6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Just Got My Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 05:09 PM

Just Got My Maxima

My parents just got me a 2004 Maxima 3.5 SE day after christmas (just got time to post somehting). I got it for 24000 withough destination or tag(think i got overcharged since i saw someone say they got SE with no options for around 23000). Its spirited bronze with tan interior and no options except floor mats and splash guards (was thinking black or majestic blue, but my friend told me it would fade and hard to keep clean). Its got five speed auto, sorta regret it now though, should of got the six speed manual. I also should of got bose and nav, although my parents probably wouldn't have gone for it, had hard enough time convincing them to get me the Maxima. But i love the car, probably couldn't tell 320 watts from 240 anyways and who needs a nav system when you got a map. Just got 500 miles on it and no problems yet except for pinging coming from under the car after i shut engine off (think its normal though).

Since i got nothing in the car i plan on some mods that won't void the warranty, any suggestions?
  • Two tone leather seats- saw some seat covers (take cloth off and put new one on) at http://www.auto-interior.com/leathercover21.htm#Maxima for 659 dollars (includes front and bench with side door inserts). I plan on installing myself, saw on tv and seemed pretty easy, but i need to deactivate passanger airbags so i can take out front seats (anyone got a clue how?). I was thinking dark brown on sides and same tan color on the center seats (what do you guys think?).
  • HID Headlights- any brand suggestions?
  • Tinted windows- how much to get pro done(don't want bubbles or anything)?
  • New faceplates- want to change the three faceplates to white when a kit comes out like on old max's.
  • New Pedals- get some drilled aluminum ones.
  • Cold Air Intake- probably going to get Ingen after other mods.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Joseph Zheng
My parents just got me a 2004 Maxima 3.5 SE day after christmas (just got time to post somehting). I got it for 24000 withough destination or tag(think i got overcharged since i saw someone say they got SE with no options for around 23000). Its spirited bronze with tan interior and no options except floor mats and splash guards (was thinking black or majestic blue, but my friend told me it would fade and hard to keep clean). Its got five speed auto, sorta regret it now though, should of got the six speed manual. I also should of got bose and nav, although my parents probably wouldn't have gone for it, had hard enough time convincing them to get me the Maxima. But i love the car, probably couldn't tell 320 watts from 240 anyways and who needs a nav system when you got a map. Just got 500 miles on it and no problems yet except for pinging coming from under the car after i shut engine off (think its normal though).

Since i got nothing in the car i plan on some mods that won't void the warranty, any suggestions?
  • Two tone leather seats- saw some seat covers (take cloth off and put new one on) at http://www.auto-interior.com/leathercover21.htm#Maxima for 659 dollars (includes front and bench with side door inserts). I plan on installing myself, saw on tv and seemed pretty easy, but i need to deactivate passanger airbags so i can take out front seats (anyone got a clue how?). I was thinking dark brown on sides and same tan color on the center seats (what do you guys think?).
  • HID Headlights- any brand suggestions?
  • Tinted windows- how much to get pro done(don't want bubbles or anything)?
  • New faceplates- want to change the three faceplates to white when a kit comes out like on old max's.
  • New Pedals- get some drilled aluminum ones.
  • Cold Air Intake- probably going to get Ingen after other mods.

Dude. Where to start.

First, I'll bet you have frost interior, since bronze SE isn't supposed to come with tan interior. (I know, because that's what I wanted, and it came only in SL.) Anyway ... you can probably get leather installed by a shop for only a few bux more than the do-it-yourself kind. I think I've seen very nice leather seating installed for around a grand. Check it out at shops that do sunroofs and upholstery.

HID's will cost you a fortune to retrofit. They require more than just replacing the stock units. The whole wiring setup has to be changed and the shells are different, too. Maybe just some super-blue halogen bulbs ...

Can't help on the tint or pedals. It's just my opinion, but I also don't think the CAI is worth the trouble.

Wow, if you have the bread to get all this stuff done aftermarket, it might have been better to have gotten it from the factory.

But congratulations on the new car!

Mike
Old 02-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mike_TX

HID's will cost you a fortune to retrofit. They require more than just replacing the stock units. The whole wiring setup has to be changed and the shells are different, too. Maybe just some super-blue halogen bulbs ...
The stock halogen bulbs are a 9012 bulb. There are no aftermarket bulbs for this particular model. Its a really neat high output bulb already. There is however a slightly higher output bulb in the same style, numberd 9011. I think one is a low beam, one is high. Their dimensions are nearly identical. The only mod would involve some trimming around the base of the bulb where it plugs into the harness, and likely changing the o-ring at the base of the bulb for a better fit.

Other than that, your only choice right now is to replace the entire unit with the OEM HID's. And Mike is right, it would cost a fortune.

CM.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:17 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by Joseph Zheng
My parents just got me a 2004 Maxima 3.5 SE day after christmas
must be nice
Old 02-13-2004, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by maximadave
must be nice
Aw, Dave ... you know rich people aren't really happy ...

Mike
Old 02-14-2004, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Aw, Dave ... you know rich people aren't really happy ...

Mike
hey, i paid the 10k downpayment. i saw some ultraviolet OEM HID kits for around $700 max and some kits for only $550. anyone know the difference between them, there seems to be a difference between the luminance or some thing (e.g. 7000k or 12000k)?
Old 02-14-2004, 09:16 AM

As for the installation of an aftermarket head unit, Metra (www.metraonline.com) said they should be releasing a kit for the Max, soon. The guy gave me the part number, but doesn't know when it will be available. I emailed them and asked, you should too, so they really push it through (if demand is high enough I would hope they would work on it). As for the pedals, you have an auto, do you toe/heel downshift a lot???? NISMO should be relesing a Cold Air Intake, I believe, you don't have to go with the Injen. Just my $.02.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Old Maxima Legend

sounds awesome ! lucky you ! enjoy the max those new ones are very nice !!
Old 02-14-2004, 12:44 PM

You can do this!!!
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=285142
Old 02-14-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
ha, if i was colorblind and then i'd still have to get my windows tinted to like 100% so i wouldn't get beat up for doing that to such a nice car.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:35 PM

Congrats on the car. Glad to see you made a hefty downpayment. For HIDs the 'k' number refers to the color of the light. FOr instance, the 2k2 stock HID's are 4300k I believe, and if you upgrade to a 8000k lets say, then the light is more purple. Lower is bluer, higher is purple. Happy modding!