6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My first problem with my Max

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 12:48 PM

My first problem with my Max

hey guys, well im pretty dissapointed, im gonna explain why
i barely have 3,000 miles on my 6th gen, and already i have a problem
my descriptive qualities are really bad, so try to bear with me
im driving around the other night, hitting little unavoidable bumps due to the fact that im from ny and the streets here are GARBAGE. suddenly i start hearing a noise from what seems to be my front right tire perhaps. im thinkin oh man i must of just caught a flat. i stop get out, it's not a flat. so im like ok maybe it was just the road. i get back in keep driving, sound is still there. everytime i hit the slightest of bumps of uneven concrete i hear this ugly noise that sounds like something is loose or broke from the front of my car, near my right tire it sounds like it is coming from
Could this be the defective struts everyone is talking about?
im just really dissapointed i expected more from my max than this.
Even on my old Stratus i had no mechanical problems until like 16,000 miles. Anyways i made an appointment with the dealership to take her in monday morning, and i'm not driving her till then.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:26 PM

A bad strut could make a "clunking" noise when you hit a bump. Any car - even a new Bentley - can have something fail early in its life, so don't throw rocks at your Max if something is broken. That's what warranties are for.

Mike
Old 12-20-2004, 12:31 PM

One other thing to consider. I had a 98 BMW that made a similar noise. It sounded like the front left wheel was about to fall off anytime you hit the slightest bump in the road. I knew everything was okay because it had just been certified by the dealer. In the end, a rock had wedged between the disc brake backing plate and the axle spindle. The noise it made was really amplified and belied the true origins. Once the small stone was removed, problem disappeared completely. Also had this happen on my 04 Titan as well. Made the backing plate rub against the rotor and made a squealing sound like metal on metal. Again, a very easy fix.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem it is probably your strut. Dealer fixed it.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:29 PM

I grew up in the NY. NJ area but joined the Navy 27 years ago. I passed through NY a couple of years ago and was shocked at how bad the roads had gotten. I can understand how you could screw up a strut driving there eveyday. Hope your dealer can fix the problem. Let us know how you make out.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Like others have said it sounds like a bad strut. Check the bad strut poll for the latest part # for the struts for the SE.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:11 PM

Well, took my car in this morning, got it back at around 6 p.m. Said they changed the front struts with the redesigned struts from the 05 maxima . ..supposedly
Im driving home and the sound i once heard is gone, but its replaced with another sound, i dont hear it on every bump but i heard it enough to make me nervous. this time it was like a "crunching" sound. Sounded like..shocks that had been through war.
I don't know, maybe it's the new struts , are they still stiff? i'm the farthest thing from a mechanic, all i can tell you guys is what i hear, and what i think . any other guys had this problem with replaced struts? if it continues next time i drive it im taking her back to the stealership.