6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Question for 6th Gen. 6sp. owners....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 05:24 AM

Question for 6th Gen. 6sp. owners....

How do you find the shift feel on your car? I finally got around to test driving the specific Maxima model I would most likely buy (6sp. with HLSD and leather) but was disappointed by the feel of the shifter. For frame of reference, I currently drive an '01 Anniversary Edition 5-speed. The shift mechanism isn't going to worry BMW or Honda engineers too much, but it's not bad - just a touch rubbery with throws a bit too long.

I was hoping for much better with the '04, but in the very first shift into second gear I heard and felt a noticeable CLUNK! Every time I shifted into second gear (whether 1-2 or 3-2) the same clunk announced itself - I even heard it over the radio for crying out loud. Strangely enough, this was not noticeable shifting into any other gear, but as you can appreciate, 2nd gear gets frequent visits and it was annoying the cr@p out of me even on the relatively short test drive. Aren't there supposed to be triple cone synchronizers for 2nd gear? Aren't triple cone synchronizers supposed to be a good thing? I am hopeful that you 6th gen. owners will tell me that this is an aberration and that shift feel is really much better on your cars. Also, could you indicate what you were driving before, so I have an idea what you're comparing the shift feel to?

Regards,

Jaeger
Old 06-11-2003, 05:36 AM
Moderator GT-R

Re: Question for 6th Gen. 6sp. owners....

Originally posted by Jaeger
How do you find the shift feel on your car?...
Well... I don't know what to say. The very thing you find objectionable about the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shift I find quite refreshing. Far from a 'clunk,' I perceive it as a precise engagement. It is more pronounced on the 1-2 than the others but it is there on all but 4-5 and 5-6. If I have a complaint it is that the 4-5 is not natural feeling.

My frame of reference, I traded a 2k1 AE 5spd for the 2k4. I really like the 2k4 better than the AE in this department.

I have a good friend whose ship came in a few years ago and he has let me drive his Ferrari 550 a couple of times. The 1-2 shift is very similar. Yes the Ferrari is a gated shifter but the engagement is very similar.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Question for 6th Gen. 6sp. owners....

How do you find the shift feel on your car?
My previous car was a '97 5-speed SE and now I have the '04 SE w/ 6-speed. The noise I hear shifting from 1st to 2nd is more of a solid "click." It almost sounds like the shift lever is hitting the console although I know that's not the case because there's plenty of clearance. I think it has something to do with the linkage rather than the transmission.

As far as shifting goes, 1st-to-2nd, 2nd-to-3rd and 3rd-to-4th are all pretty smooth because the shifter is spring-loaded to the 3-4 gate. 4th-to-5th, on the other hand, takes some getting used to. I have to push the lever into the neutral gate with the palm of my hand, then grab the **** and push hard right and then up and slightly to the left to avoid getting hung up on the entrance to the reverse gate. Of course, it won't actually enter the reverse gate unless you pull up on the ring. 5th-to-6th is OK as long as you make sure you're pushing hard to the right or otherwise you'll end up back in 4th. Downshifting from 5th or 6th into 3rd or 4th is very easy because the spring snaps the lever back into the 3-4 gate.

The throw is relatively long but I like it because it's about the same as my '97 was. I drove a 6-speed G35 which has a very short throw -- more like a twist of the wrist. I believe the 350Z is similar. I prefer the extra leverage of the longer throw.

One other thing about the G35 -- the clutch was very stiff. I've been driving stick shifts all my life but, after 10 minutes in a G35, my leg ached. I've had no such problem with the Max.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:28 AM

Re: Re: Question for 6th Gen. 6sp. owners....

Originally posted by alpine205

I prefer the extra leverage of the longer throw.
Well that sure seperates you from the rest of the world. I love a nice short crisp throw, like the one in my Miata.

My wife drives an Eclipse and the throw is way too long. I didn't drive the 6 speed since I knew I wasn't going to get it... probably should have tested it anyway. I was afraid I would like it
Old 06-11-2003, 08:58 AM

Rowing through long gears is usually a bad thing, a short throw/tight gate is much more desirable - shouldn't be a chore to run the gears, especially on the way down. While i enjoy the power and fun of the manual shift, i don't want the school-bus shifter with a foot of throw between 1 and 2 gear.

The auto-shift in my 04 is fun, but doesn't give the satisfaction of the clutch/shift/gas ritual. I agree with gmc74, would've probably liked the 6speed too much, and regretted it later in the deep traffic.

That said, I don't think any of the manual shift gates on newer cars are going to be too tedious or long.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by coffeeshark
I agree with gmc74, would've probably liked the 6speed too much, and regretted it later in the deep traffic.
45 miles a day each way to and from work would have been a b!tch with a manual. I get some satisfaction out of the manumatic, but I don't use it all that often. I just push until I hit the floor and hold it there
Old 06-11-2003, 11:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Question for 6th Gen. 6sp. owners....

I prefer the extra leverage of the longer throw.

Well that sure seperates you from the rest of the world.
Old school, I guess. I'm used to the shift into 2nd being kind of a "SLAAAMMMMM" rather than a "dink." By the way, the throw from 1st to 2nd on the Max is 4-1/2 inches -- not real long.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for 6th Gen. 6sp. owners....

Originally posted by alpine205

Old school, I guess. I'm used to the shift into 2nd being kind of a "SLAAAMMMMM" rather than a "dink." By the way, the throw from 1st to 2nd on the Max is 4-1/2 inches -- not real long.
On the Miata my wrist never moves, just like tilting your hand back and forth. I am surprised someone hasn't made a short throw kit for the Max... There could be one out there for all I know..
Old 06-11-2003, 12:41 PM

I love the shift in the car .. before you know it you're in 3rd
Old 06-11-2003, 10:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for 6th Gen. 6sp. owners....

Originally posted by gmc74

On the Miata my wrist never moves, just like tilting your hand back and forth. I am surprised someone hasn't made a short throw kit for the Max... There could be one out there for all I know..
Agreed Miatas are great and short throws are much better than long IMO also.