6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

car broken into :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 04:01 PM

car broken into :(

Well I left for vacation to Montreal Thursday morning, Friday night my parents call to tell me someone broke into my car.

What ***** these people have, right in front of my house at 10PM....

Anyway I just have a few questions, comments, problems I wanna share.

They broke in by popping out the lock cylinder on the drivers side door and sticking a screw driver in. When you do that, both windows roll down and the doors unlock and it bypasses the alarm. HOW RIDICULOUS IS THIS!!!!! It happens on a lot of cars, my next door neighbor has a brand new 5 series BMW and they broke in the same way.

All they stole was my manual, what do you think they want it for?? Does it have some code to make a chip for the key, since they have the cylinder?

Also.... called nissan, they want $1800 to fix it, and thats without any body work (thank god no body damage). They also said the parts are back ordered for a month because there are so many stolen. I had no idea this was an epidemic. They said they have about 20 cars sitting on the lot waiting for the same thing to be fixed.

I dont even want it fixed, I am going ot have the peice removed (its nothing mechanical at all - all electronic) and the hole capped.

GRRRRR, car is now in my driveway with a big chain and lock on the gate....
Old 01-12-2004, 05:31 PM

I'm guessing they couldn't steal the car because of the immobilizer system needing a key to deactivate.

Car thieves suck.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Redline
I'm guessing they couldn't steal the car because of the immobilizer system needing a key to deactivate.

Car thieves suck.

Same...... but why steal the manual?

Does it have a code in there where they can make a key (they have the door cylinder...)

They did the same exact thing to my neighbors car. Took the manual, he has a new 5-series BMW.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by fixxxer
They did the same exact thing to my neighbors car. Took the manual, he has a new 5-series BMW.
Could it be an initiation for a club/ring/gang and the manual and key cylinder are the proof to take back?
Old 01-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Banned

Man, living in the Bronx must really suck when it comes to owning a hot car like that! I'd either move to a place w/ a garage or just move out of NY altogether! I'm from NJ originally, so I feel your pain! Use to live in DC for awhile as well and had my brand new car broken into then as well! Sucks living in the city because you are even more exposed to BS like that!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 07:45 PM

You're kidding me? 6th Gen Maxima broken in? That is very unusual to steal a manual. I know the manual doesn't have codes in it. They have to have the actual key and key tag to get a key program. Cylinder lock itself doesn't cut it to get a key made to steal your car out of the driveway.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Redline

Car thieves suck.
Redline are you in the Corvetteforum? I think I read someone's sig there the other day, and it said 04 Maxima Daily Driver.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same...... but why steal the manual?

Does it have a code in there where they can make a key (they have the door cylinder...)

Your Nissan key has a transponder chip in it. To register it you have to have the 5 digit PIN code. That code should be on a stamped on a little dog tag that came with your original set of keys. Your manual doesn't have the code in it. If the idiots who broke into your car are literate, perhaps they'll read the manual and figure out that the car won't start even if they can make a key from the cylinder. Here's a good link with this information:

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-031.pdf

Good luck in getting everything fixed.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear about your break in. It definitely sucks to hear about something like that.

Did the damage to the lock cylinders look similar to these?

That's from when they hit my 4th. gen. Same thing, windows roll down, doors open, no alarm. I've since installed a rather sophisticated alarm system.

They broke in by popping out the lock cylinder on the drivers side door and sticking a screw driver in. When you do that, both windows roll down and the doors unlock and it bypasses the alarm. HOW RIDICULOUS IS THIS!!!!! It happens on a lot of cars, my next door neighbor has a brand new 5 series BMW and they broke in the same way.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

GRRRRR, car is now in my driveway with a big chain and lock on the gate....[/QUOTE]

living with a condition known as "HID theft paranoia" ...I know the feeling.....there are too many low lives out there...

All I can say is Viper Responder alarm with proximity sensors..... has worked well
so far for me
Old 01-12-2004, 09:12 PM
*moderator*

I also upgraded my alarm to the Clifford Matrix RS3.5 with the two way remote. The sensors are set pretty high and if it goes off my remote tells me (my keys sit right next to my baseball bat) It's working well for me also. Why can't people just get their own s#%!!!
Old 01-13-2004, 09:27 PM

thanks for your replies guys... ill sleep happier knowing they cant steal the car with what they took...

im bringing it in tomorrow morning (not to nissan - those thieves) to get the control that rolls down the windows/unlocksdoor/bypasses alarm removed, and a non-holed cover put on the door where the cylinder used to be.

just hope my battery doesnt die cuz then ill never be able to get in my car lol (i will only have the keyless entry remote).

and for those of u who mentioned something about the bronx, i dont live in the ghetto!! lol... i live in one of the last nice sections left. these people were outsiders not someone from down the block... just wanted to clear that up, cuz it sucks and all but i still love NY
Old 01-13-2004, 09:34 PM

Some people leave all their paperwork on their cars in the owners manual with the antitheft codes, and key tags stuck in there... yes people are stupid. But I've seen quite a few cars come in to my shop that way.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Redsand187
Some people leave all their paperwork on their cars in the owners manual with the antitheft codes, and key tags stuck in there... yes people are stupid. But I've seen quite a few cars come in to my shop that way.
Yeah, and what's with those states that require you to carry your freakin' registration (!!!) with you!?!?

A cop stopped me a few years ago while out-of-state and he hassled me because I didn't have my car's title with me. I told him that's a negotiable instrument, and I wouldn't carry it in my car any more than I'd carry signed blank checks or stock certificates. Hell, in Texas, a clear title just has to be signed on the back to title the car over to someone else!

I'd assume that in these states, you can break into the right car, forge the owner's signature on the title and have it re-registered in your name within weeks! What a country.

Mike
Old 01-17-2004, 12:00 PM

Yeah, I would guess that they were looking for information on you. This may be a stretch, but I just looked and saw 2 2004 owners manuals on ebay, but there has to be a better way to make $10-30...
Old 01-17-2004, 01:13 PM

A registration is not a TITLE! Most people don't even posses the title to their car, the bank does. (untill it is paid for) Registration refers to your tabs. You have to register your vehicle for it to be allowed on the road. Registration is a yearly tax that covers anything related to a car. Road repair, snow plows, traffic inforcement....

When they ask for your registration, they want to see proof that you paid for your tabs, and did not swipe them off of someone elses car.

To become registered you have to have proof that you are the owner of the car and proof that your vehicle has been inspected by the state patrol (or the DOT, if they do safety tests in your area), and passed, therefore making it street legal. If you are in a state/area with high emmision standards, you must have proof that your car has met or passed those standards also.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:00 PM

All they stole was my manual, what do you think they want it for??
I need a manual for my 04, so I looked on Ebay. I think I may have found why people steal manuals:
This guy has 447 manuals on Ebay at an average price of $19.95
Old 01-19-2004, 05:37 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

and for those of u who mentioned something about the bronx, i dont live in the ghetto!! lol... i live in one of the last nice sections left. these people were outsiders not someone from down the block... just wanted to clear that up, cuz it sucks and all but i still love NY

Tremont, Williambridge, Woodlawn?
Old 01-19-2004, 07:06 PM

A registration is not a TITLE! Most people don't even posses the title to their car, the bank does. (untill it is paid for) Registration refers to your tabs. You have to register your vehicle for it to be allowed on the road. Registration is a yearly tax that covers anything related to a car. Road repair, snow plows, traffic inforcement....

When they ask for your registration, they want to see proof that you paid for your tabs, and did not swipe them off of someone elses car.

To become registered you have to have proof that you are the owner of the car and proof that your vehicle has been inspected by the state patrol (or the DOT, if they do safety tests in your area), and passed, therefore making it street legal. If you are in a state/area with high emmision standards, you must have proof that your car has met or passed those standards also.
I think there point was that the cops can run the plate and know if it is registered, why do you have to carry the piece of paper. I know a big trend in Arizona is to steal your garage door opener and your registration. They then know where you live and have a way in to your house.

BTW, just to clarify a few things. In some states the registration includes your tax (which is the case in Arizona) in other states it does not, and you get a tax bill from your town/county (ie. Connecticut). Also, in some states the bank holds the title until it is paid for (Connecticut) and in others , you hold it with a lien on it (Arizona).
Old 01-22-2004, 04:15 PM

Sorry to hear about the break in!! Pretty ballsey to do at all, much less 10pm in front of the house! My 85 300ZX will sound the alarm if the cylinder is removed... same with an 83 280ZX I had... wonder why they got rid of that feature.

http://www.ramponi.com
MCSE, MCSA 2000
2001 AE fully loaded
MOMO Cobra Aluminum / Leather Shif ****
Painted Calipers
Covercraft hood bra
3% Tint on the back 5 windows
35% Tint Front Windows

85 300ZX Street Modified
Old 01-23-2004, 08:23 AM

The cop asked me for my title. It happened that I had a clear title to this car (it was paid for), but even if it had a lien on it, I would have what is called a "duplicate title" in Texas. It looks exactly like the original title, but is marked "non-negotiable". It is used to show that you are the "owner" of the car, even though there is a lienholder.

I asked this cop why he would want the title, and was told it was to establish that I owned the vehicle (as opposed to my having stolen it, I guess). I told him he could "run the plates" and verify the VIN, which he finally did, but I think he wanted to verify ownership without going to that trouble.

Btw, he also asked for my license receipt, which shows that I have paid for my license tags (duh ... the sticker is right there in front of him, and I couldn't get that without paying).

I now carry both my title - or duplicate title as the case may be - and my license receipt with me when I travel outside the state. I hate it, but I don't want to be hassled if I get stopped!

Mike
Old 02-23-2004, 03:11 PM

Anyway I just have a few questions, comments, problems I wanna share.

Maxima security standard spec sheet as of February 2004:

Steering wheel locks when key is removed, Vehicle security system, Immobilizer, AND Tamper proof door lock key cylinder

Hope it helps!