thats the case then its a detuned m45 motor

Oh yeah, Nissan does have an 8 cylender in the m45 don't they...
Still...I wish it was true too...
Old 12-08-2002, 08:03 AM

Re: Re: This is wierd!

Yeah the M45 used the Q45's 4.5ltr V8 is about what 346HP? I guess they could "lower" the power and include one in the next Maxima....maybe? I mean Caddys use big north star V8s in their FWD DTS. I could happen but it wouldn't be pretty with out AWD.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: This is wierd!

Originally posted by JeffCatt
Yeah the M45 used the Q45's 4.5ltr V8 is about what 346HP? I guess they could "lower" the power and include one in the next Maxima....maybe? I mean Caddys use big north star V8s in their FWD DTS. I could happen but it wouldn't be pretty with out AWD.
When the 5th gen came out, Nissan "tuned down" the old z engine for the maxima, but tuning down this engine for the 6th gen? Could do it I guess, but why? Nothing was wrong with what they had? The M engine hasn't even had time to "prove itself". Actually, are they even out yet? I've never seen one in person...
Old 12-08-2002, 10:56 AM

eh? Being a car enthusiast is a SIN in any Crackura site...

What a suprise, the Crackura enthusiasts think they have the most beautiful car evAr and they are second to none, especially compared tEh> MaximAr
Old 12-08-2002, 11:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I wasn't keen on the 2000 Maximas when they came out, they are growing on me though. But the sixth gen is f'ugly! It's hard to be enthusiastic about this one!

What is Nissan trying to do ... win the f'ugly new car competition?
Old 12-08-2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by JeffCatt
I mean Caddys use big north star V8s in their FWD DTS.
Those cars have trememdous suspensions systems, if I am not mistaken, and have horrible torque steer from what I have read in the car mags. And they cost over $50k. Nissan is too smart for that. It would never work in the Maxima.

260 hp, a 6-speed, lose the limited slip and its inherent power loss, a simple yet effective suspension, and the Maxima will run just fine against its techno-fattened competitors.

Probably wont happen though. Simple doesnt make for good marketing anymore these days.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by turbo97SE
I wasn't keen on the 2000 Maximas when they came out, they are growing on me though. But the sixth gen is f'ugly! It's hard to be enthusiastic about this one!

I hope so, it'd explain alot!
Old 12-09-2002, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by Midnight_Speed
I honestly think it isn't that bad you know guys,
I'm 16 and I am going to be looking for a car next year.. I would definately look into that.. i like it, but it's all about taste, I do not like the Altima.. but.. I like the Pathfinder, 350Z ( as anybody else ), and the Murano.. anyways Later

Geoff.
Wow you lucky bastard!! When I was your age....I had to drive a '84 toyota van that looked more or less like a shoe box. (Boy, I remember the good ol days.) At this rate you'll be driving a Porsche in 5 years. Remember to thank Mom and Pop......
Old 12-09-2002, 05:33 AM

Originally posted by kchida

Wow you lucky bastard!! When I was your age....I had to drive a '84 toyota van that looked more or less like a shoe box. (Boy, I remember the good ol days.) At this rate you'll be driving a Porsche in 5 years. Remember to thank Mom and Pop......
And I thought my schwinn was the BOMB
Old 12-09-2002, 07:04 AM

I'm a memeber of Acura-Cl.com they are actully descent folks over there they are extremely proud of their car (so are we) and I think the 2004 Maxima is a an atractive car just not edgy as the previous gens when it comes to exterior style. The 6th gen Maxima will blend in with the rest of the cars on the round just look at the car it is a mix of Altima and 350Z already.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:40 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is wierd!

Originally posted by JimmyH

Those cars have trememdous suspensions systems, if I am not mistaken, and have horrible torque steer from what I have read in the car mags. And they cost over $50k. Nissan is too smart for that. It would never work in the Maxima.

260 hp, a 6-speed, lose the limited slip and its inherent power loss, a simple yet effective suspension, and the Maxima will run just fine against its techno-fattened competitors.

Probably wont happen though. Simple doesnt make for good marketing anymore these days.
It'll be amazing to me if Nissan doesn't have some equivalent/variant of the T-drive like Chrysler uses in the LHS and other large FWD cars. With T-drive you get a longitudinally mounted engine with equal length (or extremely close to it) drive shafts. This eliminates torque steer. Given the apparent girth of the 6th gen it looks to me like there'd be room to do it.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is wierd!

Originally posted by joaquink

It'll be amazing to me if Nissan doesn't have some equivalent/variant of the T-drive like Chrysler uses in the LHS and other large FWD cars. With T-drive you get a longitudinally mounted engine with equal length (or extremely close to it) drive shafts. This eliminates torque steer. Given the apparent girth of the 6th gen it looks to me like there'd be room to do it.
I could be mistaken, but my stepdad just bought the new accord coupe, and looking at it from underneath, it has equal length drive shafts. And it is transverse. And there does not seem to be any torque steer.

If only Nissan could build an engine like Honda. Or; If only Honda could build a car like Nissan.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is wierd!

Originally posted by JimmyH

I could be mistaken, but my stepdad just bought the new accord coupe, and looking at it from underneath, it has equal length drive shafts. And it is transverse. And there does not seem to be any torque steer.

If only Nissan could build an engine like Honda. Or; If only Honda could build a car like Nissan.
they both have there plusses I guess. you can argue about it all day long (personally, I think Nissan makes a "better" engine) but you may not see it the same way...either way your dad just got a sweet car, LUCKY YOU
Old 12-09-2002, 03:38 PM

Re: Re: This is wierd!

I was looking at the new shots of the car on freshalloy. You know what's interesting...the badging say 3.5SE. Now why would they do that considering in the past every max has had an identical engine and was simply badged SE, GLE, or GXE or are they simply changing the way they badge their cars to be consistent? Might be possible that they may have an optional motor available later. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by max2001se

I was looking at the new shots of the car on freshalloy. You know what's interesting...the badging say 3.5SE. Now why would they do that considering in the past every max has had an identical engine and was simply badged SE, GLE, or GXE or are they simply changing the way they badge their cars to be consistent? Might be possible that they may have an optional motor available later. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
you're talking about the maxima right? I am surprised they did that...a 3.5 is the same as the Altimas, they have a 3.5 badge too...do you think they possibly use the same 3.5 L engine?
Old 12-09-2002, 06:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is wierd!

you're talking about the maxima right? I am surprised they did that...a 3.5 is the same as the Altimas, they have a 3.5 badge too...do you think they possibly use the same 3.5 L engine?
Very funny! Please read my post again. My point was since (currently) all maxes use the 3.5 why badge it 3.5SE rather than simply just SE. The sentra isn't badged that way, all pictures of the Murano don't show it badged that way. The reason I think they do it on the Altima is because they have two different engine options. Hence MAYBE they might offer a different (4.5?)engine as an option.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:08 PM
I love lamp.

This is to reply to Nismo82 earlier post about the detuned Z motor. When the maxima originally came out, it had a detuned 240Z motor, with EFI(240Z motor was dual carburated). The second gen also received a Z motor, though slightly detuned, the VG30E made the same horsepower figures as the 300ZX NA. Third Gen's got the same motor as the second gen, the VG30E, just a little more sophisticated ECU and a detonation sensor. 1992-94 SE's got thier own motor, which is not the same as 300ZX motor. The 300zx motor was the VG30DE, while the maxima had the VE30DE. The ZX still had a cast iron block with aluminum heads, while the maxima had an all aluminum engine. 95, maxima got its own engine. VQ30DE. It's become Nissan engine of choice. It's in every single V6 powered Nissan except Frontier, Xterra, and Quest which still run the VG engine, just high displacement. So every motor in the Altima, Pathfinder, and 350Z is a maxima motor. Just tuned as neccessary. Hence engine name VQ35DE.

Sarin
Old 12-09-2002, 11:15 PM
I love lamp.

Oh I almost forgot. The M45 is using the same motor as the Q45. Which is the VK45DE. I believe the VK is as old as the Q45, so there shouldn't be any need to really prove the motor, but then again, the Q45 wasn't a very popular car was it?

Sarin
Old 12-10-2002, 03:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is wierd!

Originally posted by max2001se

Very funny! Please read my post again. My point was since (currently) all maxes use the 3.5 why badge it 3.5SE rather than simply just SE. The sentra isn't badged that way, all pictures of the Murano don't show it badged that way. The reason I think they do it on the Altima is because they have two different engine options. Hence MAYBE they might offer a different (4.5?)engine as an option.
Man, that would be something. What is the Murano...
Old 12-10-2002, 06:44 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by turbo97SE

I'd leave that job to Pontiac if I were Nissan.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:46 AM

It's the new Nissan SUV.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:50 AM

not a big nissan enthusiast, are you?

It's a new vehicle Nissan came out with for the 2003 model year.
Nissan Murano
Old 12-10-2002, 05:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is wierd!

not a big nissan enthusiast, are you?

It's a new vehicle Nissan came out with for the 2003 model year.
Nissan Murano

I resent that statement
I am definately an enthusiast, well, I like to think of myself as one. I am young, and will not a new car for some time, well NEW NEW or an SUV, although I enjoy reading about them and all the details around a car and the company and blah blah...You know.
I can come here and hear the learn new info and hear the buzz.