6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Info screen orange color... impossible to change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Info screen orange color... impossible to change?

Just wondering if there's a consensus feeling out there that it is impossible to change the color of the info screen, get rid of the orange. I'm having my Bose stereo pulled out this week in favor of a Clarion head unit, and I figure while they've got my dash ripped apart they can look to see if the light bulbs that light up the climate control buttons (and the instrument cluster) are fairly normal/universal bulbs that can be swapped for another color (maybe blue to match my new head unit), but leaving the info screen orange might look funny. Anyone have any thoughts on the info screen orange?
Old 06-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Banned

I haven't seen anybody come up with a replacement for the orange screen. But, why are you having the head unit replaced? Bose does not supply the head unit, Clarion does. Is there another Clarion head unit available that will work the steering wheel controls? What are you trying to accomplish?
Old 06-14-2004, 08:55 AM

How about a COLOR Non-Navi system? I'll be all for that. Please post if you hear anything.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:59 AM

Im taking out the Bose system (changer and tape player) to put in an aftermarket Clarion head unit so I can add sirius sat radio. Not going with XM because sirius has deals with all the pro sports to broadcast every game for free, XM doesnt have this. There are also small units out there that will re-program the steering wheel controls to work with an aftermarketing stereo, so I'm having that done too.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:06 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

no offense but that orange non-nav display is one of the most ugliest, tackiest, cheapest, 80s looking displays out there .. even edmunds.com called the display cheap-looking

if Nissan originally kept the color nav screen w/o nav controls then it would look nice
Old 06-14-2004, 09:14 AM

Non taken, which is why we are trying to get rid of the orange color.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by chrisaust
Im taking out the Bose system (changer and tape player) to put in an aftermarket Clarion head unit so I can add sirius sat radio. Not going with XM because sirius has deals with all the pro sports to broadcast every game for free, XM doesnt have this. There are also small units out there that will re-program the steering wheel controls to work with an aftermarketing stereo, so I'm having that done too.
Is adding Sirius your only reason for going aftermarket? I ask because you can get the Sirius tuner from any Nissan dealer. There's a thread somewhere in this 6th Gen forum that gives a link to a place with pretty good pricing.

Anyway, good luck on the install. It should be pretty straight-forward.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wht98SE
no offense but that orange non-nav display is one of the most ugliest, tackiest, cheapest, 80s looking displays out there .. even edmunds.com called the display cheap-looking

if Nissan originally kept the color nav screen w/o nav controls then it would look nice
Agreed, thats why i tried to see if it was possible to get navi screen installed, just not with the navi connection. However the dealership basically said it was possible but extrememly expensive. Orange is one of my least favorite colors, i've dealt with it thus far, but would love to change.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:27 AM

DougJones, the Maxima is wired for XM sat, not Sirius, as far as I understand. That's why I'm going aftermarket. Plus, the aftermarket stereo I found online for only $400, 100 more than the factory tuner, and got the sirius tuner for free.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:29 AM

i stand corrected, checked out the Grubbs infiniti site and see that the tuner works for sirius or XM. Damn! Oh well, I think my aftermarket Clarion will look much better, and probably sound better.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:37 AM

i stand corrected, checked out the Grubbs infiniti site and see that the tuner works for sirius or XM. Damn! Oh well, I think my aftermarket Clarion will look much better, and probably sound better.
As long as you're getting what you want, man. I'm sure the install is going to be sweet. Just remember to post pics when it's done.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:03 PM

But of course!
Old 06-14-2004, 02:24 PM
SuPeRmOd

Hey you're getting the removable/portable unit so you cab use it at home to right? that would make it totally worth it. That was why I would go to aftermarket because you have to subscribe to each receiver>
Old 06-14-2004, 02:34 PM

No its not a portable one, the tuner will be connected directly into the head unit, not the FM modulator one. I dont really listen to much radio at home, and when we do, we have DirecTV and have access to all those music channels.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:04 PM

So here's what I found about the info screen... and those of you who know about electrical work will already know this, but the screen is lit with prob hundreds of little LED bulbs, maybe thousands, i dont know. If you get the screen out of the car and taken apart, you can change the color of the screen simply (yet not simple) by replacing every LED bulb with the color of your choice. It would be a fairly cheap solution, I see auctions for 50 LED bulbs on ebay for like $3. But it defintiely would be complicated and time-consuming. I'm gonna look into it further!
Old 06-14-2004, 03:27 PM
2004 Smoke

It is basically a computer screen, using one color of LED display. I doubt very much you can change the color.

Someone, someday is going to provide new software for this OBC (just like the chip providers provide an engine OBC swap) and give us a lot more options. They might even make the display color adjustable. And they will provide an input from a rack GPS unit.

Craig
Old 06-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can we not just buy the navigation screen (and screen only) from Grubbs or something (Part #280907Y100)? Looks to be about $450 though.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Can we not just buy the navigation screen (and screen only) from Grubbs or something (Part #280907Y100)? Looks to be about $450 though.
Thats what i was looking to do, but the price was over a grand for just the screen, possibly because of different brackets and electrical plugs.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:13 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

here is a pic of the '05 Acura RL display from edmunds.com

If Nissan made at least a 1/2-a$$ed effort on the non-nav display screen graphics looking similar to this, it would look as cool as its nav version, unlike the 1/2-a$$ed version Nissan currently uses (also taken from edmunds.com)

Old 06-14-2004, 08:39 PM
*moderator*

I installed a Clarion head unit and left the stock Boze speakers. They do sound better as you have more options to "tune" the speakers to your liking...I wasn't going for sat radio but more for MP3 discs and IPOD access. Now I'm happy...
I just wish they would have swapped the climate and stereo controls!!!

Old 06-15-2004, 03:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
I installed a Clarion head unit and left the stock Boze speakers. They do sound better as you have more options to "tune" the speakers to your liking...I wasn't going for sat radio but more for MP3 discs and IPOD access. Now I'm happy...
I just wish they would have swapped the climate and stereo controls!!!

Nice.

But only 42 MPH on average? C'mon.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:26 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Nice.

But only 42 MPH on average? C'mon.
The good old Southern California bumper to bumper every day drive home from work is bringing down my MPG!!!!
But at least it was 78 degrees at 6pm and the sun was out...
Old 06-16-2004, 01:21 AM

If Nissan made at least a 1/2-a$$ed effort on the non-nav display screen graphics looking similar to this, it would look as cool as its nav version, unlike the 1/2-a$$ed version Nissan currently uses (also taken from edmunds.com)

Wouldn't you expect at least that much on a car that should list for about $10,000 more ? Pretty sure the pic your showing is from the Nav screen on the RL anyways.

Bob
Old 06-16-2004, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by SilverBelle04
Wouldn't you expect at least that much on a car that should list for about $10,000 more ? Pretty sure the pic your showing is from the Nav screen on the RL anyways.

Bob
As a software developer, my first reaction of the Acura display is "what a waste of available screen space" Why do I need a "high tech" graphic display of something that can be displayed on the smaller space as the Max does and not take up the whole screen with extraneous information. Sure the Orange display needs to be replaced and the Nav display is definitely a step up. But I do not ned to use the whole screen to show a the layout of the buttons.

And don't even think "touch screen". I want a tactile feel that does not require me to concentrate on where I am pressing nor do I want to cycle through various screens to get to radio information, etc while I'm driving. IMO, a poor design whe nthe whole screen is wastefully used for one and only one category of information.

Sometimes progress is not better...
Old 06-16-2004, 01:54 PM

If you want to compare to a car that costs a whole lot more money go ahead... but if you compare it to the TL which only costs a little more then they use a screen simlar to ours for the non-nav versions... It just isn't this rust orange.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:58 PM

Getting my sirius radio installed as we speak. I asked the installer to look at the back of the info screen to figure out how it's lit, and if he can change the color to defintiely do it! If he can, I told him to change the rest of the bulbs, like on the climate control buttons. Maybe I'll have some great news at the end of the day.