6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

satellite radio not controlled from steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

satellite radio not controlled from steering wheel

anyone know if you can tune the satellite radio from the steering wheel controls. volume works, but when you use the tune button, you jump back into regular radio and out of satellite.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jljonathan
anyone know if you can tune the satellite radio from the steering wheel controls. volume works, but when you use the tune button, you jump back into regular radio and out of satellite.

The tuning on the steering goes down your presets program. I have "c" presets programmed for satellite and it goes through the list with the button on the wheel.

I hope this helps.

Now, if Nissan would have lit those buttons on the wheel it would have been nice!
Old 10-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i don't mean the presets, when you use the radio, you can seek using the steering wheel button to find other freguencies, it seems you can't seek for other satellite channels.

Originally Posted by swobrien
The tuning on the steering goes down your presets program. I have "c" presets programmed for satellite and it goes through the list with the button on the wheel.

I hope this helps.

Now, if Nissan would have lit those buttons on the wheel it would have been nice!
Old 10-21-2003, 06:09 PM

No I searched for every method to try to get it too work. To tune between sat radio you have to use the channel ****. I just preset the stations I like and cycle through them with the controls on the steeling wheel
Old 10-23-2003, 12:03 PM

How do you get the Sat to work, I have the button anyone know what site to go to to get the subscription or do I have go to BEST BUYs or something. thanks for any help.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jnp1
How do you get the Sat to work, I have the button anyone know what site to go to to get the subscription or do I have go to BEST BUYs or something. thanks for any help.
You'd have to get the subscription from the dealer. They'll also have to install the antenna.

I'm assuming you're one of the lucky ones who got the sticker that said you can install it at a future date. Some of us (like me) can't even do that.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by peetah
You'd have to get the subscription from the dealer. They'll also have to install the antenna.

I'm assuming you're one of the lucky ones who got the sticker that said you can install it at a future date. Some of us (like me) can't even do that.

Yeah I did have that sticker, and does that antenna cost money or it free? Now that I think of it, thats a stupid question, what in this world is free anymore.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:00 PM

Oh yes you can.

I retrofitted XM radio with the kit I ordered from Grubbs Infiniti. Very doable - would take you a few hours on the weekend.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by bradshaw46
Oh yes you can.

I retrofitted XM radio with the kit I ordered from Grubbs Infiniti. Very doable - would take you a few hours on the weekend.
Is it integrated into the radio or is it a small controller that you've got to stick somewhere?

I'm living temporarily in Ft. Worth (that's what they told me a year ago)... so I got a car here.... a Maxima of course.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:35 AM

Is it integrated into the radio or is it a small controller that you've got to stick somewhere?

I'm living temporarily in Ft. Worth (that's what they told me a year ago)... so I got a car here.... a Maxima of course.
It's the OEM receiver and wiring harness (only with an Infiniti label) - works fine in the 04Max and activates when you hit the SAT button on the factory radio. Antenna is included in the kit. You can order the parts from here:

http://www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com
Old 10-24-2003, 12:09 PM

For those of you who have the xm in your ride where did you mount the antenna
Old 10-24-2003, 12:54 PM

It's the OEM receiver and wiring harness (only with an Infiniti label) - works fine in the 04Max and activates when you hit the SAT button on the factory radio. Antenna is included in the kit. You can order the parts from here:

Woo hoo! Time to call them up and see if they have it in stock. I have a real weekend project now!
Old 10-24-2003, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nu04Maxowner
For those of you who have the xm in your ride where did you mount the antenna
I *hated* the idea of mounting the antenna on the roof of my car - I just didn't like the look of it. So, I simply mounted it on the rear shelf directly behind the third brake lamp. Reception is fine there. I used a few of the velcro strips that shipped with the receiver to hold it in place there. It's very clean and non-obtrusive. Since my windows are tinted, no one is even aware that I have SAT radio.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:33 PM

Woo hoo! Time to call them up and see if they have it in stock. I have a real weekend project now!
Absolutely. Here's the thread where most of the details are discussed:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

You'll see my comments there, along with some hints from others which are very valuable. The install is easier than you think - the biggest issue (as noted in the thread) is getting past the fear of doing it. Take your time and don't rush - it's *very* doable and you'll be happy with the results.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:42 PM

I have the SAT button but the sticker says something about no retrofit. Are you saying this is incorrect and the Infiniti SAT radio would do just fine? If so, is there a space behind the face plate for the SAT radio or does it have to replace something there now?

I found the 'no retrofit' statement sticker confusing.Thanks.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by m00se
I have the SAT button but the sticker says something about no retrofit. Are you saying this is incorrect and the Infiniti SAT radio would do just fine? If so, is there a space behind the face plate for the SAT radio or does it have to replace something there now?

Nissan has put out conflicting information. In the beginning Nissan's documentation stated that no retrofit would be available. There are some Nissan dealers that are now carrying the parts for the 2004 Maxima. If your car was not pre-wired, you will have to buy a wiring harness. I purchased my Satellite receiver kit from Grubbs. It was a nissan part. The tuner and antennae was 299 and the wiring harness was about 50. Shipping is expensive ($30), but you do not have to pay tax. I found an audio shop to install it for $75.

FYI: The wiring harness connects to the radio and runs to the trunk. The receiver was installed in the trunk.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:11 PM

Based on what I've figured out so far, the radio that's installed is capable of controlling the satellite receiver but it's missing the satellite receiver, the satellite antenna, and the harness.

I think they put that sticker in there because of a shortage of parts, didn't have confidence in the dealer performing the install, or some other stupid economic reason.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:31 PM

Based on what I've figured out so far, the radio that's installed is capable of controlling the satellite receiver but it's missing the satellite receiver, the satellite antenna, and the harness.

I think they put that sticker in there because of a shortage of parts, didn't have confidence in the dealer performing the install, or some other stupid economic reason.
Thanks everyone. Not sure I'll ever get this installed but would like to know what to expect should I ever decide on putting it in. Just haven't justified the monthly subscription to SAT radio since I really don't do a lot of out of town trips by car.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:36 PM

Thanks everyone. Not sure I'll ever get this installed but would like to know what to expect should I ever decide on putting it in. Just haven't justified the monthly subscription to SAT radio since I really don't do a lot of out of town trips by car.
I justified the cost easily. Don't eat out for lunch for one day at work per month.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:17 PM

I justified the cost easily. Don't eat out for lunch for one day at work per month.
I guess not ever having heard the quality/choice of programming on SAT radio has caused me to not see the value in the monthly subscription. Perhaps once I've had the opportunity to sit in someone's car who has SAT radio may change that.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:57 AM

_I currently have Xm in to be honest nothing beats it. Continous music 24 hrs a day plus comedy and much more the best thing is the mixes
Old 10-25-2003, 09:51 AM

ok.. If the vechicle is pre wired what does that mean exactly. Does it mean that the wires are connected to the radio already and is ran through the car where the receiver would be installed at....and if so where would I find the wires?
Old 10-25-2003, 12:17 PM

ok.. If the vechicle is pre wired what does that mean exactly. Does it mean that the wires are connected to the radio already and is ran through the car where the receiver would be installed at....and if so where would I find the wires?
From what my dealer told me, if it's pre-wired, all you need is the antenna and service. If I remember correctly, Nissan will throw in two months of service if you get it from them.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:21 PM

I guess not ever having heard the quality/choice of programming on SAT radio has caused me to not see the value in the monthly subscription. Perhaps once I've had the opportunity to sit in someone's car who has SAT radio may change that.
Rent a car that has satellite radio for a weekend or a day.

Hertz has cars that's wired for Sirius. Avis has XM.

Between the two, my preference is XM. They have a range of programming that suits me.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:00 AM

I currently have the Sirius hooked up in my 04. I was able to justify spending the $12.95 a month. I do not listen to radio or CD's anymore. Continuous music whnever you want it. Additionally, having no commercials is a plus. I couldn't justify paying for Satellite if I was going to listen to commercials. A main reason for choosing Sirius.

Regardless of if I am driving 5 min. or an hour. It was prewired and I installed the tuner box and antenna myself. Although, I am not a fan of the antenna on the roof, it gives the best reception so that's where it went.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:14 AM

lay down your folding back seat. Remove the two plastic screws on the top trunk covering with a phillips screw driver. You will see your amp and speakers. If your car was prewired you should see a coiled wire with a plastic connector on the end. Your satellite receiver should plug into this harness.