6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Lemon Law??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 08:32 AM

Lemon Law??

How do you justify having a lemon. My car has been back and forth to the dealer 5 times for the same issue. The issue is the shimmy problem. But mine doesn't shimmy as bad as it vibrates. They seem to have run out of options and they still can't fix the car. Is this concidered a lemon?
Old 11-18-2003, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 98maxse
How do you justify having a lemon. My car has been back and forth to the dealer 5 times for the same issue. The issue is the shimmy problem. But mine doesn't shimmy as bad as it vibrates. They seem to have run out of options and they still can't fix the car. Is this concidered a lemon?

Last I heard of the law is 3 strikes their out.. but I don't know if it acutally has to be "fixed" then break again.. your problem seems to not have been fixed at all.
Talk to the general manager and see what he is willining to do.. be professional about it, then if he won't give you what you are looking for then take it up with nissan corp offices. GL
Old 11-18-2003, 10:36 AM

Have them adjust the rack and pinion steering.

Originally Posted by ILoveMyMax
Last I heard of the law is 3 strikes their out.. but I don't know if it acutally has to be "fixed" then break again.. your problem seems to not have been fixed at all.
Talk to the general manager and see what he is willining to do.. be professional about it, then if he won't give you what you are looking for then take it up with nissan corp offices. GL
Old 11-18-2003, 10:44 AM

Well I just talked to the nissan dealer now. They said they changed my axles and gave me 2 new tires. They said the problem is fixed. We shall see.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From Prinz, just in case.

http://www.carlemon.com/lemons.html
Old 11-18-2003, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by 98maxse
I would assume you have seen my other posts regarding vibration in my 04 SE....

I went the BBB route and just got the results back from my "buy back" hearing. Due to Nissan conveniently calling the vibration a "normal characteristic of the car", the BBB decided that’s OK and Nissan has to do nothing. Literally, when a manufacturer states its an inherent design by fault or default the BBB will do nothing - even if its a bad fault. What a waste of my time and a crock of you no what. I will look into having the rotors checked for balance but at the same time am filing with the Sate Department of Motor Vehicles to pursue lemon law/buyback.

I could go on and on but the bottom line is, as usual, the consumer is getting the shaft due to poor quality.

Have they changed your front rotors as well as the axles?? Please let me know if their are any changes in the vibration. The "rack" adjustment will just cover up the "Shimmy" issue, will do nothing for vibration. This is total BS for a "Flagship" sedan. I’m out of town on business right now driving a $10000 Hyundia rental and its ride at 70mph places my 04 Max in the horse and buggy territory. I will fight this until resolved.

Please let me know how the/your last visit to the service dept went....

thanks

Smitty
Old 11-18-2003, 07:37 PM

Hey I sell those $10,000 Hyundai's they're really not bad cars. Don't knock it cause they're cheap :-)
Old 11-19-2003, 12:40 AM

The BBB is an organization primarily funded by the auto companies and your experience with them is unfortunately predictable. The OEMs hope this process will either persuade or wear out the uninformed consumer and they will go away and live with the problem. If Nissan can't or won't fix the shimmy/vibration issue, follow the link provided for the lemon laws and/or hire an attorney. This is not something ANY car manufacturer can state with any honesty that was "designed" into the car. I mean, can you just hear the Nissan lawyers in court........Yes your honour, this is out new flagship and we thought it would be a competitive advantage to design it to vibrate and shimmy at speed and to subsequently have affected consumers replace tires, rotors, steering racks and wheels in an attempt to mititigate the symptoms.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:44 AM

OK they cahnged to rear tires and my axle in the front. It seems like it's fixed but I need a long trip again to make sure. I will keep you guys posted.