6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Getting Ready to Buy! Which one SE or SL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 05:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Getting Ready to Buy! Which one SE or SL?

I did a side by side comparsion and it looks like the SE is a better buy than the SL. I thought the SL was top of the line. Help me out with this. Thanks
Old 04-18-2004, 06:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My wife and I have the SE, we wanted the sport tuned suspension and 18" wheels plus a 6 Speed. Just our opinion
Old 04-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Banned

ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY CAN NOT GO WRONG W/ THE SE BABY!!! The sporty suspension and very aggressive and smooth tranny along w/ the 18" feet are such a superb combination! All that you would want in a Stylish Sport Lux. Other than those few minor things, unless you prefer woodgrain inserts w/ your interior, BUY THE SE!!!

(can you tell I'm biased?)
Old 04-18-2004, 02:23 PM

I LOVE my SE !
Old 04-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If "ride," as in relative smoothness, is an issue at all, compare them carefeully.

To be fair, I'm in the over 50 category and came from an '02 Cadillac STS, but the one thing I did not pick up on even after two test drives was the harshness of the SE ride.

Guess I was too impressed with the powertrain and everything else about this great car.

However, if I was 20 years younger, it probably wouldn't matter.

Just an old fart's two cents worth.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:50 PM
slb

Well i drove both ( SE and SL ) over and over. I preferred the comfort of the SL over the SE. Dont be fooled though by the SL's "luxury tuned suspension" because it still handles extremely well, you just wont feel the crosswalks as you pass over them)p. After driving stick shifts in the city for many years, a six speed mt doesnt excite me in the least so was not even an option in my book anyways. SL is a good fit for me.

Originally Posted by QFastic
I did a side by side comparsion and it looks like the SE is a better buy than the SL. I thought the SL was top of the line. Help me out with this. Thanks
Old 04-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You can get an SE for less but that is if you get it with less options. Below is an example of an SE and SL with the same options. The difference between these two would be the SE has 18in wheels, rear spoiler, sport tuned suspension and the metallic trim; the SL has the wood accents. Don't forget for cars built after Feb. the SL has the same 5 speed auto. as the SE. To me it's a matter of if you want the sport suspension and what you think the 18in wheels are worth (assuming you want all the features that come on the SL). Other then that they are the same cars if you get the same options. Good luck with your decision.

3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
MSRP $27,050
Driver Preferred Package $3,550
Destination Charge $560
Total with Options $31,160

3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
MSRP $29,300
Driver Preferred Package $700
Destination Charge $560
Total with Options $30,560
Old 04-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So, is everyone saying to get the SE and just trick it out myself? I am going to put 20's on it. How does it effect the ride? What is up with the long moon roof. Is it worth it?
Old 04-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Banned

So, is everyone saying to get the SE and just trick it out myself? I am going to put 20's on it. How does it effect the ride? What is up with the long moon roof. Is it worth it?

at first, i thought the "long moon roof" (skyview roof) was cool cuz it was
unique. I thought it was great idea...(at that time, i thougth it slide-opens)
and i got into the max with the skyview and realized that it's just glass
windows that can't be opened.

so i told them to get me one with a moonroof that actually opens.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:24 AM

The long moonroof is free, so I guess it is.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:55 AM

The skyview roof is standard equip....the sunroof is an extra 900.

Something elso to consider is that the sunroof takes about 1.5+" of headroom away...so if you need the headroom
Old 04-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95Max
The skyview roof is standard equip....the sunroof is an extra 900.

Something elso to consider is that the sunroof takes about 1.5+" of headroom away...so if you need the headroom
Are you sure it's 1.5 inches less headroom??? Damn, that's a lot of "head space" (excuse the pun) to sacrifice for a sunroof. I normally opt for the sunroof, but in sunny/hot Arizona, "black" is not a commonly requested color from the consumer...so I had to settle for the only black w/ skyview, but got upgraded audio. Ironically, now that time has past, people are now opting for the automatic sunroof instead of the skyview, so Nissan has begun producing more vehicles w/ the sunroof option. Effectively, more and more MAXs sitting on dealer lots today have sunroofs now!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Banned

Just an additional observation...

You know, use to be you could ONLY get the 5-speed Auto w/ the SE, but somehow Nissan decided to integrate that beautifully smooth tranny w/ the SL. Kinda spoiled the exclusivity of the SE, but, oh well. Also makes it a little harder to choose between the two trims. To me, one of the strongest selling points for the SE was the sublime/efficient 5-speed tranny. Does anyone out there own one of the newer SLs w/ the 5-sp Auto? Should be the same feel as the SE, correct?
Old 04-19-2004, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Are you sure it's 1.5 inches less headroom??? Damn, that's a lot of "head space" (excuse the pun) to sacrifice for a sunroof. I normally opt for the sunroof, but in sunny/hot Arizona, "black" is not a commonly requested color from the consumer...so I had to settle for the only black w/ skyview, but got upgraded audio. Ironically, now that time has past, people are now opting for the automatic sunroof instead of the skyview, so Nissan has begun producing more vehicles w/ the sunroof option. Effectively, more and more MAXs sitting on dealer lots today have sunroofs now!
Yup almost 1.5". I had to order my car because my head hits the roof with the sunroof. I have over an inch clearance with the skyview roof
Old 04-19-2004, 09:15 PM

I went with the SE for the price. The only regret I'm having is not getting the bose option. Otherwise I didn't really want leather or 'wood accents.' I wanted power, speed, and interior room. The 18" tires really blew my mind and I have no plans of aftermarkets for a while. My SE may be a stripped down, but compared to the vehicles I was test driving and scouting it was the best purchase out there. I didn't test drive a SL so I can't comment on the ride. Skyview or moonroof had no play in my choice. If it was warm enough to open the moonroof I'd rather turn on the air. The skyview is nice to brighten up the interior for me. I stress to get the Bose because these cars are near impossible to get an aftermarket stereo that won't affect the display. I may even order the deck for jrnissan once they get back to me about the wiring. If anyone knows of an aftermarket cd changer (no fm mod) PLEASE let me know.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:13 PM

Both cars have the same engine. Since the SL switched to the same 5 speed tranny the SE has, the cars are pretty much the same in power, speed, room, MPG, and many other categories.

When an SE is equipped like the standard SL (320 watt Bose, leather seats, 4 way power pasenger seat, heated front seats, etc, etc), its price is between $500 and $1000 more than an SL. There is a reason the 'Driver Preferred' package costs $3,550 for the SE, but only $700 for the SL. Most of the stuff is already standard on the SL.

So, unless you want a basic Maxima, the SL is the better buy economically. But the difference is not great enough to offset choosing the car you really want.

The REAL difference is the SE has 18" wheels with 45 profile tires, while the SL has 17" wheels with 55 profile tires, and the SE has a stiff suspension, while the SL has a slightly less stiff suspension.

The effect of these differences is that the SE is more maneuverable than the SL at high speeds, and rides rougher than the SL at any speed.

If I was going to use my Maxima for road (or street) racing or ultra maneuverability, I would demand the SE. If I was going to use it for classy transportation with solid performance, the SL would be the choice.

My advice is to take each on a fairly rough road before deciding. If the harsh ride of the SE does not bother you, and you won't be taking long road trips, opt for the SE. It has sort of a cult following and recognition the SL does not. As I take lots of long trips, have no dental insurance, and never race, I chose the SL.

It is great to have such a clear choice on such a wonderful automobile!
Old 04-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go with the SE. You get 18s and better handling. Plus you can make it just as luxurious as the SL.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:48 AM

SE all the way... I live in Tampa (top 10 worst for traffic) and I love my 6 speed...
Old 04-21-2004, 05:46 PM

Plus in the SE you can get either a 5 speed or 6speed for better MPG.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
Plus in the SE you can get either a 5 speed or 6speed for better MPG.
The SL is now a 5 speed also
Old 04-22-2004, 09:38 AM
Banned

The SL is now a 5 speed also
I believe 2k3TitaniumSe is only pointing out that w/ the SE you have the option to choose between AT (5sp) and MT (6sp) since you can't get the SL w/ 6-MT. I believe that's his point...correct?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:55 PM

Also, when you go with the SE and the AT you get the manual shifter mode. So when you wanna have a little fun, just push the gear shifter over to the right and you've got 1st, 2nd, 3rd...
Old 04-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by testure
Also, when you go with the SE and the AT you get the manual shifter mode. So when you wanna have a little fun, just push the gear shifter over to the right and you've got 1st, 2nd, 3rd...
GOOD POINT!!! I overlooked that minor, but very significant difference. You do get the "manu-matic" shifter w/ the SE and NOT the SL. Thanks, testure!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 04:57 PM

I thought the SL was 4 speed.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:16 PM

No, they've added a 5 speed AT as an option for the 2005 model year.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A couple things...

CanadianMoFo, I dont think the 5 speed AT in the SL is an option. I believe it's standard on SLs built after February 2004.

testure & hofb99, I believe these newer SLs with a 5 speed AT have the manual shift mode.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about either of these.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jim123
A couple things...

CanadianMoFo, I dont think the 5 speed AT in the SL is an option. I believe it's standard on SLs built after February 2004.

testure & hofb99, I believe these newer SLs with a 5 speed AT have the manual shift mode.

Correct. In February, the SL was switched to a 5 speed auto-stick. It is standard now.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:07 AM

definately the SE. The 18's are good stock wheels. The ride is a little more stiff than the SL. I drove both and liked the ride on the SE more than the SL. Both good, maybe just a personel preference.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:53 AM

I prefer the SE 6-speed manual with the Elite package. You get most of what the SL offers, and maintain the sports tuned suspension.

Also...I love the NAV option in my car.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim123
A couple things...

Hey thanks for keeping us straight! But, you know, that REALLY SUCKS!!! Why the heck did Nissan do that? Why would you put the manu-matic option in the SL trim??? It's pretty simple to me that the SE (sporty) version would have the manu-matic option for spirited shifting, but WHY THE HECK would you put the same shift-case in the SL (luxury) version??? That's just not logical! They should have kept the lines defined on that premise alone...sport vs. luxury!!! Whoever buys the SL for its luxuriousness is definitely not going to use the manual shifting option because it's just not consistent w/ "worry-free" driving--or what we affectionately call LUXURY! Nissan is pulling some really weird marketing gimics as of late... Starting to really pi$$ me off!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 12:20 PM

Hey thanks for keeping us straight! But, you know, that REALLY SUCKS!!! Why the heck did Nissan do that? Why would you put the manu-matic option in the SL trim??? It's pretty simple to me that the SE (sporty) version would have the manu-matic option for spirited shifting, but WHY THE HECK would you put the same shift-case in the SL (luxury) version??? That's just not logical! They should have kept the lines defined on that premise alone...sport vs. luxury!!! Whoever buys the SL for its luxuriousness is definitely not going to use the manual shifting option because it's just not consistent w/ "worry-free" driving--or what we affectionately call LUXURY! Nissan is pulling some really weird marketing gimics as of late... Starting to really pi$$ me off!!!
OK disagreeing here. I am getting the SL with the 5 speed. I chose the SL over the SE because it is more comfortable on tirps....which I like to do. Response between the transmissions is quite amazing (IMO). I would not have purchased the car if it was only avail w/ the 4 speed.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Banned

OK disagreeing here. I am getting the SL with the 5 speed. I chose the SL over the SE because it is more comfortable on tirps....which I like to do. Response between the transmissions is quite amazing (IMO). I would not have purchased the car if it was only avail w/ the 4 speed.
I think we have a misunderstanding. Okay, my only point was that it's kind of silly putting a manu-matic shifter in the SL because the SL is not suppose to be the sporty/performance trim for this model car. The SL's suspension is softer, the tires/wheels less aggressive, implying that the target audience would be those who would be "chilling" (so-to-speak) when driving the SL (not opting to manually shift for responsive performance)... And now that I'm mentioning the two differences above, that's about it (along w/ standard upgraded options and "wood" interior offered on the SL) that sets it apart from the SE now and that really sucks! I was merely pointing out that they should have kept the differences broader instead of practically merging the two trims. Looks to me that Nissan is attempting to re-invent the older GLE (2002 model) by integrating the two current versions. Could there be a SLE trim in the MAX's near future? Tune in next year folks for the conclusion...
Old 04-24-2004, 12:07 PM

I think we have a misunderstanding. Okay, my only point was that it's kind of silly putting a manu-matic shifter in the SL because the SL is not suppose to be the sporty/performance trim for this model car. The SL's suspension is softer, the tires/wheels less aggressive, implying that the target audience would be those who would be "chilling" (so-to-speak) when driving the SL (not opting to manually shift for responsive performance)... And now that I'm mentioning the two differences above, that's about it (along w/ standard upgraded options and "wood" interior offered on the SL) that sets it apart from the SE now and that really sucks! I was merely pointing out that they should have kept the differences broader instead of practically merging the two trims. Looks to me that Nissan is attempting to re-invent the older GLE (2002 model) by integrating the two current versions. Could there be a SLE trim in the MAX's near future? Tune in next year folks for the conclusion...

I also think that Nissan should have had the 5 speed with the SL from the beginning...just makes sense in a touring sedan, regardless SL or SE. After all, it's not as if all of us SL drivers came from Buick Centurys!
Old 04-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DansMax3
I also think that Nissan should have had the 5 speed with the SL from the beginning...just makes sense in a touring sedan, regardless SL or SE. After all, it's not as if all of us SL drivers came from Buick Centurys!
Okay, once again, some of you don't seem to understand where I'm going w/ this... My last point in case was why would Nissan put the "manu-matic" shift case in the SL? I know you SL owners don't use it. Why would you? It's just like you said...it's a "touring sedan". Why would you "tour" w/ a manual shift case? You most likely bought the SL for the smoothness that is offered w/ that trim...so why would you want to manually shift it? That's was my only point previously stated. I don't so much disagree w/ the 5-speed now being offered w/ the SL... It just seems like Nissan is merging the two trims and the lines are starting to become a bit "gray". Well, why offer 2 trims then? Hope this clears things a little...
Old 04-25-2004, 06:44 PM

hofb99 - I've lived in Arizona, and the roads are halfway decent there. But that is not the case everywhere. The 45 profile tires are a poor choice where roads are rough and potholes are plentiful. Potholes make one painfully aware of the vulnerability of very low profile tires and wheels (like the 45s on the SE). I decided this was a situation where common sense should take precedent.

With the roads I drive on, and the price dentists charge for their craft today, the SL is the best choice for me. I do, however love to be able to let the car shift while I balance a donut and coffee (or do any of a dozen other things folks do while driving), then shift for myself after I finish eating (or whatever).

I also prefer to let the car shift while slogging along in slow heavy traffic, but shift for myself when flying along a twisting mountain road.

Things are not always black and white. Many folks (like me) fit into a gray area somewhere in between.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
hofb99 - I've lived in Arizona, and the roads are halfway decent there. But that is not the case everywhere. The 45 profile tires are a poor choice where roads are rough and potholes are plentiful. Potholes make one painfully aware of the vulnerability of very low profile tires and wheels (like the 45s on the SE). I decided this was a situation where common sense should take precedent.

With the roads I drive on, and the price dentists charge for their craft today, the SL is the best choice for me. I do, however love to be able to let the car shift while I balance a donut and coffee (or do any of a dozen other things folks do while driving), then shift for myself after I finish eating (or whatever).

I also prefer to let the car shift while slogging along in slow heavy traffic, but shift for myself when flying along a twisting mountain road.

Things are not always black and white. Many folks (like me) fit into a gray area somewhere in between.
I fit into the gray area in between as well. Potholes OMG......I think that NYC is the only area that can take a pothole and fill it with so much patch that they make it into a mini mountainl right in the middle of the road.....that if you are going fast enough you could catch air.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:48 AM

Okay... I think the SL should be a 5 speed also... I mean why not, it is a touring sedan... What knucklehead wouldn't want it... Just kidding Hofb99.... I see what you are saying, however, some peole don't want the "complete" sports package. They like ride of the SL, however, may want to get a little frisky on a back road somewhere. Why? I have no idea....

Reese
Old 04-26-2004, 08:01 AM

Okay, once again, some of you don't seem to understand where I'm going w/ this... My last point in case was why would Nissan put the "manu-matic" shift case in the SL? I know you SL owners don't use it. Why would you? It's just like you said...it's a "touring sedan". Why would you "tour" w/ a manual shift case? You most likely bought the SL for the smoothness that is offered w/ that trim...so why would you want to manually shift it? That's was my only point previously stated. I don't so much disagree w/ the 5-speed now being offered w/ the SL... It just seems like Nissan is merging the two trims and the lines are starting to become a bit "gray". Well, why offer 2 trims then? Hope this clears things a little...

hofb99, we hear you loud and clear. I'm just saying that I disagree with such statements as "I know you SL owners don't use it. Why would you?"

I also bought the SL because of our pitiful roads in the midwest. If I lived in the south, I certainly would have bought the SE. However, because I have an SL it doesn't mean that I don't want to have a little fun while driving.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:44 AM
andymax95

damn hofb99 both are max's. Seems like you're getting your panties in a bunch over SE's and Sl's. Remember to pull from one side to the other.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by andymax95
damn hofb99 both are max's. Seems like you're getting your panties in a bunch over SE's and Sl's. Remember to pull from one side to the other.
I was cool w/ everyone else's explanations/replies...but I really could have done w/o that one. No need to bash. I was only trying to figure out what Nissan was doing, because it seems they're taking away the exclusivity that the SE once possessed. I was kinda proud of the fact that I had an SE w/ a 5sp auto, and the more expensive SL didn't! Get my meaning. Anyway...no need to get hostile. I'll just let my sig speak for itself, andymax95.

Quick Reply: Getting Ready to Buy! Which one SE or SL?