6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Tire Balancing and Rotation...

Old 12-08-2004, 01:47 PM

Tire Balancing and Rotation...

how often do I need to do this? thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 01:54 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

why are you getting the shimmy?

I don't balance till I go in for rotation every 7500 for our cars....thats just me......
Old 12-08-2004, 01:55 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

press the maintenance button for the info screen It'll tell you the rotation miles and oil change.........
Old 12-08-2004, 10:35 PM

Also, be aware tire rotation is not of the same criticality as oil changes. Oil changes are essential. Tire rotation is not. I have read several articles in recent years suggesting tire rotation may be more a money-maker for the dealer than it is a tire preserver.

It may have been MONEY magazine that said earlier this year that the money spent on rotating tires every 7K or so for the life of the tires will easily be greater than the value of the small increase in tire mileage that may result. In thinking about this statement, I realize it is correct.

They also said a recent survey indicated some service shops use air wrenches on the lugs, many shops overtorque the lugs, expensive wheels are sometimes damaged, with the shops often denying they did the damage, etc, etc.

Then I read here over the past year or so that several 6th gen owners were not bothered by the dreaded 'shimmy' until they rotated their tires.

I am currently trying to decide in my mind if and when I should rotate. I do know I don't plan to do so for at least the first 15K, UNLESS I note uneven tire wear.

For me, this is sort of a dilemna.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:19 PM

How many miles you have on your Maxima Light?
Old 12-09-2004, 05:17 AM

light, what are your last six digits of your SL's VIN?
Old 12-09-2004, 05:37 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I have read several articles in recent years suggesting tire rotation may be more a money-maker for the dealer than it is a tire preserver.
I can't imagine paying someone to rotate my tires. I do it myself when I change my oil.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You really should rotate your tires so that all 4 wear out evenly. The front end of the car does more work than the back tires do. This means your front tires wear out faster than the rear do. So, you should rotate your tires every ~3 oil changes (9,000 miles) Nissan recommends 7500. IMO that's a good number to use for tire rotation.

The reason a lot of people get the shimmy is b/c the dealer/shop that rotates the tires doesn't balance them. In theory you shouldn't have to balance the tires every 7500 miles, but things can happen to your tires/rims in that period of time that changes the dynamics of the rim/wheel. At minimum it would be a good idea to throw the tires on the hunter 9700 and see if the tires are off balance since you already have the tires off. If they need balancing then balance them. The maxima is VERY sensitive to the slightest changes. That's why it's important to check everything out. Find a chain shop that does tires. See if you can buy a lifetime rotate/balance plan for $30. It's well spent $$$. Be friendly with the shop guy and see if you can work out a deal. A local firestone, discount tire, just tires place is usually a safe bet for a lifetime plan. It also never hurts to become friends with a local mechanic. they can usually steer you the right way for minimal cost.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Banned

I rotate tires every 7000 miles by myself. unless I feel vibration, i don't do tire balancing.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by VTmaximaVT
I rotate tires every 7000 miles by myself. unless I feel vibration, i don't do tire balancing.
I'm with you their is no need to do all of that balancing unless you feel vibs, my service advisor whom use to be a mechanic says the same thing.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

On average I go about 1.5-2 years before I get tires rebalanced. Unless there is some good reason why they've gone out of balance. Like an incident with a curb, or a thrown weight or something of that nature.

As for the $30 lifetime balance places...I'm pretty sure they're not using a Hunter 9700 to do that service. If you find a place that does offer lifetime balancing, on the Hunter 9700 plunk your money down because thats a sweet sweet deal!

CM.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:43 PM

Maxmus - about 5K. And every mile has been wonderful.

VQ35DE - 920120. Mfg late May of 2004.

mzmtg - I also did much of my car work until I passed age 70. I have reached a point where I would just as soon let my dealer (whom I do trust) do it, and save my energy for playing a little pickup basketball and repairing the meadow fences.

msoemax - You are righton about the front tires doing most of the work. And that would be true even if 60% of the weight of the car was not on the front tires. Which it is. Additionally, with proper psi, front tires tend to wear more on the edges (extra weight, plus steering), while rear tires tend to wear slightly more in the middle (less weight, no steering). Rotating tends to even that out.

I have always rotated per Nissan's schedule on previous Maximas, and will rotate them on my 6th gen, but probably not per Nissan's specs. After thinking about this overnight, I have decided to keep a close watch on my Contis, and, unless I see uneven wear, rotate every third oil change (I believe you mentioned that option also), which, for me, would be about every 11K.

I should have worded my post in a way that made it clear that, although tire rotation may have a 'down side', there are positive reasons for doing it; especially if one does his own rotating.