6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Just picked up my 2004

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 12:45 AM

Just picked up my 2004 with pics

I just picked up a 2004 Black Maxima SE with a frost interior, the Elite Package and every option. Paid 35K, couldn't talk him down below invoice. I traded my a 2001. The 2001 has decreased significantly in value as the arrival of the 04 made the book even lower.

I read all the comments and complaints about the new generation.

First of all, in black, it looks awesome. Grill and all. It defiantley has a much richer look than the Altima.

The 18inch rims are gorgeous. The frost (light grey) interior is luxurious. The lines of the car flow nicely. I pulled into a gas station last night and people kept comming over and looking at the car. Its defiantely an attention grabber. The navigation and all the gadgets are very cool.

Driving the car is where you really learn to apprecaite the automobile. The suspension is great, the car hugs the road like no other maxima in the past and way better than the Altima. The car is quick off the line and nimble. The ride is harsher than my 01 but the handling improvment more than makes up for that. The engine is silky smooth and the tranmission shifts better that the previous genreations. On a nicely paved highway road the car is real quiet and smooth. The manual mode of the 5 speed automatic is fun. Of course, not a direct replaement for stick, but still nice.

So far, I love the car. It has a totaly different feel and look than any previous generation. Moving form an 01, I feel like im driving a lexus or infinity. Not like an Altima as other post on the board have suggested. These people obviously havent driven the car. Im sure Ill find some quirky things that annoy me, but so far, i love it. I probably should have waited and could have gotten a better deal.

The heated sterring wheel is a nice touch. The stereo sounds incredtible. Overall, it is a great car thats fun to drive.

http://04blackmax.netfirms.com/
Old 03-17-2003, 04:04 AM

Congratulations and I agree the car is a real attention getter but so has every new Maxima they are very stylish cars. What interior materials come with the SE Maxima. I sat in the SL and it had suede, leather, brush aluminum and wood.

Just curious did the 35K sticker include a longer warranty that is the only reason why I could not justify paying more than 30K for a 2004 and get a 3 year warranty and none lux customer service.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:08 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Congrats, you're one of the first to get one.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by perrymaxima
Congratulations and I agree the car is a real attention getter but so has every new Maxima they are very stylish cars. What interior materials come with the SE Maxima. I sat in the SL and it had suede, leather, brush aluminum and wood.

Just curious did the 35K sticker include a longer warranty that is the only reason why I could not justify paying more than 30K for a 2004 and get a 3 year warranty and none lux customer service.

It did not include a logner warranty. The 35 k price is the sticker with all the options I got. I definately over paid, but hey, you only live once.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by 2004BlackMax

It did not include a logner warranty. The 35 k price is the sticker with all the options I got. I definately over paid, but hey, you only live once.
Luck you I don't plan to spend that much on mine though. I won't get all the options. Enjoy that SWEET RIDE!... We're happy for ya
Old 03-17-2003, 08:58 AM
boo
Donating Maxima.org Member

Congrats, I'm sure you will enjoy it!! New cars are awesome and the 2004 Max is a good looking car that's sure to turn many heads .

boo
Old 03-17-2003, 09:35 AM

Re: Just picked up my 2004

I just picked up a 2004 Black Maxima SE with a frost interior, the Elite Package and every option. Paid 35K, couldn't talk him down below invoice. I traded my a 2001. The 2001 has decreased significantly in value as the arrival of the 04 made the book even lower.

I read all the comments and complaints about the new generation.

First of all, in black, it looks awesome. Grill and all. It defiantley has a much richer look than the Altima.

The 18inch rims are gorgeous. The frost (light grey) interior is luxurious. The lines of the car flow nicely. I pulled into a gas station last night and people kept comming over and looking at the car. Its defiantely an attention grabber. The navigation and all the gadgets are very cool.

Driving the car is where you really learn to apprecaite the automobile. The suspension is great, the car hugs the road like no other maxima in the past and way better than the Altima. The car is quick off the line and nimble. The ride is harsher than my 01 but the handling improvment more than makes up for that. The engine is silky smooth and the tranmission shifts better that the previous genreations. On a nicely paved highway road the car is real quiet and smooth. The manual mode of the 5 speed automatic is fun. Of course, not a direct replaement for stick, but still nice.

So far, I love the car. It has a totaly different feel and look than any previous generation. Moving form an 01, I feel like im driving a lexus or infinity. Not like an Altima as other post on the board have suggested. These people obviously havent driven the car. Im sure Ill find some quirky things that annoy me, but so far, i love it. I probably should have waited and could have gotten a better deal.

The heated sterring wheel is a nice touch. The stereo sounds incredtible. Overall, it is a great car thats fun to drive.

So did you pay sticker? or did the 35K include taxes, etc.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:42 AM

purchase price

I've been watching these threads for the last 6 months but have never posted. I'm "a geezer" and am ordering an sl today - finally decided on silver (rather than black because of the dirt factor - and hope that isn't a mistake.) In any event, i've got them to come down $1,700 below msrp (should i have be looking at invoice instead?) with free oil changes for life.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:47 AM

Re: purchase price

Originally posted by Yanke
I've been watching these threads for the last 6 months but have never posted. I'm "a geezer" and am ordering an sl today - finally decided on silver (rather than black because of the dirt factor - and hope that isn't a mistake.) In any event, i've got them to come down $1,700 below msrp (should i have be looking at invoice instead?) with free oil changes for life.
since the 04 maxima was just released it may be awhile till the dicounts are close to invoice or below........but im willing to wait a little while if i choose to trade my 2K2 in, still not sure if i like the 04 more than my 5th gen or not
Old 03-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Boost.....

any pics???
Old 03-17-2003, 02:43 PM

Re: Re: Just picked up my 2004

Originally posted by JAKE02

So did you pay sticker? or did the 35K include taxes, etc.
I paid sticker

I know paid too much, but I do have the car i wanted
Old 03-17-2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp
any pics???

I will take some this week and post them
Old 03-18-2003, 06:15 AM

hehe free oil changes for life hmm every 3000 miles so say 3 changes for every 10k miles gonna have it for maybe 100k..maybe.. so 30 x 10 = 300 bucks.. woohoo FREE oil changes 300 bucks hehehhe. its just funny how small the amount really is.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
hehe free oil changes for life hmm every 3000 miles so say 3 changes for every 10k miles gonna have it for maybe 100k..maybe.. so 30 x 10 = 300 bucks.. woohoo FREE oil changes 300 bucks hehehhe. its just funny how small the amount really is.
$10 for an oil change? Sure, maybe if you do it yourself, but to have any shop do it(much less the Stealership), it's an easy $20-$25 for non-synthetic oil. Still, I see what you mean - even if you figure on $25 a pop, we're still talking only $750 over the 100k time-period you'd own it. I guess it would then depend on whether you put 100k on your car in 3-4 years or 6-8 years.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:55 AM

I still don't know about a 35K car with out roadside assistance and 4 year 50,000 mile warranty. Maybe Nissan will offer the longer warranty on the 6th gen eventually as it stands now I would want my 6th gen to have equal the features my 5th gen have so I am looking at 30K plus I want the Nav well I want the fully loaded car so I figure 33K but I will wait and see if Nissan will improve the warranty to justify me spendinging so much $$$
Old 03-18-2003, 12:09 PM

I will take some this week and post them

Here is a link to some pics i took dthis afternoon.

I will update with better pics soon.

http://04blackmax.netfirms.com/
Old 03-18-2003, 01:14 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

How long is the lag in the transmission when you upshift via the shiftable mode? How about the downshifts? Let me know...

Looks really good in black, by the way I checked one out at the Atlanta auto show last weekend...great looking car. Felt good. I need to go test drive one now to really make up my mind.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Boost.....

Lookin good man!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Quicksilver
How long is the lag in the transmission when you upshift via the shiftable mode? How about the downshifts? Let me know...

Looks really good in black, by the way I checked one out at the Atlanta auto show last weekend...great looking car. Felt good. I need to go test drive one now to really make up my mind.
There is defiantely a little lag, but its not bad. The manual shift mode is no where near a replacement for stick, but it is fun.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:15 AM

!!!!

That car is so nice, congrats!!!!!hopefully i will be the next to buy one....
Old 03-19-2003, 01:14 PM

Re: !!!!

Originally posted by bbrandoman
That car is so nice, congrats!!!!!hopefully i will be the next to buy one....
Thank you
Old 03-19-2003, 03:41 PM

Car looks HOT
Interior looks good,
35K sounds way too much for a V6 Nissan
I would go with fully loaded G35.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:34 PM

Amazing car, black is definately a great color for it. Hey you know since you're one of the first to buy one, you're going to have to be one of the first to do something about the Grille and really blow open the potential of this amazing looking car

I have faith in you!!! lol

Seriously tho, good buy, sometimes you gotta pay a little more to get things earlier than the rest. Definately something I'd have done. The G35 is nice, but in my opinion, the styling on it is going to get old within a year or so... its too extreme. The new Max is a little on the wild side (styling wise) too, but I don't think as much so as the G35. I mean, Maximas have always had universal designs that have never really gotten old or out of date. Look at 4th gens, they still look great imo... 3rd gens are pushing it, lol... but 4th and 5th gens look great still, Nissan has good designers. The G35 will have to rely more on performance than styling (which I, too, think is extremely nice at this point) to get it through the long haul (which I think it can achieve in this way)
Old 03-19-2003, 08:22 PM

I have to say that black looks really good on that car.. the only thing I don't like is the wheel well gap, nothing a little suspension mod can't fix. congrats...

Kevin
Old 03-19-2003, 10:10 PM

congrats on the purchase!...Nice car, despite all the mixed emotions. I do find it weird that they eliminated the middle seat in the back...unless I'm seeing it wrong.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:10 AM

Congrats on the new Max! The looks are definitely growing on me.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by maximum810
congrats on the purchase!...Nice car, despite all the mixed emotions. I do find it weird that they eliminated the middle seat in the back...unless I'm seeing it wrong.
The "middle back seat" is only eliminated with the Elite Package which is dual bucket seats with console, a regular back seat is standard without the Elite package........
Old 03-20-2003, 08:41 AM

All these replies made me go out and check one out myself.
Here's my .02

At first glance the car looked huge. Inside of the car looks really good. Something I could get used to QUICK.
Looks like Nissan engineers paid a lot of attention to detail on this one.
Back of the car looks awesome, better than G35.
Front of the car is SO SO. G35 is on top here.
Inside of both automobiles is well organized, so it's a match.
Finish is not as bad as some say, although comparing to BMW and Audi it looks cheap.
One thing I Don't get is the weird skyview.
They should just stick with the Moonroof.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Rogo98SE
One thing I Don't get is the weird skyview.
They should just stick with the Moonroof.
Im shocked so many people dont like the skyview....I think it is awesome! Its diffrent...
Old 03-20-2003, 12:39 PM

yeah but that means u'll be stuck with crap**** nissan service even longer!

Originally posted by perrymaxima
I still don't know about a 35K car with out roadside assistance and 4 year 50,000 mile warranty. Maybe Nissan will offer the longer warranty on the 6th gen eventually as it stands now I would want my 6th gen to have equal the features my 5th gen have so I am looking at 30K plus I want the Nav well I want the fully loaded car so I figure 33K but I will wait and see if Nissan will improve the warranty to justify me spendinging so much $$$
Old 03-20-2003, 01:13 PM
Zog

Absolutely . . . . .

Gourgeous!! After i saw the one at my dealership i'm in love. But why oh why must they put those altima pipe looking gauges in there. Anyway huge congrats.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:22 PM

Picked mine up last night. Black w/ Black leather, 6 Speed, Drivers Preferred, HLSD, sunroof (not Skyview). It replaced my 98 SE 5-speed which was totalled in January Loved that car.

I've heard many opinions on this board, but I love it! I also love the fact the HLSD cars get the full size alloy wheel spare
Old 03-22-2003, 12:26 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have everything your car has in my 2k2. I dont want a Altima look a like. Congrats on your purchase. I test drove a 2k4 on sat, and the interior is nice, but when it comes to the exterior , if I wanted an Alty , I would have bought one !
Old 03-22-2003, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by kloogy
I have everything your car has in my 2k2. I dont want a Altima look a like. Congrats on your purchase. I test drove a 2k4 on sat, and the interior is nice, but when it comes to the exterior , if I wanted an Alty , I would have bought one !
This is the beauty of an forum. We are all entitled to an opinion. After my first week with the car, not one person has told me that it looks like an Altima. The new max is much more refined than an Altima. My 04 was parked next to a brand new Altima when I picked it up. Maybe, a little similar in the back, but even then, its different. The tail lights are not alike at all. Every look at two different models of Mercedes or BMW? Don't they have a similar, but different look? When driving around in the 04, you have a feeling as if your driving something special. A feeling that my 01 didn't give. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 01, but this 04 is an amazing vehicle. I really feel like im driving a high end luxury automobile when I'm behind the wheel. Of course, I have some complaints and quirks but overall, its a great car.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:46 AM

Congrats on your purchase! also you e_marston!

I would have got black interior..

I have buyers remorse now...but I can't afford a 35K car so oh well
Old 03-22-2003, 09:17 AM

Every look at two different models of Mercedes or BMW? Don't they have a similar, but different look?
My point exactly!!! Everyone is complaining cause its similar to the Altima....SO WHAT!!!!
Old 03-22-2003, 09:35 AM

This is the beauty of an forum. We are all entitled to an opinion. After my first week with the car, not one person has told me that it looks like an Altima. The new max is much more refined than an Altima. My 04 was parked next to a brand new Altima when I picked it up. Maybe, a little similar in the back, but even then, its different. The tail lights are not alike at all. Every look at two different models of Mercedes or BMW? Don't they have a similar, but different look? When driving around in the 04, you have a feeling as if your driving something special. A feeling that my 01 didn't give. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 01, but this 04 is an amazing vehicle. I really feel like im driving a high end luxury automobile when I'm behind the wheel. Of course, I have some complaints and quirks but overall, its a great car.
I now see why you pick your black 2k4 SE after seeing one in person. That color makes the car look even sweeter than the first one I was which was silver....and by the way I agree, it looked NOTHING like an Altima.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Spoiler?

The spoiler is no longer standard on the SE. Your car looks great! I am curious why it doesn't have a spoiler or is the raised lip on the trunk a replacement? Was the spoiler an option you did not want?
y
Old 03-22-2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
Congrats on your purchase! also you e_marston!

I would have got black interior..

I have buyers remorse now...but I can't afford a 35K car so oh well
a black interior for me in fl would be deadly.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:22 PM

It makes you feel special because its yours and you spent your hard earned money on it you should feel that way most people with new cars feel that way. I am sure some guys with loaded 02/03's feel the same way, but a car has never made me feel special even when I drive my wifes 350. Congrats

Quick Reply: Just picked up my 2004