6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Tiptronic shifting option...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 05:01 PM

Tiptronic shifting option...

Is this standard on all the 5-speed transmissions?
Old 05-11-2004, 07:30 PM

The way Nissan worded the announcement back in early Feb, I would expect there to be no difference between the 5 speed SL's and the 5 speed SE's tranny controls.

This feeling is reinforced by the complaints on this board from SE owners when they found that the 'mundane' (their words, not mine) SL would also have their precious tiptronic.

They got no sympathy from me.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:57 AM
andymax95

5-speed auto sucks IMO. When you shift there is a hesitation before it down/up shifts. Which takes away the fun of using it. My boys A6 which is also tiptronic is badass cause when you shift it, it goes like you where shifting a manual.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:22 AM

I love the tip in the Max - takes a little getting used to because of the delay andymax was speaking of but once you get that nailed - it is slammin...
Old 05-12-2004, 08:34 AM
slb

Originally Posted by andymax95
5-speed auto sucks IMO. When you shift there is a hesitation before it down/up shifts. Which takes away the fun of using it. My boys A6 which is also tiptronic is badass cause when you shift it, it goes like you where shifting a manual.
Yeah i too was/am disappointed with the feature. Its no more than manually shifting from an old automatic from the steering column. The delay just ruins it totally.
SLB
Old 05-12-2004, 08:38 AM

Thanks...

Originally Posted by slb
Yeah i too was/am disappointed with the feature. Its no more than manually shifting from an old automatic from the steering column. The delay just ruins it totally.
SLB
Thanks for all the info guys...
Old 05-14-2004, 12:35 PM

5sp auto/stick

I don't find much delay in the upshifts, I just don't like it downshifting for you. It is very abrupt .
Old 05-14-2004, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The way Nissan worded the announcement back in early Feb, I would expect there to be no difference between the 5 speed SL's and the 5 speed SE's tranny controls.

This feeling is reinforced by the complaints on this board from SE owners when they found that the 'mundane' (their words, not mine) SL would also have their precious tiptronic.

They got no sympathy from me.
Well, of course you wouldn't have any sympathy, lightonthehill, because you probably own an SL. Two scenarios I submit to your statement above:

1) Let's say that Nissan never integrated the 5-sp w/ the SL...what would be your choice then? Do you currently own a 5-speed SL? Which trim would you prefer if the SL still slugged w/ the 4-sp? Interested to know...

2) Let's flip the script... If one of the distinguishing features included in your trim choice was the quicker engine (if 2 engines were being offered, being that tranny and engine are two major feature options), then how would you feel if the manufacturer all of a sudden started offering your engine w/ the other trim? And please be very honest...

That is my point as an SE owner...5-sp tiptronic shouldn't be offered w/ the SL. It should be exclusive w/ the sportier SE which they logically intended it to be. But as this market is driven by supply/demand (= $$$), consumers such as yourself "demanded" that the tranny be the same as the SE's...ONLY because this would presumably boost sales. But, let it be known, that the SL was not intended to have the 5-sp tiptronic--for obvious reasons... And if you wish to put a label on it, then yes, I'm hatin'... SLs shouldn't have the manu-matic shift option...it's not even offered in manual...but now that I mention it, the big wigs @ Nissan are probably contemplating that for next year's model release...
Old 05-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by hofb99
Well, of course you wouldn't have any sympathy, lightonthehill, because you probably own an SL. Two scenarios I submit to your statement above:

1) Let's say that Nissan never integrated the 5-sp w/ the SL...what would be your choice then? Do you currently own a 5-speed SL? Which trim would you prefer if the SL still slugged w/ the 4-sp? Interested to know...

2) Let's flip the script... If one of the distinguishing features included in your trim choice was the quicker engine (if 2 engines were being offered, being that tranny and engine are two major feature options), then how would you feel if the manufacturer all of a sudden started offering your engine w/ the other trim? And please be very honest...

That is my point as an SE owner...5-sp tiptronic shouldn't be offered w/ the SL. It should be exclusive w/ the sportier SE which they logically intended it to be. But as this market is driven by supply/demand (= $$$), consumers such as yourself "demanded" that the tranny be the same as the SE's...ONLY because this would presumably boost sales. But, let it be known, that the SL was not intended to have the 5-sp tiptronic--for obvious reasons... And if you wish to put a label on it, then yes, I'm hatin'... SLs shouldn't have the manu-matic shift option...it's not even offered in manual...but now that I mention it, the big wigs @ Nissan are probably contemplating that for next year's model release...
? ?
Old 05-14-2004, 07:37 PM

hofb99 - Well, I'm not into begrudging anybody anything they can get that may improve their driving experience. I certainly understand that some SE owners are theoretically 'unhappy', but I am not certain this unhappiness is justified.

I will pose to you my situation:

I love the Maxima. I have driven no other vehicle for over twenty years. I test-drove both the '04 SE and SL over a year ago, and found the SE to be very stiff on rough roads. I still own an SE (2K), and love everything about it. But when the '04s came out and it was time to add another Maxima to my garage, I wanted the great looks and performance of the Maxima with a slightly less harsh ride.

I take many long freeway trips, and have a wife, children and grandchildren that are often with me. Comfort is important. I have been a fairly agressive driver for 55 years, have owned several manual trannys, and really want the flexibility and control of the 5 speed tiptronic without the stagecoach ride of the SE. I wrote Nissan and suggested the 5 speed tiptronic be made either an extra-cost or special order option on the SL.

I never dreamed the 5 speed tiptronic would be made standard on the SL. But in thinking about this, Nissan specifically aimed the '04 Maxima at the near-luxury market of sports sedans. The SL is the upscale version of the Maxima, and is competing with a very formidable array of opponents. It costs Nissan very little to have the same tranny in the SL as the SE; it may actually simplify assembly line operations somewhat. Every feature Nissan can add to the Maxima (at any level) helps against their competition.

Check with your dealer. I'll bet you will find a really brisk pickup of SL sales with the introduction of the 5 speed tranny. Many of those (like me) loved the Maxima, but couldn't afford the dental bills associated with the teeth-rattling suspension of the SE. And money talks.

I don't understand why Nissan adding the 5 speed tiptronic to the SL (at a price increase, I might add) causes a few SE drivers to get their undershorts so twisted. I certainly would not begrudge SE owners if Nissan gave the SE engine an HP boost over the SL.

I guess I am just not the jealous type. I want everyone to have exactly what they want in a car. It bothers me not if the guy in the next lane has more HP than me, whether he is in another Maxima or a Ferrari.

But thats just me . . .
Old 05-15-2004, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
hofb99 - Well, I'm not into begrudging anybody anything they can get that may improve their driving experience. I certainly understand that some SE owners are theoretically 'unhappy', but I am not certain this unhappiness is justified.

I will pose to you my situation:

I love the Maxima. I have driven no other vehicle for over twenty years. I test-drove both the '04 SE and SL over a year ago, and found the SE to be very stiff on rough roads. I still own an SE (2K), and love everything about it. But when the '04s came out and it was time to add another Maxima to my garage, I wanted the great looks and performance of the Maxima with a slightly less harsh ride.

I take many long freeway trips, and have a wife, children and grandchildren that are often with me. Comfort is important. I have been a fairly agressive driver for 55 years, have owned several manual trannys, and really want the flexibility and control of the 5 speed tiptronic without the stagecoach ride of the SE. I wrote Nissan and suggested the 5 speed tiptronic be made either an extra-cost or special order option on the SL.

I never dreamed the 5 speed tiptronic would be made standard on the SL. But in thinking about this, Nissan specifically aimed the '04 Maxima at the near-luxury market of sports sedans. The SL is the upscale version of the Maxima, and is competing with a very formidable array of opponents. It costs Nissan very little to have the same tranny in the SL as the SE; it may actually simplify assembly line operations somewhat. Every feature Nissan can add to the Maxima (at any level) helps against their competition.

Check with your dealer. I'll bet you will find a really brisk pickup of SL sales with the introduction of the 5 speed tranny. Many of those (like me) loved the Maxima, but couldn't afford the dental bills associated with the teeth-rattling suspension of the SE. And money talks.

I don't understand why Nissan adding the 5 speed tiptronic to the SL (at a price increase, I might add) causes a few SE drivers to get their undershorts so twisted. I certainly would not begrudge SE owners if Nissan gave the SE engine an HP boost over the SL.

I guess I am just not the jealous type. I want everyone to have exactly what they want in a car. It bothers me not if the guy in the next lane has more HP than me, whether he is in another Maxima or a Ferrari.

But thats just me . . .
Well said!
Old 05-15-2004, 12:29 PM

I was trading a 2000 SE and to say the least was tired of the bone jarring ride. It did not amuse me in the slightest and the handling was not all that special that year anyways.

Test driving a Buick Rendezvous was an awareness time period. The ride was so luxurious, but of course the car in general sucked. Then test driving a Chevrolet Equinox revealed the same issues, great ride (compared to the 2000) but no cigar. So why am I suffering with this SE's ride that is so inferior to GM vans?

Finally settling on my SL was "the ticket." It had a great ride and all of the pluses that were missing on the other drives. I was not even aware at the time that I had the coveted 5 speed option with, God forbid, V rated tires too. What will SE owners think?

It was the ride that sold the car, and probably the smoothness I experienced in the long test drive, from unknown reasons at that time.

I did not know at the time that it was a competition among SE/SL owners. I thought it was about choices that Nissan had given me so I would want one of their cars, not competitors. Guys, we are on the same team!
Old 05-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Banned

Sorry guys... Shifting with a tiptronic is like a video game... Anybody can do it in front of a boobtube...

No clutch, no real driving fun.