6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Got The 2k4 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 04:37 PM

Got The 2k4 Maxima

.....For a night, Im currently test driving it limited to 30miles, Im an outstanding customer at the local nissan dealer and know the owners personally.

I will have pics up shortly...

Upon Quick glance from the front, it looks like a prototype automobile, The grill gets some getting used to, but I really dont care for it. From the side the car looks very nice, refined from the older gen, it sits on the Altima frame, and resembles an altima slightly, it looks more like a 4door 350Z if you ask me. This particular model is a silver SE with no leather, 18 inch alloy wheels, and NO XENON LIGHTS. It has a neat foglamp setup which pits the fog lamps adjacent from the headlamps all packaged within the Headlight assembly. The rear screams ALTIMA 3.5, but a few adjustments with the tail lights , its suddenly a Maxima. I opened up the hood to see the neat new engine bay and intake assembly. the engine cover is like the 350z's if not it. No longer are the intake runners visible, its covered up with a plastic shield.

Now for the driving..... I've Had my 2k2 for about 1 year and 6 months now, its a GLE model... and I have to say its a whole new ball game. The car is obviously larger than the 5th gen, but doesnt feel that way in the drivers seat. The independent 4 wheel suspension is an improvement, and various stability control functions are astounding, quick sharp responsive turns are initiated with ease, even 55mph panic turns are dampened and controlled by the stability control system. The car is very roomy and the all new heads up display LCD looks rather old and outdated, but is very useful. An alarm clock display comes to mind when looking at it, but you cant get your eyes off it! With Radio/temp/engine readouts, you can even set service interval alarms. The buttons are very complicated looking and take some getting used to... The Joystick control is fun to use. One thing that the 5th gen should have gotten was the ELECTROLUMINECENT GAUGES!!! Those are amazing! the dash setup is far more luxurious than the Altima's. The alloy dash accents and console looks expensive and refined. The Skyview is addicting to look up at, but can be covered like any other moonroof. The Rear seats are very roomy, almost like an SUV, two adults (6'1 and 6'4 are seated comfortably. The interior is very luxurious! Not cheap like the Altima, I sat in both to make sure

As for Acceleration, the car has 10 miles on it and I dont want to rag on it, but initial torque is there when you need it, and it feels a bit more powerful than the 5th gen considering the size but yet it does have "265hp and 255 torque", but I havent taken it over 3k rpms, the manual matic shifter is just like doing a 1,2,3 shift on the 5th gen but with a lil more response, it downshifts automatically for you when coming to a stop.

Personal Thoughts: I would like to have the car , but the exterior doesnt do much for me, maybe if grilltech or trendz makes a decent looking grille for it I would enjoy the car. As of now im going to keep my 5th gen.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:14 PM

lets go with the pics...
Old 03-11-2003, 06:40 PM

Good review it's nice to see a 5th gen Maxima owner give the 6th gen an unbias (as much as possible) review. Plus you got a chance to test drive the car so your opinion means a lot to me!
Old 03-12-2003, 05:59 AM

Great review.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:12 AM

where are the PICS?
where are the PICS?
where are the PICS?

Old 03-12-2003, 07:58 PM

I want pics TOO

Give me some pics

Especially of the interior with the cloth upholstery. Is it as bad as the Altima's? I really want to like the car.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:36 PM

Drove an SE 6 speed tonight!

I will say it now...I had crow for dinner tonight! Seriously, tonight is the first time I've seen a new max for any length of time and actually was able to sit in and drive for about 30 minutes. Pictures are misleading...don't judge the interior or exterior based on pics. You have to have the 3 dimensional experience. The interior, which in pictures I thought was a downgrade, is anything but. It is very luxurious and very well put together. Materials are an improvement over our 5th gens. I went all through the interior, touching, moving, adjusting...everything is perfect in this car and I really, really liked it. This particular model did not have Nav or the elite package, but did have leather. The door panels, with the suede-like material, are very classy; in pictures they look plan and dumpy. My only concern is long-term wear and more the ability to keep them clean. But, the effect on the new car is awesome.

Now, the drive...wow! Definitely more rigid, and I could feel the power difference. Shifter was a bit different, but good different. I didn't feel the lug of the throttle, either, like I do in my 02. Suspension felt great; evasive maneuvers and lane changes, braking, etc. were very well controlled, better, I have to say. This car felt as nimble, if not more so, than my 02, despite it's larger size. My only complaint and I'm sure I could get used to it, was the 18" wheels. You do give up some smoothness on the highway, and the car is now riding on Goodyears. Unfortunately, don't feel much better than Bridgestones. I'm not sure the 18" are necessary; I think I prefer the ride on my 17"s.

Guys...this car is going to win in the market. I'm now second-guessing my decision to purchase an 03 for my wife. Yes, it is a different car and in some ways the 03 is more luxurious, but this 04 is an improvement overall in fit, finish, and tactile feel of the interior. I am so happy to see that and report on it. The salesman actually told me they sold an SL yesterday; guy trading it had an 03 GLE with Nav and 3800 miles.

I want to drive another one, but if I leave you with anything it is this: you must experience this car. I've said some pretty rotten things about the looks of the car and my perceptions of the interior. I was soooo wrong and I wish I could take it back. I'm not crazy about the front, but this car has so much more going for it, it doesn't become hard to overlook that design flaw. Besides, from behind the wheel, you really don't care, because you are in such a modern, airy, and luxurious environment yet step on the throttle, and you feel as though you are in a sports car.

If I were in the market today, I'd ****** one up in no time flat. Oh well, guess I'll admire from afar!!

srm
Old 03-12-2003, 09:06 PM

maxmann..... I feel the same way, the driving experience is very nice! I would ****** it up quick and throw a billet grille on it... as for the pictures, i'll have em up tomorrow, i'll take pics of the dash and the HUD when its on, i'll try to throw up a video of me driving it!

maxmann.. how bout that HUD screen in the center, its kinda cheesy looking cause of the font, but its awesome to have, how did u like the buttons? They're complicated in a GOOD way!! Like flying a space shuttle or somethin!!! glad to read your review on it.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:12 PM

I'm so enamored with the car after my hour in it that I've just sent an email to my salesman asking at what price I could trade my 03 for an 04. I wouldn't be the first! The salesman at the dealership where I found it told me they just traded on an SL for an 03 GLE with Nav and 3800 miles (just like my car). I guess anything is doable for a price...but I'm not enamored enough to lose my head. But I am asking!!!

This car is going to be hot. And with only 70-80k to be built a year, you won't exactly see yourself on every corner, at least for the first year or so. Unlike the Altima's which appear to be everywhere, so much so they are becoming commonplace.

I encourage everyone to go drive one. It will be interesting to see how many other naysayers have a change of heart!!!

srm
Old 03-12-2003, 09:15 PM

I also have a picture of the Part content list...

75% of Parts are from USA
25% of Parts are from Japan
Old 03-13-2003, 04:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I went to check out the new Max as well and the dealer that I went to had 5 of them. Three of them already had sold tags on them!! I liked what I saw. They did not have any 6 speeds so I did not do a test drive. The 2 that they had available for me to look at were 3.5 SL's with no options.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:14 AM

Maxmann, I totally agree with you! I drove an SL last night--the car is absolutely beautiful. I loved the sunken rim of the dashboard where it meets the windshield and the way it blends into the door panels. The SL is going to be big with the older buyer because it has a far more comfortable ride than the sport version. The geezers will be able to have performance and a decent ride at the same time. This car is going to be a BIG success and it is luxurious enough to pull sales from BMW, Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti because it is priced less.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:35 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

As the saying goes, never criticize the cuisine before it's served.

Thanks Maxmann and 02MaximaSE for your test drive reports. I knew this car wouldn't disappoint.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by lobewiper
The geezers will be able to have performance and a decent ride at the same time.

TRUE geezers
Old 03-13-2003, 03:19 PM

My brother, if you're not a geezer already, then you have something to look forward to!

TRUE geezers [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 03-13-2003, 03:36 PM

...Looking forward to it! Status: Geezer

pics:

MORE PICS HERE:
http://thaiamrestaurant.com/04%20max
Old 03-13-2003, 04:11 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

WOW...i'm *REALLY* starting to like it even more now.

Thanks for the pics!
Old 03-13-2003, 04:28 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Me likey even more!
Old 03-13-2003, 04:34 PM

If anything... the front of the 2k4 looks like that of a G35 sedan!

Old 03-13-2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by 02MaximaSE
If anything... the front of the 2k4 looks like that of a G35 sedan!

Not really the only resemblance I see is the center of the hood, and the lights are so so, I finally must say that the front of the G looks good in comparison
Old 03-13-2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Not really the only resemblance I see is the center of the hood lights are so so, I finally must say that the front of the G looks good in comparison
the hood crease and the light formation are similar, i'd take the G35's , I really have to see a billet grille on the 2k4. Im either getting a 2k4 max or 350z for my next car.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:53 PM

On this picture it looks like the shift **** is very close to the center console in (P) position.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:35 PM

the hood crease and the light formation are similar, i'd take the G35's , I really have to see a billet grille on the 2k4. Im either getting a 2k4 max or 350z for my next car.
We have a Z and its very cool, we just got our 03/ and 350 same day and we want be swapping out for a few years. I would go for the 350 if I were you but hell you have an 02 already!
Old 03-13-2003, 08:58 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I'm curious if the 6-speed shifts better than the 5th gens. I still want a G35.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:32 PM
¿Hablas Español?

What's the difference in driver shoulder and hip room? Is there more or is there less compared to a 4G and/or 5G? Does it exhibit that ghey new trend of having the higher driving position?(purportedly done for people who are accustomed to mini-vans and SUVs so they have a more commanding view of the road.) If you've been in a new Altima you know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:07 AM

I like the 2004 Maxima a lot but I wouldn't recommend trading a 2003 with 3800 miles in for the 6th gen Maxima right now. The car will get better and better as the production cycle progresses and you might trade your 2004 in for a 2006. Look at what Nissan did with the 5th gen. wait you will be glad you did!
Old 03-14-2003, 05:14 AM

I went to Nissan yesterday and I fell in love. I want to trade my 2k1 in, but like perrymaxima said, I think I am going to wait a few years. The car is amazing! The net pics do it now justice, but the only thing that bothers me is that it resembles a $20K Altima too much. The Max is over $30K and looks alot like the Altima from the sides and rear, BUT the front is UNREAL, and the interior speaks for itself! The Nissan dealer told me if I trade my 2k1 max in w/ 35K miles and put $10K down! I could have a 04 Max, no leather, financed in 5 years for about $350 a month. Not worth it right now, but in a few years maybe.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by joaquink
What's the difference in driver shoulder and hip room? Is there more or is there less compared to a 4G and/or 5G? Does it exhibit that ghey new trend of having the higher driving position?(purportedly done for people who are accustomed to mini-vans and SUVs so they have a more commanding view of the road.) If you've been in a new Altima you know what I'm talking about.
I noticed alot more shoulder and hip room as compared to my 2k2 right when I sat in the car. As for the driving height, with the seat all the way down, It felt like my 2k2's seat all the way up! It felt kinda weird driving high up, but then again, you could see alot of the road. Again, a big difference in room as compared to the 5g and 4g, the gap from the driver seat and passenger seat was pretty big, and as for the rear, bit more room also.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by perrymaxima
I like the 2004 Maxima a lot but I wouldn't recommend trading a 2003 with 3800 miles in for the 6th gen Maxima right now. The car will get better and better as the production cycle progresses and you might trade your 2004 in for a 2006. Look at what Nissan did with the 5th gen. wait you will be glad you did!
Yea you may right a salesman today told me Nissan is adding a V8 to the max in 06.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:47 PM
¿Hablas Español?

I noticed alot more shoulder and hip room as compared to my 2k2 right when I sat in the car.
That's good to hear for those of us in the larger set.

As for the driving height, with the seat all the way down, It felt like my 2k2's seat all the way up! It felt kinda weird driving high up, but then again, you could see alot of the road.
This is bad to hear for those of us in the larger set. Man, if I want to sit up high I'll hop in my K1500. I don't like that seating change because to me, it makes it feel like you're sitting on the car and not in the car. Kinda odd to explain but it essentially puts all the gauges and things at a funky angle, specifically so in the Altima.

Old 03-14-2003, 05:30 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Originally posted by maximadave
I'm curious if the 6-speed shifts better than the 5th gens. I still want a G35.
Well I just got back from driving the 6 speed and I tell you I am thoroughly impressed. The only complaint I have is the throw...it is long (I think I have gotten too used to my short shifter though). The shifts are smooth and effortless. It was feather light I tell you. It shifted without any notchiness. As far as performance goes, it hauls A$$. I do not know what the 02's and 03's are capable of but I chirped 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 easily and I mean very easily. The torque is amazing. Handling was vastly improved IMO. Much less roll. Going over bumps and around corners, it felt very firm. So it feels like the sport suspension is improved.

On the aftermarket parts potential side, the intake does seem restrictive where is makes a 90 degree flattened bend towards the front. I see gains from an intake. The y also seems restrictive. In the dark (I just got back 7:30 PM), it seemed that each downpipe (the front and rear) has it's own mini flex section. Of course the rear one has it's trademark 90 degree bend (although the bend does look much smoother than before) but the piping does seem of a larger diameter than before. Anyway, the front and rear pipe is joined together with a y collector similar to the budget or warpspeed y collector. However right after the collector is the main cat. Yes, the main cat is all the way up front, right behind the collector. Extending from the main cat all the way to the split pipes in the rear is a HUGE oblong resonator. It is HUGE!!!! Just guessing, I imagine a modest gain from an aftermarket y and removing (or reducing the size of) the humungous resonator.

All in all I was extremely impressed with the 6 speed performance wise.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:52 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally posted by 2K2DEMAX

Well I just got back from driving the 6 speed and I tell you I am thoroughly impressed. The only complaint I have is the throw...it is long (I think I have gotten too used to my short shifter though). The shifts are smooth and effortless. It was feather light I tell you. It shifted without any notchiness. As far as performance goes, it hauls A$$. I do not know what the 02's and 03's are capable of but I chirped 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 easily and I mean very easily. The torque is amazing. Handling was vastly improved IMO. Much less roll. Going over bumps and around corners, it felt very firm. So it feels like the sport suspension is improved.

On the aftermarket parts potential side, the intake does seem restrictive where is makes a 90 degree flattened bend towards the front. I see gains from an intake. The y also seems restrictive. In the dark (I just got back 7:30 PM), it seemed that each downpipe (the front and rear) has it's own mini flex section. Of course the rear one has it's trademark 90 degree bend (although the bend does look much smoother than before) but the piping does seem of a larger diameter than before. Anyway, the front and rear pipe is joined together with a y collector similar to the budget or warpspeed y collector. However right after the collector is the main cat. Yes, the main cat is all the way up front, right behind the collector. Extending from the main cat all the way to the split pipes in the rear is a HUGE oblong resonator. It is HUGE!!!! Just guessing, I imagine a modest gain from an aftermarket y and removing (or reducing the size of) the humungous resonator.

All in all I was extremely impressed with the 6 speed performance wise.
It's great to get this feedback. I was so concerned that we had a land yacht on our hands. It's not what I envisioned by any stretch but it sure does sound more and more promising with more and more real-world reports.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:58 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by JAKE02

Yea you may right a salesman today told me Nissan is adding a V8 to the max in 06.
"If" they do, then it had better be in an AWD platform, b/c FWD V8 cars ****** suck (at least the ones I've driven have). And you think TQ steer is bad now? Wait until you have 300+ FT-LBS ripping you to the left.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Originally posted by joaquink

It's great to get this feedback. I was so concerned that we had a land yacht on our hands. It's not what I envisioned by any stretch but it sure does sound more and more promising with more and more real-world reports.
Land yacht != 2004 maxima.

And I was taking it easy on the damn car because I felt guilty taxing the new, unbroken-in engine. But I tell you, when I hit 2nd that car lifted up and took off!!! I was like, "HOLY ****" to the sales guy to which he responded, "pretty fast, huh?", smiling smugly.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:27 PM

mine will be black ... 5 spd automatic with elite package. however i just test drove the g35 ... that is also yummy and has that pop up screen .. that just amuses me too much. Saturday i go test drive the bmw 530 and 540 series.. i know i wont do the 530 cause its slower than maxima.. but 540 might if they give me a good deal like the maxima dealer

already got htem to take off the Mark up, and knock 1k off with free floor mats.. not bad for 10 min of work?
Old 03-15-2003, 05:19 PM

You chirped 3rd to 4th gear shift? You eiter did this on a hard corner and popped the clutch or atty:
Old 03-16-2003, 07:03 AM

V8? Bull****! That makes no sense at all! Or else it wouldve already been done
what do salespeople no that we dont? They dont get inside info. they just say what they believe but still have more credibility than the rest of us

Old 03-16-2003, 07:05 AM

bull**** salesman dont no anything it makes no sense and wont be done 'specially since it wasnt already done

Old 03-18-2003, 08:32 AM

Re: Drove an SE 6 speed tonight!

Originally posted by Maxmann
I will say it now...I had crow for dinner tonight! Seriously, tonight is the first time I've seen a new max for any length of time and actually was able to sit in and drive for about 30 minutes. Pictures are misleading...don't judge the interior or exterior based on pics. You have to have the 3 dimensional experience. The interior, which in pictures I thought was a downgrade, is anything but. It is very luxurious and very well put together. Materials are an improvement over our 5th gens. I went all through the interior, touching, moving, adjusting...everything is perfect in this car and I really, really liked it. This particular model did not have Nav or the elite package, but did have leather. The door panels, with the suede-like material, are very classy; in pictures they look plan and dumpy. My only concern is long-term wear and more the ability to keep them clean. But, the effect on the new car is awesome.

Now, the drive...wow! Definitely more rigid, and I could feel the power difference. Shifter was a bit different, but good different. I didn't feel the lug of the throttle, either, like I do in my 02. Suspension felt great; evasive maneuvers and lane changes, braking, etc. were very well controlled, better, I have to say. This car felt as nimble, if not more so, than my 02, despite it's larger size. My only complaint and I'm sure I could get used to it, was the 18" wheels. You do give up some smoothness on the highway, and the car is now riding on Goodyears. Unfortunately, don't feel much better than Bridgestones. I'm not sure the 18" are necessary; I think I prefer the ride on my 17"s.

Guys...this car is going to win in the market. I'm now second-guessing my decision to purchase an 03 for my wife. Yes, it is a different car and in some ways the 03 is more luxurious, but this 04 is an improvement overall in fit, finish, and tactile feel of the interior. I am so happy to see that and report on it. The salesman actually told me they sold an SL yesterday; guy trading it had an 03 GLE with Nav and 3800 miles.

I want to drive another one, but if I leave you with anything it is this: you must experience this car. I've said some pretty rotten things about the looks of the car and my perceptions of the interior. I was soooo wrong and I wish I could take it back. I'm not crazy about the front, but this car has so much more going for it, it doesn't become hard to overlook that design flaw. Besides, from behind the wheel, you really don't care, because you are in such a modern, airy, and luxurious environment yet step on the throttle, and you feel as though you are in a sports car.

If I were in the market today, I'd ****** one up in no time flat. Oh well, guess I'll admire from afar!!

srm

I completely agree. I am lucky enough to just have purchased a fully loaded black SE, elite package. I picked it up on Saturday. I traded in my 01. You're right about the 18 inch wheels, the ride is a little harsher then my 01, however, with the harsher ride comes much better handling, a compromise. I complete agree regarding your comments on the interior. Its much more spacious and modern feeling. It feels special, not like a regular car. This is a real luxury automobile with great performance.