6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 12:07 PM

Turn Signals

Hi. Is there any way to make the turn signals louder? They don't always go off after a lane change and if the stereo is up and you're not looking down at the dash they might stay on for a while before noticed.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joffy
Hi. Is there any way to make the turn signals louder? They don't always go off after a lane change and if the stereo is up and you're not looking down at the dash they might stay on for a while before noticed.
agreed...and they're not bright either...
Old 05-22-2004, 12:41 PM

I don't know about louder.

When I am making a lane change, I don't move the stalk to its full 'turn signal' position; I just press VERY GENTLY against it until it flashes two or three times, then release. That way, it never gets left on.

Years ago, the owner's manual specified the 'almost on' position of the stalk as the 'lane change' position, and the 'full on' as the 'full turn' position. I think most folks did not understand that, and so the manuals no longer mention this.

I also do this for another reason; I want the flashers off before I get more than halfway into the new lane, so as to make clear I am not continuing on over to yet another lane.

I have used that method for fifty years (everyone used hand signals before then), but I may be the only driver left who uses the 'lane change' position of the signal stalk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I used to wonder why the manufacturers did not utilize the system that automatically adjusts the radio volume (to offset noise in the car) to also adjust the loudness of the turn signal clicking. But so far, they haven't.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:45 PM

You could add a relay to the turn signals to make it sound louder. You would hear the relay clicking with the turn signals. I don't know how loud you play your radio but, if it's less then half way, you would probably be able to hear the relay clicking.

Let me know if you would like more info to do this.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by rabenoja
You could add a relay to the turn signals to make it sound louder. You would hear the relay clicking with the turn signals. I don't know how loud you play your radio but, if it's less then half way, you would probably be able to hear the relay clicking.

Let me know if you would like more info to do this.
Thanks. I'll try the half click position first.. Didn't know there was one. And yes, I play the radio loud, lol.