6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Future Maxima Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Future Maxima Hybrid?

Now that Honda is releasing an Accord with more HP and faster acceleration times, not to mention 37 mpg highway, do any of you guys think that a hybrid Maxima may be only a year or two away?
Old 12-03-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by chrisaust
Now that Honda is releasing an Accord with more HP and faster acceleration times, not to mention 37 mpg highway, do any of you guys think that a hybrid Maxima may be only a year or two away?
maybe...I have heard of a hybrid Altima coming up...
Old 12-03-2004, 10:18 AM
Banned

Nope. Don't imagine it could happen before MY09 or MY10. Honda has clearly and publically been pursuing hybrids for a couple of years now and most companies are taking a watch and see attitude. Honda already has started moving up the learning curve with the insights learned from the Insight (how prothetic a name that was!). It takes a car company at least 2 1/2 years to launch a "normal" vehicle. Something like your first hybrid would take at least 3 1/2 years lead time.

It amazing that people think that car companies can adapt to new technologies on the fly. Things like why dosen't my car play MP3's or have Bluetooth or why didn't they foresee what brand X was going to do? Hindsight is 20/20. It takes years of design work, testing and a crystal ball to predict the market down the road. Management that takes a gamble on the newer technologies can reap big rewards in the market, or they could take a bath.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jaydabee
Nope. Don't imagine it could happen before MY09 or MY10. Honda has clearly and publically been pursuing hybrids for a couple of years now and most companies are taking a watch and see attitude. Honda already has started moving up the learning curve with the insights learned from the Insight (how prothetic a name that was!). It takes a car company at least 2 1/2 years to launch a "normal" vehicle. Something like your first hybrid would take at least 3 1/2 years lead time.

It amazing that people think that car companies can adapt to new technologies on the fly. Things like why dosen't my car play MP3's or have Bluetooth or why didn't they foresee what brand X was going to do? Hindsight is 20/20. It takes years of design work, testing and a crystal ball to predict the market down the road. Management that takes a gamble on the newer technologies can reap big rewards in the market, or they could take a bath.
hey jay, got a minute? I just have a silly question....
I was putting air in my tire this AM , then I checked the pressure only to find that it was near 40 psi (without driving it yet). so I lowered the pressure to the recommended psi. My question: did that temporary increase in pressure do damage to my tire?
just looking for some peace of mind...
thanks!
Old 12-03-2004, 10:43 AM
SuPeRmOd

Nissan is already working with Toyoto, basing a hybrid off their model. Max will not go hybrid anytime soon.

joemax1, relax and please stop asking that same question in every thread. If the tire didn't blow up, and moment of too much pressure will not hurt it.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
Nissan is already working with Toyoto, basing a hybrid off their model. Max will not go hybrid anytime soon.

joemax1, relax and please stop asking that same question in every thread. If the tire didn't blow up, and moment of too much pressure will not hurt it.
im sorry.....I'm just a curious child with a new toy...but I guess you're right... no more questions for now. Sorry to have bothered you.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:58 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by joemax1
im sorry.....I'm just a curious child with a new toy...but I guess you're right... no more questions for now. Sorry to have bothered you.
don't take it the wrong way. I'm not bothered, but the same exact post everywhere is bad. have some patience. look thorugh all the old threads while you wait for a response. you'll learn a lot (answers to most of your questions and ones you didn't think of yet)
Old 12-03-2004, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
don't take it the wrong way. I'm not bothered, but the same exact post everywhere is bad. have some patience. look thorugh all the old threads while you wait for a response. you'll learn a lot (answers to most of your questions and ones you didn't think of yet)
I know. I guess I'm just overly concerned about my first brand new car that I can't help but ask stupid questions on stupid issues just to have peace of mind. Or maybe I'll just look for a forum on "Maintenance 101 for Dummies"! That way all of us can relate.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by joemax1
hey jay, got a minute? I just have a silly question....
I was putting air in my tire this AM , then I checked the pressure only to find that it was near 40 psi (without driving it yet). so I lowered the pressure to the recommended psi. My question: did that temporary increase in pressure do damage to my tire?
just looking for some peace of mind...
thanks!
I think that the cars are shipped with about 50psi in the tires. To prevent flat spotting during transport. Some new car buyers have reported a rough ride in new vehicles that is attributed to the shop monkeys not lowering the tire pressure before delivery.

So 40psi won't do a thing to your tires.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:18 PM

joemax1 - If it makes you feel better, I kept 37 pounds in the front tires and 34 pounds in the rear tires in several Maximas for eight to ten years. Those were my very aggressive driving days. I actually got good tire mileage, and good gas mileage with very high pressure. Rode like a buckboard, though.

Having reached my less aggressive years, I now ride with 35 in front and 33 in the rear. Works great on my SL.

The tires on the '04 Maxima have the maximum pressure in tiny letters on the side of the tire. IIRC, the limit is 46 pounds. I don't think even fifty pounds for a very short period would hurt. Not that I would ever intentionally do that.

At the other end of the scale, I wouldn't even have trouble easing (avoiding potholes) to a service station for air on tires with only 15 pounds in them, if the station was fairly near.

I.E. - for short periods, we can have a lot of leeway in tire pressure.

But I would not do lots of driving (especially very long trips) with less than 27 psi nor more than 37 psi, and would feel pressures between 30 and 35 are optimum. Nissan reccommends 32 for all tires on the SE and 33 on all tires for the SL.

It is important to have the same pressure in both tires on the same axle, but you can have slightly different (no more than 2psi) pressures between front tires and rear tires. Differences greater than 2psi begin to affect handling during high speed maneuvers.

Good luck with your psi!
Old 12-03-2004, 03:35 PM

Good grief! I posted the preceeding before remembering this is a 'hybrid' thread.

As to hybrids, I feel Nissan will go with a hybrid in 'the car of the masses' (Altima), giving buyers a Nissan hybrid option in a vehicle that has limitless options and fills many niches. I would be surprised to see a Maxima hybrid before 2012 (gen8). But then I have been surprised before.

If hybrid really takes off, and the price of gas skyrockets (over $4 a gal), Nissan could conceivably try something with the Maxima in 2008 (gen7) or 2010 (gen 7.5), but I don't see it.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:17 PM

i fear the day when its weird to have a car that runs only on gas, unless of course, i have a hybrid
Old 12-04-2004, 04:02 AM

The hybrid version for Nissan will be the Altima.

http://research.cars.com/go/crp/revi...&revlogtype=20
Old 12-06-2004, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
joemax1 - If it makes you feel better, I kept 37 pounds in the front tires and 34 pounds in the rear tires in several Maximas for eight to ten years. Those were my very aggressive driving days. I actually got good tire mileage, and good gas mileage with very high pressure. Rode like a buckboard, though.

Having reached my less aggressive years, I now ride with 35 in front and 33 in the rear. Works great on my SL.

The tires on the '04 Maxima have the maximum pressure in tiny letters on the side of the tire. IIRC, the limit is 46 pounds. I don't think even fifty pounds for a very short period would hurt. Not that I would ever intentionally do that.

At the other end of the scale, I wouldn't even have trouble easing (avoiding potholes) to a service station for air on tires with only 15 pounds in them, if the station was fairly near.

I.E. - for short periods, we can have a lot of leeway in tire pressure.

But I would not do lots of driving (especially very long trips) with less than 27 psi nor more than 37 psi, and would feel pressures between 30 and 35 are optimum. Nissan reccommends 32 for all tires on the SE and 33 on all tires for the SL.

It is important to have the same pressure in both tires on the same axle, but you can have slightly different (no more than 2psi) pressures between front tires and rear tires. Differences greater than 2psi begin to affect handling during high speed maneuvers.

Good luck with your psi!
HEY MAN! Thanks for being PATIENT with me and my stupid questions! Your answer was the most helpful and informative of all. And thanks to the others who were also PATIENT enough to answer my questions. Someday, if anyone will ask me an honest question, I'll try my best to be patient and answer them, no matter how stupid they may sound. Thanks Light!