6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Shimmy, glovebox alignment, etc on later VINs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 07:48 PM

Shimmy, glovebox alignment, etc on later VINs?

I am trying to decide between 2 SEs. One has VDC (VIN 865xxx) and the other does not (VIN 922xxx). I have read that many people suffer from a shimmy at around 50-60 mph, the glove box isn't aligned properly, rear shelf rattle, etc. Has Nissan fixed these problems in the newer VIN cars? I would like the VDC, but would pass if the newer VIN car might have less issues. My dealer would have to trade for either car, so I have not been able to see either at this point.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by cpa4u
I am trying to decide between 2 SEs. One has VDC (VIN 865xxx) and the other does not (VIN 922xxx). I have read that many people suffer from a shimmy at around 50-60 mph, the glove box isn't aligned properly, rear shelf rattle, etc. Has Nissan fixed these problems in the newer VIN cars? I would like the VDC, but would pass if the newer VIN car might have less issues. My dealer would have to trade for either car, so I have not been able to see either at this point.

Thanks
My 8897xx with a Feb 04 build has had none of the above. In fact, it's the only vehicle I've ever owned that didn't have to go back for at least a little something. That 865 must have been about a Dec build, and I think they had most of the little quirks reported and had corrections in place on the line by then. Of course, YMMV, so I'd suggest you give either one a very thorough test drive under various conditions prior to signing anything.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:26 PM

cpa4u - Your are in a very difficult situation, as you have to give your dealer the 'go ahead' to bring in a car from another dealer, meaning your decision has to be made without ever having a chance to drive the car. Bummer.

The VIN 922xxx vehicle you mentioned has just arrived from Smyrna within the last week or two. It has been off the assembly line less than a month. I would certainly hope the later cars are in better shape; but unless posters here begin including their VIN serial when they report problems, we have no way of knowing if this is true.

The glove box problem has a TSB and a fix. I wouldn't worry too much about things that should not be difficult to fix. The big worry is the shimmy, which has been cured or mitigated several different ways. This is a case where one solution definitely does not fit all. Fixing it is almost a 'trial-and-error' endeavor.

On the one hand, I would be very very leary about a car that has been sitting on another dealer's lot for nine months (the 865xxx car). Maybe test drives in that car did not go well. On the other hand, it has the very desirable VDC package. What a dilemna.

Maybe you could reach an agreement with your dealer that the car must not have the infamous 'shimmy', and if it does, the deal is off. If he can't agree to that, then he is not being loyal to Nissan.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:46 PM

Bah! my car has the shimmy and it arrived at my dealer in late April. I dont know the VIN and the car is elsewhere... so i dont think it matters when the car was produced it is just important that it wasnt put together by a moron
Old 06-25-2004, 04:01 AM
SuPeRmOd

the last 2 are really good posts/points. As to estimating the newer one's month, mine is 916xxx and arrived May 17, bought it May 20. so the non-vdc is very new. More reliable=more peace of mind. Older has been sitting around in the weather, possibly test driven a lot more and more than likely shimmy.
Personally, I love, enjoy that I am the only one who has Driven mine, it's new and TSB free (so far) which is relaxing and adds to the thrill. I'll just take it easy in the weather conditions that warrant VDC. Also isn't the VDC a new Max feature in the 04? If so something else to consider.

If you really want the VDC that's a great idea with making the deal about shimmy = no deal
Hope my thinking and a friend's (03 owner) thinking helps you.