6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

4 Test Drives and a 12 hour day

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 10:12 AM

4 Test Drives and a 12 hour day

The quest for a new sedan
After relinquishing my beautiful Black 2k2 6-Speed to the wife (things happen when you get married), it was time to start looking for a "replacement" for a car that I spent a good week buying not just a year ago. Finding a car to take its place was going to be another tough decision. After some research and a few online price comparisons, I decided I would go and look at both the 2004 Max and a 2003.5 G35 Sedan.

The cars
2004 Maxima: Liquid Silver SE, 6-Speed, 18's, Driver Preferred package w/ black leather, HID's, HLSD, and a few other options= List 32,280

2003.5 G35 Brillian Silver, 6-MT, Full Sport Package, Winter Package, Black Leather, Bose, Sunroof, Heated Seats, HID's, LSD = List 32,065

The Drive(s)
Max: First of all I have to say that, other than the now infamous grill, I really like the exterior of the car. Now, the interior gives me mixed feelings. 3 main "complaints"... 1) The instrumentation panel reminds me of the altima I decided against in 2002. 2) Does this car feel HUGE to anyone? With the driver side seat all the way back there was STILL room for me to sit in the back seat(im 6'2") comfortably. This is a good thing for passangers but gives me a terrible feeling while driving that the car is MUCH bigger than it actually is... noticably larger than my 2k2. 3) The materials used just didn't seem the same quality as my 2k2... I mean the leather was nice, but certain things about it just seems more "flimsy." Other than those things, I enjoy the overall new design layout and love the center control column and improved seat design. Now on to the drive... power = YES! But not any more than the 2k2. The clutch in the 2004 was definitely an improvement but still catches way to high with it's loooong throw. Steering / handling is slightly improved yet it feels as though the added weight and size provided for more body roll than the 2k2 model. The transmission feels nice and smooth, similar to the 2k2 but nothing like the G35. Overall a great ride.

G35: The exterior on this car is just plain beautiful. The sleek lines, high front fender, and 5 spoke 17's are fantastic. The interior has a sleek and refined look to it. The leather is very plush yet supporting and the constant orange glow from the instument panel finishes off a very euro looking dash. Some complaints: The sport package adds a "titanium" dash kit which looks just so-so. Room in the back seat is greatly dependant on how far back the driver sits. It is definitely designed to sit 4 and not 5. On to the drive... on the first shift i was amazed at the short throw shift and clutch setup...very nice. This car defines "sport sedan" in many ways with IMPRESSIVE acceleration... more so than the max, and a very tight ride with superb handling. The suspension is very stiff in comparison to both the 2k4 and 2k2 max which is great for handling yet generally degrades the over all comfort of the ride. All in all a totally different ride than the 2004 with the main difference being with the G, I forgot that it actually had a back seat while driving!

The Price
After hours of haggling at both dealerships, here are the final prices I was offered:
Max: 30,550
G53: 29,980
A difference of $570. Given, the Max is a brand new model with maybe slightly more features... I still couldn't believe that a G35 was actually less than the maxima.

Well I guess you all know what my decison was:

There she is... with a nice 4 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty to go with it, not to mention the free year of service and lifetime roadside assistance.

I hope this doesn't throw a wrench into anyone buying a new 2004

Aux
Old 03-19-2003, 10:18 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Congrats and great choice. I would have done the same.

Even though I'd prefer to get a Maxima over a G35, that's dependent on getting a significant discount on the Maxima vs the G35. If there's little to no difference, I'd get the G35.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:45 AM
bigmaxx

Sounded like a pretty easy choice to me.

Old 03-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Excellent choice!

I would call that an upgrade, not a replacement.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:38 PM

Re: 4 Test Drives and a 12 hour day

Originally posted by AuxNuke
After relinquishing my beautiful Black 2k2 6-Speed to the wife (things happen when you get married), it was time to start looking for a "replacement" for a car that I spent a good week buying not just a year ago. Finding a car to take its place was going to be another tough decision. After some research and a few online price comparisons, I decided I would go and look at both the 2004 Max and a 2003.5 G35 Sedan.

The cars
2004 Maxima: Liquid Silver SE, 6-Speed, 18's, Driver Preferred package w/ black leather, HID's, HLSD, and a few other options= List 32,280

2003.5 G35 Brillian Silver, 6-MT, Full Sport Package, Winter Package, Black Leather, Bose, Sunroof, Heated Seats, HID's, LSD = List 32,065

The Drive(s)
Max: First of all I have to say that, other than the now infamous grill, I really like the exterior of the car. Now, the interior gives me mixed feelings. 3 main "complaints"... 1) The instrumentation panel reminds me of the altima I decided against in 2002. 2) Does this car feel HUGE to anyone? With the driver side seat all the way back there was STILL room for me to sit in the back seat(im 6'2") comfortably. This is a good thing for passangers but gives me a terrible feeling while driving that the car is MUCH bigger than it actually is... noticably larger than my 2k2. 3) The materials used just didn't seem the same quality as my 2k2... I mean the leather was nice, but certain things about it just seems more "flimsy." Other than those things, I enjoy the overall new design layout and love the center control column and improved seat design. Now on to the drive... power = YES! But not any more than the 2k2. The clutch in the 2004 was definitely an improvement but still catches way to high with it's loooong throw. Steering / handling is slightly improved yet it feels as though the added weight and size provided for more body roll than the 2k2 model. The transmission feels nice and smooth, similar to the 2k2 but nothing like the G35. Overall a great ride.

G35: The exterior on this car is just plain beautiful. The sleek lines, high front fender, and 5 spoke 17's are fantastic. The interior has a sleek and refined look to it. The leather is very plush yet supporting and the constant orange glow from the instument panel finishes off a very euro looking dash. Some complaints: The sport package adds a "titanium" dash kit which looks just so-so. Room in the back seat is greatly dependant on how far back the driver sits. It is definitely designed to sit 4 and not 5. On to the drive... on the first shift i was amazed at the short throw shift and clutch setup...very nice. This car defines "sport sedan" in many ways with IMPRESSIVE acceleration... more so than the max, and a very tight ride with superb handling. The suspension is very stiff in comparison to both the 2k4 and 2k2 max which is great for handling yet generally degrades the over all comfort of the ride. All in all a totally different ride than the 2004 with the main difference being with the G, I forgot that it actually had a back seat while driving!

The Price
After hours of haggling at both dealerships, here are the final prices I was offered:
Max: 30,550
G53: 29,980
A difference of $570. Given, the Max is a brand new model with maybe slightly more features... I still couldn't believe that a G35 was actually less than the maxima.

Well I guess you all know what my decison was:

There she is... with a nice 4 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty to go with it, not to mention the free year of service and lifetime roadside assistance.

I hope this doesn't throw a wrench into anyone buying a new 2004

Aux
Congrats great choice I would have chosen the G35 over the 04 Max anyday. you are sort of similiar to us with two VQ35 in the house my 03 Max and my wifes 350Z, enjoy
Old 03-19-2003, 05:38 PM

great choice on the car, that lifetime roadside assistance will be very nice to have
Old 03-20-2003, 08:49 AM

Great choice,
G35 is definitley more sporty than the Max.
Just try to explain it to the sales guy I talked to yesterday.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:44 PM

yeah i was planning to do the same 'cept im not married so i have no reason to give up a new car
Old 03-20-2003, 03:26 PM
vqman

not that this has anything to do with 6th Generation Maxima's, (but it does have to do with the G35)

I looked at a G35 automatic---no 6speed at the time, a 330i and a used 1998 M3 before I settled on my 2003 Maxima 6 speed.

It had to do with a space/fun to drive compormise.

but if they had a 6 speed G35, the fun to drive would have been a little stronger with the G35...then I would have probably gone with the G35.

the main reason I didn't get the G35 (besides AT) was it's size. My wife immediatly said "it's too small" when she got in for the test drive...she was used to my 1998 Maxima, and her 2001 Pathfinder....

good choice though...

-vq

Old 03-20-2003, 09:24 PM

WTF? THE G35????.....

LUCKY DAWG!!!!!!!! THATS A BEAUTIFUL CAR! Easily nicer/more refined than the 2k4 Maxima, Then again its upper scale NNA Corp. Great CHOICE!
Old 03-21-2003, 05:57 AM
MaximaFreak

Yeah, ummmm, Skyline V35 vs the 04 Maxima? If you have a family you will want the Maxima but if you like to drive and like to have good Dealer Service experiences, the G35 sedan (a.k.a. Skyline V35) is the way to go. I'm BANKING on the G35c by August. I already bought V35.com and I will at least have a front page up soon. Not many people know that the G35 is actually the Skyline in Japan, just not the GTR.

The GTR is coming soon tho
Old 03-21-2003, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: 4 Test Drives and a 12 hour day

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Congrats great choice I would have chosen the G35 over the 04 Max anyday. you are sort of similiar to us with two VQ35 in the house my 03 Max and my wifes 350Z, enjoy
dood you are like Russ.. instead you buy 2 new cars every year
Old 03-21-2003, 08:45 AM
rcy

Re: 4 Test Drives and a 12 hour day

Aux
For God's sake man, don't let your wife take the G35 from you. She's stuck with the Max (like that's a bad thing??!!).
Old 03-21-2003, 12:07 PM

Thanx for all the replies!

So far I am very happy with the G35. It's a beautiful car and, for the money, I think I got a great deal. The difference over the 2k2 Max is just unbelieveable... especially the handling and the sport transmission.

Happy driving all and, for those who wanna know, its hard keeping the keys out of the wife's hands

Aux
Old 03-21-2003, 12:58 PM

So far I am very happy with the G35. It's a beautiful car and, for the money, I think I got a great deal. The difference over the 2k2 Max is just unbelieveable... especially the handling and the sport transmission.

Happy driving all and, for those who wanna know, its hard keeping the keys out of the wife's hands

Aux
Would you term the ride as harsh? Seems like Nissan, along with the other Japanese automakers have a hard time with ride quality.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:21 PM

Was there any real decision?

I just came from the local Nissan dealership where they have two '04 Maximas in their showroom. The thing is huge! Its as ugly in person as it is in pictures. There is no longer anything sporty about the Maxima. The interior has the Toyota Avalon, way pass forty feel, except for the, who thought the motorcycle gauges was a good idea, instrumentation which sticks out like a sore thumb.

Pass on the test drive and hopped into the 350Z. All I can say is WOW! That thing is unbelievable!
Old 03-21-2003, 02:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: 4 Test Drives and a 12 hour day

Originally posted by SprintMax

dood you are like Russ.. instead you buy 2 new cars every year
Nope Im not like him bud, My 01 was totalled early last year and My wife had a 97 SE so we had one car for a while. In January she sold her 97 after 5 years and got her 350Z and I got my 03 Max on the same day, so I am nothing like Russ!
Old 03-21-2003, 03:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 4 Test Drives and a 12 hour day

what is this big deal with Russ? i keep hearin' 'bout him but have no idea who the **** he is

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Nope Im not like him bud, My 01 was totalled early last year and My wife had a 97 SE so we had one car for a while. In January she sold her 97 after 5 years and got her 350Z and I got my 03 Max on the same day, so I am nothing like Russ!
Old 03-24-2003, 05:37 AM

Great choice Aux!!

Originally posted by max...to the ma
what is this big deal with Russ? i keep hearin' 'bout him but have no idea who the **** he is

He's a former Y2k(?) Max owner that traded up for an Acura CL Type S and in the past few months traded that for an Audi A4 1.8T.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:40 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

No cracks on Russ. He's sorta realized the errors of his ways and is trying to improve, so we're giving him the opportunity to do so and regain the respect of this community.

max...to the ma - you would have needed to have been here around late 2001 to have the full perspective about who Russ is. You just registered recently, so don't worry about it. He's quite a character, though.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC

max...to the ma - you would have needed to have been here around late 2001 to have the full perspective about who Russ is. You just registered recently, so don't worry about it. He's quite a character, though.

Understatement of the decade!!!

(Wonder if Russ saw the Motor Trend comparison test between the '04 Maxima and the A4 1.8T?)
Old 03-26-2003, 08:39 AM

ARE YOU CRAZY?

Just kidding, I own a 2k2 6spd Max, but I think the G35 is

BAD A$$!!!!!!

Congrats!
Old 03-27-2003, 02:33 PM

Aux
excellent choice. ive heard the car is too small. my step mom went with a es300 because of that but is giving it to my dad to get the g35. ha ha nice step mom huh?
Old 03-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Big_Ham
Yeah, ummmm, Skyline V35 vs the 04 Maxima? If you have a family you will want the Maxima but if you like to drive and like to have good Dealer Service experiences, the G35 sedan (a.k.a. Skyline V35) is the way to go. I'm BANKING on the G35c by August. I already bought V35.com and I will at least have a front page up soon. Not many people know that the G35 is actually the Skyline in Japan, just not the GTR.

The GTR is coming soon tho
umm..dont you mean the R35?
Old 03-27-2003, 08:44 PM

I think the G35 Sedan looks like an electric car but it is a true drivers car and that can be appreciated. The interior is also nicer than the 04 Max but the 03 Max interior is better than both. RWD owns FWD, I mean, a bunch of people are going to make this choice (G over Max). Add in Infinit's service and this is damn near a no-brainer.

For those worried about a harsh ride. THese cars don't ride on plush 16" tires, these 17" and 18" low profile tires and they make your ride jiggly and harsh, especially if the suspension is 1/2 ***. Not to mention if u drive a bunch, you'll go through tires every 6 months.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What is the 0-60 time on the G35 6 speed?
Old 04-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice car!

Check out mine!

http://www.sfu.ca/~tyau/cars/g35%20+%20maxima.jpg

http://www.sfu.ca/~tyau/cars/g35%20head.jpg

http://www.sfu.ca/~tyau/cars/nissan%20maxima.jpg

http://www.sfu.ca/~tyau/cars/front.jpg
Old 04-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 95bluse

Would you term the ride as harsh? Seems like Nissan, along with the other Japanese automakers have a hard time with ride quality.
My mom has a g35 with the sport pkge, and while it is pretty stiff, it is also, yields a well dampened ride! In my own opinion, that is what matters most. Personally I think the ride is ten times better than my max. Stiffer for sure, but it is solid and you don't feel bumps in the same way. BTW I am in Boston and the roads are pathetic!!!