6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 Max Stick or Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 05:39 PM

2004 Max Stick or Auto?

I really love the new Max and want to get one soon. I live outside Chicago, and many people tell me that its a bad idea to get a stick in the city. A lot of the driving i do is in semi-suburban areas( a light here and there). Anyone know how many Maxs Nissan plans to sell with a manual trans? And anyone have any advice? How is the manual trans on the max?
Old 11-30-2003, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by maxpol
I really love the new Max and want to get one soon. I live outside Chicago, and many people tell me that its a bad idea to get a stick in the city. A lot of the driving i do is in semi-suburban areas( a light here and there). Anyone know how many Maxs Nissan plans to sell with a manual trans? And anyone have any advice? How is the manual trans on the max?
Well, this is a pretty general question but I would "think" stop and go traffic would be hell on the clutch in a manual. Also, I'm currently driving an auto 2004 Max with the little e shift thingy and it works similarly to a manual. Not as responsive but you can down/up shift when needed.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Moderator GT-R

I have a 6spd in Dallas, it sucks in crush-hour traffic. I think it makes up for it at other times but I'd switch if I could.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:22 PM

I live outside Chicago, and many people tell me that its a bad idea to get a stick in the city. A lot of the driving i do is in semi-suburban areas( a light here and there). Anyone know how many Maxs Nissan plans to sell with a manual trans? And anyone have any advice? How is the manual trans on the max?
I have a 6 speed and live in a smaller city than Chicago. I also am able to generally stay away from stop-and-go traffic situations. Understanding that, I love my 6-speed stick! The stick was what I wanted, and the Nissan Maxima had the best combo of modern engine, 6-speed tranny, reasonable price and 4 door sedan.

Before I retired, I lived in suburban Chicago and commuted on the Illinois Toll Road every work day in a 5 speed manual Celica. There were a few rough back-ups on the Toll Road when I wished I had an Automatic. But most of the time I was happy to be driving a stick. For me it's a case of wanting as much control as possible -- which a stick gives you over an automatic. However, if you are not sold on getting a stick, I would recommend that you buy the 5-speed automatic on the SE.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the advice. Did you get the helical limited slip differential? Is it worth getting, and how much does it help? I dont think you can get it without getting the driver preffered package, that sucks?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:20 PM

I wouldn't get a stick in the city, but that is just me. I hate stop and go traffic, and it is a nightmare here in Phoenix if you have a stick.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the advice. Did you get the helical limited slip differential? Is it worth getting, and how much does it help? I dont think you can get it without getting the driver preffered package, that sucks?
Because our car was totaled, we needed new wheels quickly. If there had been time to order a specific car (dealer said 2 to 3 months), I would have ordered the helical limited slip and a sun roof. We could not wait that long, so took what was available. There were options I really needed like 6-speed and cloth seats (I can't stand leather seats); and options I wanted like the Bose system with 6 CD changer, xenon headlights, limited slip and a sun roof. Well I got all but the last two. (We also lucked into a car with a clear bra on the front that the dealer forgot to charge for until after we'd reached a price.) There were colors that I wanted, and Silver was in second place after White. After having a Silver car, I now understand how much better it hides dirt than White. (The clear bra is nice too.)

The info I have does not specify that the limited slip is only available on or with the Preferred Package, so you can probably order it spearately. (Xenon lights are a part of the Preferred Package -- SE only -- but I have them on my SE Maxima without this package.) I also found that among dealer stock Maximas in Colorado, the only SEs with a sun roof also had leather seats (the Sensory Package). They seem to put these two together, so they probably put the limited slip with the Preferred Package.