6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

defect tire and scratched rims :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 08:14 AM

defect tire and scratched rims :(

well how amazing... not only are they breaking into cars and stealing rims in my neighborhood all of a sudden (two 6th gens i saw on cinderblocks), but while rotating my tire i got a nice surprise too. one of my tires had a perfect circular crack about an inch down from the treads on the inside sidewall, it went around the whole tire and at some points you could see the nylon/steel belting. amazing huh, 15,000 miles......

well i brought it to two goodyear dealers and they both said its a defect, but since the tread was only like 5 or 6 32nds i would only get 25% warrenty replacement off thier dealer price of $240 lol.... ridiculous.... ALL FOR THIER DEFECTIVE PRODUCT!!!! dont worry im not letting this die but anyway on to the better parts

so i ordered two new tires (continental contiextreme contacts) whic actually are rated very good and to my surprise came with a full free 12 month road hazard warrenty. anyway, the goodyear dealer that put the tire on butchered my rims. they are gouged pretty deep aobut an inch from the edge on all the spokes, and even on the lip. both of them....

just posting a heads up to beware where you get your tires serviced becasue this is the 2nd place to scratch my rims. i hit a pothole and sent the rim out for repairs sine it was dented and that place scratched it in the same fashion , only on one spoke instead of all six, and not so deep.

ah life sucks....

be good guys
Old 04-02-2004, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by fixxxer

so i ordered two new tires (continental contiextreme contacts) whic actually are rated very good and to my surprise came with a full free 12 month road hazard warrenty. anyway, the goodyear dealer that put the tire on butchered my rims. they are gouged pretty deep aobut an inch from the edge on all the spokes, and even on the lip. both of them....

just posting a heads up to beware where you get your tires serviced becasue this is the 2nd place to scratch my rims. i hit a pothole and sent the rim out for repairs sine it was dented and that place scratched it in the same fashion , only on one spoke instead of all six, and not so deep.
Wow, I suppose the mounting machine is eating the rims ... or is the tire jockey doing it with the bead breaker (that bar they hook under the tire bead and the mounting machine rotates around to break the tire loose from the rim)? Either way, I'd expect them to make 'em good!

As for the Contis, I'd say just one thing: be careful about hydroplaning. I put a BMW 540 in a ditch a couple of years ago in a sudden rainstorm on I-70 in Colorado, and I credit its Continental ContiSport Contacts for at least part of it. They exhibited a lot of skating around whenever there was much water on the road, and this time it was exactly like being on ice ... no control at all, and I went around and around and to both sides of the highway, sliding for probably 300 yards before wadding up the Beemer. Those tires had only a few thousand miles on them and they looked like new. I won't buy Continentals now.

Mike
Old 04-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah if I had my rims gouged by the tire jockey at the shop I'd be looking for the shop to pay for repairing them too.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Wow, I suppose the mounting machine is eating the rims ... or is the tire jockey doing it with the bead breaker (that bar they hook under the tire bead and the mounting machine rotates around to break the tire loose from the rim)? Either way, I'd expect them to make 'em good!

As for the Contis, I'd say just one thing: be careful about hydroplaning. I put a BMW 540 in a ditch a couple of years ago in a sudden rainstorm on I-70 in Colorado, and I credit its Continental ContiSport Contacts for at least part of it. They exhibited a lot of skating around whenever there was much water on the road, and this time it was exactly like being on ice ... no control at all, and I went around and around and to both sides of the highway, sliding for probably 300 yards before wadding up the Beemer. Those tires had only a few thousand miles on them and they looked like new. I won't buy Continentals now.

Mike
Hmm weird... I heard they were very good in snow and water, tire rack ratings agree as well....

Anyway ill give them a try, they are on the back so I really wont be able to tell till my stocks front wear out.

And yes, i went to the tire place, they are gonna call some people and see about repairing them.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem. Last week I got a flat on one of my front 18" Goodyear tires (10k miles on it). When I changed the tires I noticed what looked like cracks in the tire about an inch below the thread around the whole tire. I took the tire to a Goodyear dealer who told me it looked like a defect. He checked the other tires and the other front tire also had the same cracks! He replaced them both for free. Have you heard if this is a known problem?