6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Auto-headlight problem.....anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 07:02 AM

Auto-headlight problem.....anyone?

My headlight switch is set to "auto" and I park my car in the garage. When I'm leaving for work in the mornings and turn the car on, the headlights come on, as the light is low in the garage. The problem that's been happening for the past week or so is that when I leave the garage, the headlights stay on. At this point, the sun has been up for an hour so there is plenty of light outside. They will only turn off when I switch to "on" then back to "auto." I've got about a 30 min drive to work and they will stay on, even in direct sunlight, unless I switch it manually.

I assume the sensor is malfunctioning, but has anyone else had this prob? Just curious if there is an easier fix. Could the sensor sensitivity option in the menu possibly have anything to do with this? Right now, it's set all the way up to max sensitivity. Guess I could experiement, correlating setting to problem frequency.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:51 AM

I haven't had this happen, but there is a thread that talks about the general operation of the lights..

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=320890

Mine do come on when I pull into the garage, but always go off in the sunlight.

So, sensitivity....
Does 1 mean that they'll come on when it's barely dark (i.e. driving under an overpass) and 4 means only if it's really dark? Or is it vice versa....in other words is it sensitivity to sunlight or darkness?
Old 07-09-2004, 11:13 AM

vice versa, i believe. if it is set up to 4 to be most sensitive, then it will come on while its barely dark.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:18 PM
wrj

Sounds like a defect to me. I would have that fixed. The real issue has been keeping them from turning on unncessarily.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:54 AM

Well, I cranked down the sensitivity setting a notch from maximum sens. Seems to have fixed the problem. Weird... I guess the sensor is whacked, but I can live with it.