6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 paint problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2004 paint problem?

Hey guys,

I whipped out the touch up paint again tonight to go over a couple of spots and then hopefully sand them out over the weekend. Anyway, while working on the hood I noticed that there were quite a few large chips that expose the underlying metal (I had expected these), but also there were many, many multi-millimeter 'chips' that did not expose the metal underneath (but rather exposed a darker material; I'm guessing this is the base coating of paint and that the lighter clear coated paint layer had just chipped). Anyway, while I was touching these up (this takes a while with a toothpick but still looks like hell), I noticed something that gave me some pause and also made me wonder if this chipping is normal: a dried paint 'drop' on the underside of the hood, near the latch. Has anyone else noticed something like this? My car has some pretty bad orange peel, and seeing the dripping paint makes me think that it may have been a humid day or something in Smyrna the day my car was painted and as a result perhaps my paint (especially on the hood) isn't quite up to par? I really haven't found many chips (that I can call 'normal' wear and tear) on other parts of the car, just on the hood (although that's where probably 80% of the rocks/road debris are going to do the most damage). Does anyone know how they paint different sections of the car? Maybe the hood received a poor paint job? Also, how long is Nissan's paint warranty? I bought my car in late Sept, 2003, so I'm approaching the 1 year mark (with nearly 14K miles).

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2004, 08:17 PM

Well, I just applied another coat and (in addition to the original paint drip) I found a bump in the paint that (under a strong light) looks pretty obvious, but I can barely feel it... it looks almost like a dust particle or something was on the hood when it was painted (just a fine little 'point' with very very shallow edge leading up to it). Does anyone else have this? Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 04:59 AM

I have a dust particle in the paint on the driver side "c" pillar - came that way from the factory. I also have a small dimple in the rear bumber - visible outside in the right light / sun angle. I have been waxing the dust spot and using some clay and it is better, but not perfect. Other than that, the paint overall seems fine.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:35 AM

While waxing I have also come across what seems to be some kind of dust or dirt particle that was trapped underneath the paint. Like you said a small bump. It is located on the front bumper, but it's not something that stands out unless you are closely looking for it. I just shrugged it off and I'm not worried about it.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:55 AM

The dried paint drop worries me some and the fact that I have many, many paint chips (only 3 have exposed the metal underneath), but I probably have 20+ others that removed the upper layer of paint (but not exposed the metal). And the pattern of the chips is a bit weird (they are grouped close together). I guess I should have taken it to the dealer before touching it up? Anyone know how long the paint warranty is?

I applied touch up paint last night and now in the sun this morning it looks like crap... I guess it's better than exposed metal though (I had a Red Opulence SE)... I guess I can sand then little bumps of paint down with a 2000+ grit finesse block or similiar?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 11:29 AM

"clear Bra"
Old 09-09-2004, 01:29 PM

Weird I have the same dimple on mine too???? I thought it was me?

Originally Posted by 04SEelite
I have a dust particle in the paint on the driver side "c" pillar - came that way from the factory. I also have a small dimple in the rear bumber - visible outside in the right light / sun angle. I have been waxing the dust spot and using some clay and it is better, but not perfect. Other than that, the paint overall seems fine.