6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

US made VQ 3.5 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

US made VQ 3.5 engine?

Hello everyone,

Looking to buy a new 05 Max SE demo (4k miles), and was VERY surprised to see the content sticker that was in the clove-box saying the engine was made in the USA. Every Altima V6's engine I saw was made in Japan? My wife brought home this car for me to look over, so I have not checked out any other Maxima's to compare their engines country of origin.

Got to say, one HUGE reason I always liked various Nissan products was due to the fact that the engine and trans were Japanese made and the rest of the car assembled in the US.

Any opinion if a US assembled VQ engine would be a deal breaker for you, or your feelings on the subject with your experience concerning US made VQ engines. Is one "better"/more reliable, smoother, etc in your experience? It did not help that I noticed the car was 1/2 qt low on oil before I saw where the engine was made...

Very interested in what you owners of US made VQ engines have experienced, and feelings on this topic.

Thank you,
SS
Old 11-20-2004, 09:45 AM

Wow. I have to wonder how somone has managed to rack up 4,000 miles on an '05 already, since they've been in dealers (at least in my area) for only a few weeks!

Anyway, keep in mind the engine was engineered in Japan and is assembled here under their oversight and according to Nissan's quality control. It doesn't turn into a Ford just because they ship the parts here and put it together in a U.S. plant.

The VQ is likely going to be the best engine you'll own.

Mike
Old 11-20-2004, 09:54 AM

I used to work for Nissan North America. As Mike said, the 05 VQ is made in Japan, final assembly in US. It is an Asian engine and the best one you will own.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:05 AM
VQ Wizard

http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/...mfgfacts.shtml

You people should be ashamed of yourselves for bashing you own fellow US worker.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/...mfgfacts.shtml

You people should be ashamed of yourselves for bashing you own fellow US worker.
??? Well, I wasn't bashing anyone on either side of the Pacific. The original poster seemed to think the engines might not be as good if they were built here, but hopefully we've set his mind at ease.

Mike
Old 11-20-2004, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Wow. I have to wonder how somone has managed to rack up 4,000 miles on an '05 already, since they've been in dealers (at least in my area) for only a few weeks!

Mike
We have 4050 on ours now and no problems, had the recall work completed on the airbag indicator today with no complications. We bought it on the eve of Hurricane Jeanne and we got a good deal on it. The dealer wanted to move as many cars off the lot as he could before the storm hit.

Bandit man
Old 11-21-2004, 04:36 PM

well YOu might check this out !!!!!!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=353761

and them you figure it out!!!!!

BTW NISSAN RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Poor Man's Max

950 thousand engines, with im guessing ~200 of them VQ's, im gonna cream myself!

Old 11-21-2004, 06:15 PM

BMW and Mercedes have plants next to us...also close to the Nissan plant. The parts are all from overseas, assembled....for the most part over here. Now.....the other than engine stuff is the other part of the issue.

A US worker is just as qualified as a foreign worker

BMW......built in the US....with German parts
Mercedes.....built in the US....with German parts
Nissan/Infinity.....built in the US with Japanese parts

Many other brands follow the same suit.

Now.....for the quality control...that is a different issue.

Also funny thing, with my BMW, had a GM transmission....go figure.

Give the new Nissan plant some time to mature.....even with the quality control issues....

Flame Suit On!!! 5...4...3...2...1...
Old 11-22-2004, 10:05 PM

Man, I dislike my new max a lot more than I should!! The quality compared to my 2000 Max is soooo sub-standard! Everything rattles and shimmies. I would say I hate the car but I do like the power. I miss my 5th gen, and don't think I would consider another Maxima again in retrospec. Once I trade this one in (soon) I am done![B]
Then again its a lot of bang for the buck compared to whats out there in that price range. No wait, I'M DONE![U]
But all that power and room for both kids and all thier crap...wait poor quality, I'M DONE.

I go thru this all the time with myself. I talk a good game about getting rid of the max but when the next one comes out I am sure Nissan will reel me in again!!
Old 11-29-2004, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by beemreatr
Man, I dislike my new max a lot more than I should!! The quality compared to my 2000 Max is soooo sub-standard! Everything rattles and shimmies. I would say I hate the car but I do like the power. I miss my 5th gen, and don't think I would consider another Maxima again in retrospec. Once I trade this one in (soon) I am done![B]
Then again its a lot of bang for the buck compared to whats out there in that price range. No wait, I'M DONE![U]
But all that power and room for both kids and all thier crap...wait poor quality, I'M DONE.

I go thru this all the time with myself. I talk a good game about getting rid of the max but when the next one comes out I am sure Nissan will reel me in again!!
Seems like you were more pegged for a 2003 Maxima: 2000 Maxima build quality with 6G performance.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:06 PM

The 5.5 Gens had their share of problems as well. I had an '02 and I wouldn't go back to one after having my 6th Gen.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:40 PM

The fact the car has 4,000 miles is understandable; My dealer has had '05 Maximas on his lot since August 8th (soon be four months!), and had 14 of them by mid-August.

As to the half-quart low, that may well be meaningless. Engines (even the great VQ) tend to use a little oil at first, as the rings, etc, are fitting themselves to the piston walls, etc. Once fully broken in, the VQs usually use very little oil.

As an example, my Maxima used almost a half quart the first 3,000 miles, but has barely used any since.

As to the gen 5 driver's thoughts in the thread referenced in a post here, they should carry little weight. They clearly don't like the gen 6 styling. But many folks DO like the 6th gen styling. If you like the 6th gen, go for it.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by carcus

Also funny thing, with my BMW, had a GM transmission....go figure.
was it the 5spd auto? its built by GM in a Factory in France, they sold it to BMW long before any GM vehicle had a 5spd auto... thats wierd too haha
Old 11-30-2004, 01:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had a 2003 (5th gen.) that i traded in on my 04. The 03 used to shake rattle and roll more than Elvis in his prime. My 6th gen feels much tighter.

Bob

Originally Posted by beemreatr

Old 11-30-2004, 04:31 AM

As an owner of many Maximas, I don't understand the hate for the 6th gen (as referenced in the link). I still have the '01 in my sig. When I am forced to drive it, the'01 feels inferior in every way - it feels like a toy. The 6th gen is very stable with much less body roll through turns and is a much more solid feeling car all around. The '01 has been well taken care of and only has 35k miles on it.

Even my mother, who owns an '03 Altima, admits that the 6th gen feels and rides much nicer. She's thinking of trading up to a 6th right now.

Also, my golf buddy, who owns an '01 anniversary, saw my car yesterday and says he can't wait to trade up.

Anyway, I've driven almost all of them and the current model feels the best by far.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
Not to belabor the point too much, I personally dont like the styling. However, styling tastes are subjective. However, I cant imagine having to pay sticker for it when a similarly equipped, more attractive (again, subjective) TL is avail for the same money. (But that's more a knock on the pricing on Nissans in general.)

However, it's hard to pass up on a VQ35DE powertrain so that's a MAJOR plus with the Maxima. And I definitely like the Xenons better on the new Max. Not to mention the 18" wheels.
True, but Maximas seems to be deeply discounted compared to Acuras. My base SE (sticker was $30,100 with $1500 markup over MSRP) was purchased in July '04 for $23,900 - I had them include a factory spoiler. i then added aftermarket leather and got the 75k B to B warranty. Other cars can't compare when you consider a sub $25k price tag. however, there are alternatives when you get above $30k.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSixth
As an owner of many Maximas, I don't understand the hate for the 6th gen (as referenced in the link). I still have the '01 in my sig. When I am forced to drive it, the'01 feels inferior in every way - it feels like a toy. The 6th gen is very stable with much less body roll through turns and is a much more solid feeling car all around. The '01 has been well taken care of and only has 35k miles on it.

Even my mother, who owns an '03 Altima, admits that the 6th gen feels and rides much nicer. She's thinking of trading up to a 6th right now.

Also, my golf buddy, who owns an '01 anniversary, saw my car yesterday and says he can't wait to trade up.

Anyway, I've driven almost all of them and the current model feels the best by far.
Its a matter of opinion, the Max since the 4th Gen has had love it or hate it styling and that has'nt changed with the 6th gen. Many prefer the 4th gen many the 5th gen and some the 6th, what feels/looks good too John Doe might not for you and vis versa!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:01 PM

Having driven nothing but Maximas for over twenty years, I continue to try to get a new one the first year of each generation (except the first).

I understand those who are loyal to their 5th gen. My loaded 2000 pearl blue SE is a great driving car, and has never given me the first hint of trouble. It has been the most dependable car I ever owned.

But then I have loved every generation of the Maxima. My '85 was probably the 'love of my life', and I put 206,000 wonderful miles on her.

As to the styling complaints, styling is purely subjective, and changes with the times. It must evolve, else a particular model would look pretty much the same forever. That would eventually (say after four years or so) cut into sales.

I must say my 6th gen SL is the most comfortable, roomiest Maxima yet. And it still has the get-up-and-go I expect in a Maxima. I love having vehicle dynamic control, traction control, a full size spare on matching alloy wheel, side curtain airbags front and rear, a driver's seat that sits higher than any previous gen Maxima . . .

I could go on and on, but then I realize that, other than those who like the 6th gen but are having problems, I am preaching to an audience comprised mostly of choir members, who already sing the same song as I, and '6th gen atheists', who would not like the 6th gen if it was the only car on earth. Hence I expect no 'conversions'.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=beemreatr]Man, I dislike my new max a lot more than I should!! The quality compared to my 2000 Max is soooo sub-standard! Everything rattles and shimmies.

I have owned a 4th gen(96se), 5th(00se), and now a 6th(05se), and my 6G has been much better than my 5G so far(6 weeks - 3K miles). Only one trip to dealer for a squeak, turned out to be a bent ABS bracket rubbing on frame. 6G has been much quieter (I sometimes realize I haven't shifted into 6th because I can't hear the engine) and far fewer rattles so far.