6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Shimmy Question,.,

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 08:31 AM

Shimmy Question,.,

Ok now this might be a stupid question but ive been in this country only 8 years and some vocab isnt all that good. Now what is a "shimmy". I hear a noise under my car when im driving like inbetween buildings or big trees and it sounds like wind nosie under my car, but i dont feel anything just hear it., is this a shimmy??

NE WAYS,.. i had a 2000 GLE and i loved it,. but because of this fourm i bought my 04 SL and MAN!!!!! all I have to say to you guys is THANKS!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

when in doubt: www.dictionary.com
"
shim·my ( P ) Pronunciation Key (shm)
n. pl. shim·mies
Abnormal vibration or wobbling, as of the wheels of an automobile.

intr.v. shim·mied, shim·my·ing, shim·mies
To vibrate or wobble abnormally.
"

Hope that helps, anyways these friggin crap vehicles having a bad shimmy in the steerring wheel at speeds of 40-65 mph

good luck, i say the car needs wheel balancing perhaps diff tires because goodyears get unbalanced easy and perhaps stablizer bars

peace
Old 07-09-2004, 06:54 PM

The 'shimmy' causing the most trouble here has no sound associated with it.

On a wide, reasonably straight and level open road, drive along at speeds varying between 50MPH and 60MPH. Hold the steering wheel very very lightly with your fingertips (just enough contact to keep the car in your lane). If, at any speed, you see/feel the steering wheel vibrating noticably from side-to-side, you have shimmy.

If it is limited to a narrow speed band, and/or is not very noticable, and doesn't really bother you, you may choose to ignore it. If your car shimmies, it could be from any of half a dozen or more causes. Some dealers have difficulty fixing shimmy.

Most start by balancing, rebalancing, balancing yet again on more sophisticated equipment, replacing tires, then wheels, then checking the alignment, etc. Some shimmys have even been fixed by adjusting the tension on the steering rack.

If you have shimmy, you may wish to look back through the threads of the past 16 months here and read all the horror stories (and some success stories) regarding shimmy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the wind rush you hear echoing off buildings and trees, as long as it is just a whooshing sound, this is normal. Especially if you have a window or sunroof open even slightly. But it should not be accompanied by any clunking or grinding or metallic or other abnormal sound.