6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 Max SE, Auto Tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 04:02 PM

04 Max SE, Auto Tranny issue

Just purchased a 04 MAX SE, Auto this weekend from Santa Monica Nissan. It has just under 150miles on it as of today.

I just started noticing that when my hand is on the shifter when the car takes off I feel a clicking through the shifter as it moves out of 1st gear. No other gear exhibits this feeling. Also, when coming to stop I feel it as it moves back into first gear. I have also heard a clicking sound when this occurs. I will be taking my car back to have this looked at but also want to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks,

David
Old 03-03-2004, 05:08 PM

Nope, no clicking in mine ... (?)

Mike
Old 03-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had some tranny issues as well (hard shifting, etc), but not any 'clicking'... once in a while I'll get a lurch and a loud 'thud', but thats about it...
Old 03-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Banned

I have the same "clicking" feeling when it comes to near stop.
I don't think it's a problem tho. just my opinion...
Old 03-04-2004, 06:33 AM

after you get back from the slealer please let us not what was the problem ...........
Old 03-04-2004, 08:16 AM

Tranny

Originally Posted by Nyc2kMax
after you get back from the slealer please let us not what was the problem ...........

meeting with them tomorrow will let you know. I have had 3 cars in past 10 years, all automatic, and no similar problem. So has to due with tranny on Maxima.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:24 PM

It is the shift lock selenoid under the shifter and engages everytime you hit the brake pedal. Try it. In Drive at a stop slowly let off on the brake until the car is about to move then press down on the brake pedal. Every time you do, the shift selenoid will click. You can also feel it by putting your hand flat down and around the bottom of the shift lever area. Do the procedure faster, and it will click, click click all day long.

I have the same issue with my 2k3 and have had the dealer replace the selenoid 3 times to no avail. If you find a remedy, please post it.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nick778
It is the shift lock selenoid under the shifter and engages everytime you hit the brake pedal. Try it. In Drive at a stop slowly let off on the brake until the car is about to move then press down on the brake pedal. Every time you do, the shift selenoid will click. You can also feel it by putting your hand flat down and around the bottom of the shift lever area. Do the procedure faster, and it will click, click click all day long.

I have the same issue with my 2k3 and have had the dealer replace the selenoid 3 times to no avail. If you find a remedy, please post it.
what you're talking about is the clicking sound when the brake light comes on...

and the "clicking sound" we're talking about is from around shift **** when the
car almost comes to stop like around 3 mph.
I don't feel the click when i take off (maybe i didn't notice yet)
but when It almost comes to stop, i feel the click, not when I hit the brake.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by VTmaximaVT
what you're talking about is the clicking sound when the brake light comes on...

and the "clicking sound" we're talking about is from around shift **** when the
car almost comes to stop like around 3 mph.
I don't feel the click when i take off (maybe i didn't notice yet)
but when It almost comes to stop, i feel the click, not when I hit the brake.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, in both cases. Around 1500 RPM on takeoff from dead stop feel the clicking through the shift **** and then hear the clicking sound. Also feel but don't hear it on slow down to complete stop.

Saw dealer today and took technician on drive. At first wouldn't admit to feeling it but when I drove he finally felt it. They said need to research with Nissan on it and feel it is normal. I indicated not normal since none of my automatics that I have owned in past 10 years had this type of problem.

Will hear back on Monday.

It is very annoying even though not very loud.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:06 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

It's your reverse/park lockout solenoid, as previously stated. It is supposed to do that. Many new vehicles have this (if not all of them)...and the reason is so that you can not go from drive to reverse, or park to any gear without first having the brakes applied.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
It's your reverse/park lockout solenoid, as previously stated. It is supposed to do that. Many new vehicles have this (if not all of them)...and the reason is so that you can not go from drive to reverse, or park to any gear without first having the brakes applied.

Well, whatever it is it is annoying to hear clicking sounds coming from the transmission/shifter when I startup from a dead stop. I drive in stop/go traffic in Los Angeles and this, as I have said, very annoying. A proper design would not give this noise. Also, was in brand new Mercedes this weekend and it did not exhibit this noise.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My mothers POS Ford Focus does the same thing. A clicking noise/vibration from the shifter handle when you're in gear and stopped at a light. Annoying. Forgiveable on a base model Focus. Not so forgiveabke on a luxury car like a Max.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:25 PM

it is actutated by the brake pedal swtich. so as you press and release the pedal and the swtich behind it, it actutates the lock shift selenoid. it is under the shifter and can almost always be heard or felt when taking off or slowing down to a light expecially if you 'pump' the brakes. some cars seem to do it and others don't. i can't get a straight answer from Nissan on this even after 3 replacement selenoids.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:10 PM

My 2002 Max has this also but, its not that intrusive. So, I'll live with it. So long as its not a real tranny problem, I'd rather have my dashboard rattle addressed.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:48 PM

OK, dealer called me and indicated that after conversation with Nissan tech that this is considered normal. They asked me to come back in for one last testing and they will put it into writing. I drove a Mercedes and a lexus automatics the past couple of weeks and neither exhibit this issue. So I'm not 100% sure that this should be classified as 'normal' Maybe normal in how it was manufactured but there may lay the problem.

David
Old 03-16-2004, 07:58 AM
ABK

They should still fix it, it's a defect
Old 03-17-2004, 10:02 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Playadave
OK, dealer called me and indicated that after conversation with Nissan tech that this is considered normal. They asked me to come back in for one last testing and they will put it into writing. I drove a Mercedes and a lexus automatics the past couple of weeks and neither exhibit this issue. So I'm not 100% sure that this should be classified as 'normal' Maybe normal in how it was manufactured but there may lay the problem.

David

You're comparing a "near luxury" car to one of the most supreme vehicles on the face of this Earth. Try comparing apples to apples instead of apples to watermelons...

Only Nissan calls the new 2004+ Maxima a luxury car...no one else does. It's not in a luxury class at all. Same class as the Pontiac Grand Prix (and Accord V6, VW Passat, Toyota avalon...) and we damn sure know that thing isn't luxury.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:02 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by ABK
They should still fix it, it's a defect

Not a defect. It's just not as refined as real luxury cars...
Old 03-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Playadave
I drove a Mercedes and a lexus automatics the past couple of weeks and neither exhibit this issue. So I'm not 100% sure that this should be classified as 'normal' Maybe normal in how it was manufactured but there may lay the problem.

David
maybe they don't have reverse/park lockout solenoid?
Old 03-17-2004, 05:55 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by VTmaximaVT
maybe they don't have reverse/park lockout solenoid?

From what I understand, all new cars/minivans/trucks have it...
Old 04-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have this clicking noise too. Car is 10 days old and 1000 miles on it. I hear it everytime i stop the car. Anyway, i am taking it to my dealer this week.Hopefully it is not a big problem.