6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nissan Dealers and Loaner Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004 | 11:02 AM

Nissan Dealers and Loaner Cars

Question for those ladies/gents that get loaners when your car is in for warranty work... what did you have to do to make that happen?

I have called three different dealers in my area and neither provides loaners to customers when the vehicle is in for warranty work!

If I can't get a loaner, I'm off the Nissan bandwagon for good. This is my third Maxima and by far has been the biggest headache.
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't know of any Nissan dealership that gives you a loaner in my area. The one where I got the car offers "shuttle service" when your car is in for service, but I'll be damned if I know what that means...

I know if it's in for major repairs (which hasn't happened yet) I got rental coverage from my insurance -- so Enterprise just drops off a car at the dealership and I leave it there when I pick up my car. Again, I haven't tried this yet (haven't had a need for it yet), but that's *supposed* to be the way it works. Sure beats getting a ride to the subway from the dealership though...
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:22 AM

Made the agreement up front when I bought the car. Explained that I live 40 min. from dealer and don't work in that town, can't afford to sit in the lounge for 4 hours. BTW, their 'official' position is that they don't do loaners. But after I explain my situation, they have a fleet of Sentras. One time I got the service mgr's. personal Pathfinder when they were out of Sentras. My understanding is, many insurance co's. really put the heat on dealers to get rid of or at least minimize loaners.
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:22 AM

I had a problem getting a loaner when I first got my Max. The service department wanted to install my Lojack but there just wasn't a good time for me during their normal hours. I called the service advisor but he wasn't much help. He told me all I could do was to drop it off in the AM when he has 2 or 3 cars. But they opened so late, it would have made me late to work. Furthermore, he wanted to give me Sentra. I'm a big guy. A Sentra just won't do. Then I called the Service manager and he hooked me up. I dropped the car off that evening, they gave me a brand new Altima(albeit was dirty) and then came and swapped cars with me at work when it was done. Thus far I am not terribly thrilled with Nissan's service. I am used to a lot more. I used to be a Passat owner and let me tell you there is a dealer in the area that is opened to midnight and isn't stingy with the loaners. Nissan should take a note.
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by FriscoMax
Thus far I am not terribly thrilled with Nissan's service. I am used to a lot more. I used to be a Passat owner and let me tell you there is a dealer in the area that is opened to midnight and isn't stingy with the loaners. Nissan should take a note.
Seems to me like a lot of the dealers just have terrible post-sales interest in their customers. After you got the car, it's like they don't care.

This is true of others though... when I was shopping around before picking up the Maxima, I found the same type of loaner policy at the Acura and Chrysler dealerships I visited (alternatives were the TL or the new 300 ). They'll give you free perks (oil changes, car wash, etc) but no loaners.

The only place that I've ever gotten a decent loaner and service from has been my Benz dealer, but from what I hear that varies by region. Around here most dealers will give you a C-class, while other parts of the country they'll just make you get a rental (mostly stuff from Enterprise).
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:33 AM

I've explained my situation to each dealer... live in one city, the dealer is in another, and I work in yet another city. The dealer is 15 minutes to the west and work is 45 minutes to the east. They don't give a rats @ss.

If these cars didn't take a beating on the resale value when you drive it off the lot, I'd be trading this baby in for something other than another Nissan.
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by DougJones
I've explained my situation to each dealer... live in one city, the dealer is in another, and I work in yet another city. The dealer is 15 minutes to the west and work is 45 minutes to the east. They don't give a rats @ss.

If these cars didn't take a beating on the resale value when you drive it off the lot, I'd be trading this baby in for something other than another Nissan.
Well like I said, some dealers just don't do it period... and that's something that they tell you up front -- or at least you should ask about.

And as far as trading, just keep in mind that it might not help. I'd ask around for other dealerships and see what they offer... it might very well be that nobody else in your area offers loaners (Nissan or otherwise).
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:38 AM

When I purchased my Max, the dealer said, he wont give a loaner for warranty work , but he can always drop and pick me up from anywhere with 30 miles radius.

But when i dropped the car for Shimmy TSB, they first examined and found that it would take 4 hrs and without me asking, they arranged for a rental car free for a day.

So i guess it depends on all the Service managers mood. God knows what!!
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:44 AM

At the very least, these guys should be arranging for a rental. It warranty work for God's sake!

Anywho, it's water under the bridge now. I'll be spending my Friday morning at the dealership.
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:44 AM

They just don't want to pay for the loaner, and I've sent my car back and forth to dealer for like 6 times so far, 1 for recall, others are just like shimmy and rattle sound in the car. And everytime when I dropped my car for issues like those, I just didn't even bother to ask If they have a loaner for me, God, I think this might be my last Nissan I'm gonna own, it'll be better If I get a Infiniti, they provide better services and give you a loaner right away when your car is in for service, yeah it's true that Infiniti is a luxury brand that will cost you more, but its worth it. I think some of you who's a Nissan owner might agree the same.
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It is entirely up to the dealership how they handle loaners. That being said, If you take the time to let them know in advance they usually will work something out with you. I have had no problems getting a loaner or a rental car paid by the dealership when I have to have warranty work performed. I don't know if dealers provide loaners for non warranty service work. As someone mentioned above it's a good idea to get something in writing when you buy your car which promises a loaner for all service work. It also depends on what competitor dealers do in the area. Dealers around here offer loaners for most brands. It never hurts to ask and plan in advance.
Of the few times that I have had a loaner I have been given a pathfinder or altima from the dealership or a taurus from budget. Everytime I get back in my max i am happy. It's an awesome car. Makes you realize the power and comfort it offers over othe crap out there.
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:49 AM

Hmm, the dealership that I ordered/bought my Maxima from told me upfront that they give loaner cars for service repairs, as long as you give them notice of a least a day. And they also got a free tires for the life of the vehicle program goin as well.

This dealership if 45 miles from where I work, so they had better live up to their promise. Their phone greeting states free loaners and free tires so it must be true.
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:53 AM

each dealership's position on loaners can be changed @ any time...When I bought my car 4 yrs ago, they gave out a POS but nonetheless working Huyindai Accent for any kind of work that does not require the car to stay overnight. Then the new service manager closed the freebie and loaners are given out only if Nissan pays for them: major warranty work that requires the car to be @ shop unassembled overnight.
I paid 21K for my car but you folks paying 30K for your 6th gens deserve much better service IMHO..
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:56 AM
Pizda Boy

I just get my maxima serviced at infiniti & always get a loaner without questions... i have a 4th gen though... just like the i30's . . . so i don't know if infiniti services 6th gen maximas...
Old 10-13-2004 | 12:00 PM
SuPeRmOd

this arguement has occurred extensively before. Nissan does not give loaners just like the majority of dealers. Some may go above and beyond to give some a loaner, totally their discretion. That is up to you to find out before hand if it is that important of a feature.

Nissan does give you a loaner if you buy their extended warranty. Towing, almost bumper to bumer coverage, and Nissan parts are included for the entire term of warranty. The loaner is just a feature used to help sell the extension.

Well I saw it as well worth it and receive a loaner if needed.
Old 10-13-2004 | 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80

Nissan does give you a loaner if you buy their extended warranty. Towing, almost bumper to bumer coverage, and Nissan parts are included for the entire term of warranty. The loaner is just a feature used to help sell the extension.

Well I saw it as well worth it and receive a loaner if needed.
I just got off of the phone with my dealer regarding this very issue. The business manager says yes and the service manager says no. Well, it wasn't a direct no. The service manager stated that the warranty work must be in excess of 4hours for the warranty provider to cover loaners/rentals.

I am at my desk right now and have not had a chance to read back through my agreement, but this is bulls#it!

Damn Nissan to hell!
Old 10-13-2004 | 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by DougJones
I just got off of the phone with my dealer regarding this very issue. The business manager says yes and the service manager says no. Well, it wasn't a direct no. The service manager stated that the warranty work must be in excess of 4hours for the warranty provider to cover loaners/rentals.

I am at my desk right now and have not had a chance to read back through my agreement, but this is bulls#it!

Damn Nissan to hell!
You are absolutely right !!! Nissan can go to hell , If they don't fix this issue, that's just some B.S. that you mentioned (The service manager stated that the warranty work must be in excess of 4hours for the warranty provider to cover loaners/rentals.) I dropped off my car for straight 2 days in the dealer for warranty work and the service advisor didn't even bother to ask me If I wanted a loaner/rentals. that service advisor.
Old 10-13-2004 | 12:52 PM

I've owned Nissans for over 12 years now and I have never been given a loaner. I've been given courtesy rides but never a loaner. Then again, I can only remember 1 or 2 instances where they kept my car (not the Max) for any length of time.
Old 10-13-2004 | 12:57 PM

I recall a notice at a dealership I went to explaining that their insurance company would only reduce their deductable to $5000 on loaner vehicles, and that as a result they would no longer be able to provide them to customers.

Its not Nissan's fault that the dealerships don't provide loaners. Its the individual dealership.

When I bring my car back to the dealership I bought the car from I always get to "test drive" a POS sentra for the day. Nudge nudge wink wink.

CM.
Old 10-13-2004 | 01:26 PM

That's weird you guys have these problems. I go to my dealer, they ask if I need a loaner and I say yes and if they have one available, they give me one...no questions asked
Old 10-13-2004 | 03:02 PM

My dealer kept my car for a week waiting for a Nav system replacement. He rented me a Pick Up from enterprise for that week. Guess it depends on your dealer.
Old 10-13-2004 | 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Smoken'04
That's weird you guys have these problems. I go to my dealer, they ask if I need a loaner and I say yes and if they have one available, they give me one...no questions asked
Smoken'04 ... Is it because you have extended warranty covered on your Max or what ??? Damn, I wish I have a dealership like yours.
Old 10-13-2004 | 03:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was given a free Enterprise rental the 2 times I have had to take my car in for service.
Old 10-13-2004 | 04:56 PM

Yeah the extended warranty covers the costs of rental cars. It's great. I had a breakdown and they rented me a POS Camary for nearly a week till my car was ready. Had I paid for the rental that one time, it would have nearly been as much as the whole extended warranty cost.

CM
Old 10-13-2004 | 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by mvb4704
Smoken'04 ... Is it because you have extended warranty covered on your Max or what ??? Damn, I wish I have a dealership like yours.
Um actually I did not purchase an extended warranty. I have the normal 3/36....guess you better move to NWNJ...I dunno.
Old 10-13-2004 | 06:25 PM

I make them pay for a rental

I make the dealership pay for a rental every time mine's in for warranty work of any kind... I have also told Nissan, if there going to put out a product with so many defects they should at least pay for a stinky rental car for the day!

Embermax
Old 10-13-2004 | 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My dealer's sales manager or the owner picks up my car at my home and leaves me his demo for warranty or any other service!
Old 10-13-2004 | 07:31 PM

Here's the deal. Nissan does not make it a practice for providing loaners for warranty work. However, if you warranty work will take more than 24hrs to complete then the dealer can get authorization for a loaner until warranty work is done.
Old 10-14-2004 | 05:24 AM

My dealership recently gave me a rent a car only b/c I ask for it. I think they are feeling bad b/c I have been in there 4 times for the rattle in the back and its still not fixed. One other thing, on my last visit the replaced the skyview glass and gouged the paint around it so inspect it close when you pick it up after the change.

Another thing that really pi##ed me off was that I wrote down the milage and avg MPG when I droped the car off. Upon picking it up I noticed that the was an extra 20 miles on the car and the avg MPG droped by 5 MPG. The only wasy to do that is if they drove the car very hard jammin gears. I am going back tommorrow to raise some hell.
Old 10-14-2004 | 05:33 AM

My dealer said, " Only if the car stays overnite for work that a loaner will be given."
I got a loaner only because they kept my car for 3 weeks.. its all good, its free..
Old 10-14-2004 | 07:41 AM

Dealer Loaners

I just got off the phone with Don Reid Nissan in Orlando, Florida. I scheduled my first oil change and for the service department to align the glove box door and fix the rattling in the rear. I told the service manager that these problems were extremely visible among many Maxima owners and he denied ever having to service these problems. Interesting....

Nevertheless, I asked for a loaner and they reserved a 350Z for me... Just kidding, I don't have the slightest idea what the car will be, but at least it is something.

Just wanted to pass the info...
Old 10-14-2004 | 09:58 AM

Well atleast some get loaners around here. When I took my car in because my e-brake was stuck on, they had my car for 5 days. You think I had a loaner. HELL NO. I asked for one repeatedly, but I was denied hardcore. They just said they dont give out loaners. I was pissed but quickly got over it. I had to go back to Philly for classes, and I really dont need my car here. So I just had my dad drive it back home and I picked it up the following week. By the way this is East Coast Nissan on Rt. 22 in Jersey.

My Lexus on the otherhand has remarkable service. They give out loaners like nothing. They asked me if I needed a loaner for a half hour oil change. And of course I took it because it was a brand new RX330. And on top of that they washed my car, and fixed little rattles that I didnt even complain about. Thats what I call service. I wish Nissan had the same service.

And as for the guy who said he takes his 4th gen to the Infiniti dealership, did you konw anyone there? Or did you have to set it up? Where there any problems getting the Infiniti dealership to service a Nissan? That sounds like a good idea and I have never thought about that. And last question, did they give you a loaner? THANKS
Old 10-14-2004 | 08:30 PM

The dealer we bought the car from gives out loaners, but I don't know if my dad just got stuck with what was left or if they always give this car; they gave him a 3 cylinder automatic Geo Metro for the day; I think we were getting the remote start installed (not sure) so I guess thats better than nothing since it wasn't even warranty work.