6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Ready to buy a '05 Max.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ready to buy a '05 Max.

After ten wonderful years with my '95SE, I'm ready for a new Maxima. I found a '05SE 6-sp with Chrome Wheels, Sensory package, Sat Radio, mats and splash guard. The MSRP is $32.2k.

A few questions for you guys:
1. How much below invoice is the dealer going to be willing to sell for. I've purchased for $200 below invoice in the past. Can I add the rebate on top of that? (i.e. $1200 below invoice.)
2. Are the chrome wheels really worth it? Do you think the dealer will buy them back or trade for something else?
3. The dealer is about 200 miles away. Any suggestions on how to handle the engine break in while making the trip home.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:15 PM

95Max - I will leave the wheel issue for those 'in the know'.

The '05s have only been out four months, and it may be difficult to get most dealers below invoice at this time. But, with some dealers trying to reduce inventory (and avoid taxes) by calendar year end, who knows?

As to the trip home, I would first confirm the dealer has the oil level and tire pressures correct, then avoid full-blown accelleration, avoid getting rpms over 4K, avoid hard braking (unless in an emergency), avoid going over 60 mph for the first hundred miles (so the tires can work out any 'flat spots' from sitting on the lot, and set firmly to the rims), and vary speed rather often.

Per Nissan (and posters here who are technically inclined) the varying of speed is important, especially during the early months of breaking in a new car. The variation does not have to be dramatic; just increase or decrease your speed 3 to 5 mph occasionally, then change back after a few miles. If possible, the optimum situation would be to continually vary your speed, if only by a few mph.

For the last half of your trip home, it should be OK to ease up to 65 mph, with occasional steps up to 70. After 300 miles, I took mine to 75 mph, after 500 miles, I took it to 80, after 800 miles I took it to 85, at the end of the breakin period (1200 miles), I took it to 90, checking for tire balance, smoothness, directional control, etc. At 2400 miles, I took mine to 100 mph for a few miles. It drives very smoothly, easily and beautifully at speed.

Be sure to read the driver's manual when you have a chance. It covers the breakin recommendations well.

Enjoy your Maxima!
Old 12-15-2004, 12:18 PM

lighton,

Thanks a lot. That was a really thorough summary of what should be done.

Does anyone have any pictures of the chrome wheel package?
Old 12-15-2004, 05:26 PM

What can I say? Lightonthehill is one smart ****!

Do what he says. It's good advice. I follow the entire break in period to 1200 miles and then I change the oil at that point.

Good Luck with that new Max, it sounds HOT

Post some pics..
Old 12-15-2004, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Little95Max
After ten wonderful years with my '95SE, I'm ready for a new Maxima. I found a '05SE 6-sp with Chrome Wheels, Sensory package, Sat Radio, mats and splash guard. The MSRP is $32.2k.

A few questions for you guys:
1. How much below invoice is the dealer going to be willing to sell for. I've purchased for $200 below invoice in the past. Can I add the rebate on top of that? (i.e. $1200 below invoice.)
2. Are the chrome wheels really worth it? Do you think the dealer will buy them back or trade for something else?
3. The dealer is about 200 miles away. Any suggestions on how to handle the engine break in while making the trip home.

Thanks.
1. After buying my 2004, knowing what I do now, would not pay 1 dollar over invoice on a 05 considering how much the value has dropped on the 6th gen.

2. The chrome wheels are not worth it for the option, you can get nicer wheels aftermarket a hell of alot cheaper, once the deal is done, you are done with the dealer....they forget your name and refer you to the service department. Keep the stock wheels, get them chromed on a wheel exchange rim shop. Also, seems like for 18 inch Max rims, high demand on Ebay for them so you can diffuse the difference on an upgrade for aftermarket tims.

3. Dealer is 200 miles away, if they want your sale, they better give you one hell of a deal and let them know you are driving 200 miles to deal with them. Negotiate a price before you drive the 200 miles and set your price with them....or you are wasting your time and money.

The Maxima is a great car, I have had no major problems with them, but make the dealer work to your advantage....this is coming from a guy who traded in a BMW convert, was upside down, and got pretty much a bone stock 04 SE....besides coming with a 3K wheel and tire package dealer installed nightmare.

Also...consider a nice LOW mile LOADED 04 Max.....you could save sometimes over 10 grand....and I am not joking. Check out Ebay and do a search for some of the used 04 Max's out there....they are giving them away.

Hope this helps, do not be afraid of the bad stuff being said about the new 6th gen quirks....just do not pay out the corn hole like I did.....If I had only waited a few more months....now is a good time to buy though. Telling you though, a pretty much brand new 04....you can get one loaded real cheap, nav, leather, xenon, you name it, they want to get rid of them for the 05....little changes on the 05 for the price difference.

Again, just my 2 cents.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:43 PM

Hey thanks for the tips. I live in Austin and the dealers here really do not have a very good inventory. The dealers in Dallas and Houston have better inventories and are willing to deal quite a bit more. That's why I've been willing to drive so far.

Today I stopped by a local dealer after work to test drive the 05 Max. The car was awesome, but the dealership experience was the worst thing I had ever gone through. I told them I wanted to test drive only, and had absolutely no intention of buying. The sales guy said sure no problem. I told him any car is fine but I'd prefer an SE and 6sp if possible. You'll love what this guy said. "You have to be prepared to buy any car you test drive." I blew off the comment, because I could tell he was somewhat of an idiot.

After the awesome test drive, we sit down and he says he'll get me a quote to take home. He then comes back and tells me the msrp is $32.8k. It had the sun roof, and sensory package only. (The car I test drove, and many of the cars there did not have stickers on them. I thought it was the law to have them.)

He then says we'll sell it for $31.8k! Okay, how about $30.8k. Okay, how about $28.8K. Then they offer me the financing deal of the day. $6000 down, and payments of $900/month for 48months. Turns out this was at a rate of 14.9%!

Now the part I really love. I checked out the dealer's website, and the msrp on the car is $31.5K. I compared the VIN numbers to be absolutely sure. These idiots actually expected me to buy a car for more than the msrp.

You really have to be careful dealing some people. Sorry for the long and whining message. At the very least I got have a little bit of fun in a great car.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:01 PM

14.9%!!??

I am paying 1.9% with NMAC on my 05'

Don't take the $1000 cash back and work a better deal! That sounds a little off the wall!!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:18 PM

I saw a Max in a driveway of a guy that works for Courtesy Nissan here in Dallas and they looked hot.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by NIKV69
What can I say? Lightonthehill is one smart ****!

Do what he says. It's good advice. I follow the entire break in period to 1200 miles and then I change the oil at that point.
There is some good advice on this thread. lightonthehill did a very nice job.

I picked out this quote to stress a point that often gets overlooked here and elsewhere. Most posters here care alot about their Max and want to use Synthetic motor oil in their V-6. I use it and think it is worth the extra cost. But you don't want to change to synthetic until the third or even the 4th oil change. (Until then stick with the best dino oil you can buy.)

There is also good advice in this site's section on lubricants and other technical issues. Check it out, particularly the sticky items from those who seem to know what they are talking about -- they do. They have good advice on oil filters, the best dino oil and the best synthetic oil.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:10 PM

95Max - Sadly, your visit to your local dealer is very similar to what you would find at many dealers (not just Nissan). And dealing from 200 miles away is tough.

If you go to the Nissan site and inquire on all Nissan dealers within 100 miles of Atlanta (zip 30303), you find there are 23 dealers. Saturation. Great competition. Of course, there are now about 7 million folks within 100 miles of Atlanta. That number will be larger tomorrow. Larger yet day after tomorrow. Talk about urban sprawl . . .

I am very fortunate that my dealer is less than 4 miles (one traffic light) away, and usually has between 20 and 30 new Maximas on hand at any given time. And every one always has the official sticker in the window.

I know most of the folks there, and they treat me like royalty (because they know I buy all my Maximas there, and get all my service there). Whenever the owner sees me (such as in a restaurant), he always comes over to shake my wife's hand and my hand and asks how we are doing.

The service manager spotted me in a pizza restaurant a few months ago. I told him about needing the longer rubber bumper to even the glovebox door with the dash. He wrote down my request, and called me when the part came in.

It makes me sad that many Maxima lovers on this board have to work with dealers that truly insult one's intelligence. If you find a half-decent dealer, spend time getting to know the folks there. Let them know you appreciate being treated as an intelligent no-nonsense person. Build a rapport with at least one salesperson you like, and with the service manager. Keep at this until they smile and greet you every time they see you. Make them your friends.

O.K., I realize this comes across as brown-nosing. But I will brown-nose any day if it improves my chances for good deals and good service.