6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Test drove a 2004 today

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 06:50 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Test drove a 2004 today

I test drove a 2004 3.5 SE today at Jack Ingram Nissan in Montgomery, AL

The car was an automatic with cloth interior, standard stereo, no nav, skyview roof, etc. A base SE.

Draw your own conclusions about the looks. It's definitely different. The only thing I would change would be to make the big chrome square in the grille body-colored.

The interior is well laid out if funny looking. Most of the controls are easy to use, but the tiny buttons can be a pain. Overall materials seemed high-quality, but the assembly was sub-par. Also, the terry cloth on the doors and across the dash looks like they used a bath towel to trim out the interior.

This car definitely feels like is was put together in the good ole USA. (this is not a good thing)

On the road it's pretty nice car. It has good power all across the rev range. The transmission doesn't waste too much time shifting or kicking down to pass. As you would expect, the "manu-matic" feature is useless. It handles much better than the 5th gen cars. I think this is due to the new sophisitcated rear suspension design. It feels much more stable in all handling moves.

The ride is isolated enough, but it still feels buttoned down and secure.

Overall assesment: If you are looking for a quick sedan in the low $30k range, get the G35.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:40 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

good assessment, i'll have to test one out at a dealer in my area sometime soon, but a ? about the info center screen? I assume yours had the non-nav system, how was the layout of it? was it a monochromatic display as shown in some pics or multi-colored?
Old 03-28-2003, 07:43 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Wht98SE
good assessment, i'll have to test one out at a dealer in my area sometime soon, but a ? about the info center screen? I assume yours had the non-nav system, how was the layout of it? was it a monochromatic display as shown in some pics or multi-colored?
it's monochrome orange on black.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:23 PM

I test drove the 5spd auto SE on Saturday while I was at the dealer finalizing my Z's paperwork. I don't have much assessment on the entire car except that it was fast, drove very nice and handled turns pretty well.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:25 PM

if the assessment is that the sporty car audience should go for the G35, which audience do u think the Max is for exactly? i have my own opinion but was just curious
Old 04-01-2003, 03:34 PM

Re: Test drove a 2004 today

Originally posted by mzmtg

This car definitely feels like is was put together in the good ole USA. (this is not a good thing)

Any automobile that is put together in the US is junk. No offense to the Max though.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:22 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Test drove a 2004 today

Originally posted by Maxman2000

Any automobile that is put together in the US is junk.
Oh dear.. here we go again.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:33 AM

Re: Test drove a 2004 today

Originally posted by mzmtg
I test drove a 2004 3.5 SE today at Jack Ingram Nissan in Montgomery, AL

The car was an automatic with cloth interior, standard stereo, no nav, skyview roof, etc. A base SE.

Draw your own conclusions about the looks. It's definitely different. The only thing I would change would be to make the big chrome square in the grille body-colored.

The interior is well laid out if funny looking. Most of the controls are easy to use, but the tiny buttons can be a pain. Overall materials seemed high-quality, but the assembly was sub-par. Also, the terry cloth on the doors and across the dash looks like they used a bath towel to trim out the interior.

On the road it's pretty nice car. It has good power all across the rev range. The transmission doesn't waste too much time shifting or kicking down to pass. As you would expect, the "manu-matic" feature is useless. It handles much better than the 5th gen cars. I think this is due to the new sophisitcated rear suspension design. It feels much more stable in all handling moves.

The ride is isolated enough, but it still feels buttoned down and secure.

Overall assesment: If you are looking for a quick sedan in the low $30k range, get the G35.
Just wanted to say--- i love your sig man. Preach on.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:07 PM

Yup, so the altima is junk? the civic?.

thats lame.

Mike S.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:43 AM

Mike, there may be some build quality issues, especially in a "new" model. I do know that when I was looking for my '02 Maxima that I test drove an '02 3.5 Altima first and it rattled, had lots of gaps inside and out. I mentioned this to the salesman and he said, "well, you know where the Altima is built." I nodded my head and ended up getting the Maxima instead. Now, understand I do like American built cars...the Maxima is my first import car. I own an '01 Vette, '02 Stang, and my son drives a Neon...so I'm not against owning American built cars. But for my first import I really wanted one that was built in Japan. And so far, it's been faultless (except for the fact that the MAXIMA emblem was a bit crooked, which I had them replace).