6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

XM on non NAV screen limited to 10 chars for song titles/artist names?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

XM on non NAV screen limited to 10 chars for song titles/artist names?

Hi,

I recently purchased an XM radio kit and decided to install it myself (placing the XM 'tail' on the rear deck, which works pretty well). When displaying the artist name and song titles (by pressing the right **** once), it only displays the first 10 characters of artist name and song title. However, when there is no song/artist information available, it says "NO ARTIST AVAILABLE" and "NO SONG AVAILABLE" or something to that effect which is clearly much more tha 10 characters each. Does anyone else have a non-NAV screen with XM and is able to get more than just the first 10 characters? Does the NAV screen show more?

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Hi,

I recently purchased an XM radio kit and decided to install it myself (placing the XM 'tail' on the rear deck, which works pretty well). When displaying the artist name and song titles (by pressing the right **** once), it only displays the first 10 characters of artist name and song title. However, when there is no song/artist information available, it says "NO ARTIST AVAILABLE" and "NO SONG AVAILABLE" or something to that effect which is clearly much more tha 10 characters each. Does anyone else have a non-NAV screen with XM and is able to get more than just the first 10 characters? Does the NAV screen show more?

Thanks.
Hello Monotaur,

I have sirius, but I would image that the display works in a similar manner. For my service, I turn the tuning **** on the radio to the right to see additional information on the display screen. There have been times where I've used the **** to see two additional screens. I hope XM works the same way.

2004BlkMaxSL.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:50 AM

I have XM running on a NAV enabled screen and have the same limitation of 10 characters. Admittedly, I have not broken out the manual to see if there is a way to display more characters, but I intend to do that today. If I find anything out, I will post here.

It's frustrating sometimes!
Old 03-10-2004, 03:04 PM

Well, I checked and I could not get any further configuration screens to come up by turning the tuning **** to the right (after pressing it once so that the song information was displayed).

Thanks for the help though 2004BlkMaxSL.

jrussell915, too bad that the NAV screen also only displays 10 characters. Does XM only transmit 10 characters? Surely not?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 04:50 PM

XM only transmits 10 chars. Sirius is not limited to that.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Sparkle
XM only transmits 10 chars. Sirius is not limited to that.
Thanks.. I was afraid of that. In the commercials, you see displays with more than 10 characters, but that is a commercial...

I wish I would have known that before purchasing my sat radio, I might have been swayed to go with Sirious, although XM has many benefits.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:18 PM

My car came with XM and I ended buying the Sirius. Unfortuantelly the sound quality on Sirius is alot worse so I ended up putting the XM module back in. Too bad too because I liked their programing better.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:51 AM

After a good amount of research (calling Nissan and XM tech support) one thing became perfectly clear. In most cases, Nissan will point the finger at XM andXM will point the finger at Nissan.

Apparently, XM transmits the entire string of the Artist/Title/Station etc. According to XM, it is common for radios to cut off at a set number of digits.

Not only did Nissan not have a manual on XM, the tech support guy had trouble giving me a satisfactory answer as to why the Max stock system does not display the full name with XM, but does with Sirius.

Bottom line, I was unable to get a clear answer, but I am not giving up.