6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Dropping off car at Nissan service center

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 08:08 AM

Dropping off car at Nissan service center

Hey everyone;
Newbie here posting what might seem as a dumb question, but it has been bugging me.

If you guys drop off your vehicles to have work performed under warranty, do you or do you not get a temporary vehicle from nissan to drive for that day? I was under the impression that you would get a car.

I ask because since i have bought my car i have taken it to the dealer four times now for little things, and everytime I have to ask a co-worker or a friend for a ride (i hate depending on others). I also wnt to know so they do not BS me when i ask them for one.

And in this situation, i am taking the car back because the service personell left finger prints all over my display screen when they replaced it. And my panels coming off.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:15 AM

I dont think they automatically give you a loaner. My dealership had a a promotion where if you had over $250 of service you would get a loaner, but this was the only time they offered that to me.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:17 AM

As your warranty manual states, Nissan is not responsible for alternate transportation even if your vehicle is in the shop for warranty work. It is 100% dealer discretion if they chose to offer you a loaner....not Nissan.

You had a couple options when considering your new Nissan:

1.) Buy a Security Plus warranty policy as one of the many benefits is loaner cars.
2.) Buy an Infiniti or some other premium car.
3.) Buy a Max from a dealer that has a loaner car program, some do and some don't.

Let's face it, the max is a nice car, but afterall it is a Nissan...you take your max to the same place the lady with the rusted out Sentra goes.

One of the main differences between Nissan and Infiniti is the service you get and the dealer experience. You save a couple grand, get less service and a few less parts and pieces when you buy a Nissan instead of an Infiniti.

Your best bet is to raise hell with the dealer, and get a loaner.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:33 AM

Good point, however, if the visit is to fix something the service center did wrong, I think I am entitled to one.

Thanks for the feedback

Originally Posted by factorymax
As your warranty manual states, Nissan is not responsible for alternate transportation even if your vehicle is in the shop for warranty work. It is 100% dealer discretion if they chose to offer you a
loaner....not Nissan.

You had a couple options when considering your new Nissan:

1.) Buy a Security Plus warranty policy as one of the many benefits is loaner cars.
2.) Buy an Infiniti or some other premium car.
3.) Buy a Max from a dealer that has a loaner car program, some do and some don't.

Let's face it, the max is a nice car, but afterall it is a Nissan...you take your max to the same place the lady with the rusted out Sentra goes.

One of the main differences between Nissan and Infiniti is the service you get and the dealer experience. You save a couple grand, get less service and a few less parts and pieces when you buy a Nissan instead of an Infiniti.

Your best bet is to raise hell with the dealer, and get a loaner.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:39 AM

Whenever I bring my car in for warranty work, I always ask if they have a car available for that day before making the appt. Once I find out when they have a car available, I make my appt for that day and tell them I need a car. I've never once been charged for a loaner while getting warranty work done. Even if I drop it off and they "can't duplicate the problem", I never get charged. Try it the way I explained and see what you get. Good Luck
Old 12-30-2004, 08:55 AM

Again...it is up to the dealer.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:56 AM

Got it, i was just asking for assistance and not for an attitude.

appreciate the feedback though.

Originally Posted by factorymax
Again...it is up to the dealer.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:59 AM

I will give it a shot, thanks.

Originally Posted by Smoken'04
Whenever I bring my car in for warranty work, I always ask if they have a car available for that day before making the appt. Once I find out when they have a car available, I make my appt for that day and tell them I need a car. I've never once been charged for a loaner while getting warranty work done. Even if I drop it off and they "can't duplicate the problem", I never get charged. Try it the way I explained and see what you get. Good Luck
Old 12-30-2004, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jcberb
Got it, i was just asking for assistance and not for an attitude.

appreciate the feedback though.
Attitude was not my intent, only to get you the info in as few key strokes as possible.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:45 AM

I have the Security Plus program so it was wonderful when I brought my Max in. They right away gave me a loaner without me saying anything. Too bad it was a Sentra
Old 12-30-2004, 11:07 AM

With the warranty that i have a rental is covered only if it is in the shop for two+ days. Booger. I am going to look into what Nissan offers to help me in my situation. I didnt think ahead on this issue when i was buying the Max (now i know) It is cumbersome to ask for rides.

Originally Posted by dopestar129
I have the Security Plus program so it was wonderful when I brought my Max in. They right away gave me a loaner without me saying anything. Too bad it was a Sentra
Old 12-30-2004, 11:12 AM

With the warranty that i have a rental is covered only if it is in the shop for two+ days. Booger. I am going to look into what Nissan offers to help me in my situation. I didnt think ahead on this issue when i was buying the Max (now i know) It is cumbersome to ask for rides.
Now that I think about it, you could always call the Nissan hotline and ask for consumer goodwill. You can tell them you are a new Nissan Max owner, and if you have owned other Nissans purchased NEW at a Nissan dealer they may be willing to help you, as you are taking it in for a repair on top of a warranty repair the dealer did not do the first time.

While the issue you described is the dealers responsibility, Nissan wants you to buy another one later. It is cheaper to keep a customer than to acquire a new one.

Anyway...good luck!!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:41 PM

jcberb,

Do what "Smoken04" has stated. I have done the same thing and my nissan dealership
has never given me any problems about getting a loaner. Last time they gave me a
loaner was an 04 Altima SE during the time they were taking care of mine recall stuff
for the car. I like the loaner so much I bought my son a brand new 04 Altima SE for
his graduation. Good luck

Mike
Old 12-30-2004, 03:19 PM
KC's FINEST

Im always given one. I believe me buying two cars in two months has something to do w/ it though. Your better off going through your salesman for a loaner. You should be able to pick something off the used car lot at least. Expecially if your going BACK to fix something they messed up more, trying to fix it the first time...

Just demand one... youve just spent 30k+.... Its worth a try
Old 12-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They always give me a used POS Sentra to drive for the day if my car is going to be in the shop for half a day or more. Driving the 1999 Sentra around all day makes me appreciate my Maxima more. Its like a welcome home party when I get in behind the wheel of my own car again!

I think wether or not you get a loaner depends on your attitude at the dealership. I get loaners at the dealership I bought the car at, but nowhere else. Heck they won't even let me pay for an oil change there.

CM.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:15 PM

I get no loaner car, the dealer Pat Peck Nissan out here does not offer loaners.....matter of fact, they pretty much crap on me when I go over there every time since they got a bad service feedback to Nissan. Still have many things unresolved at the dealer, a fogged up drivers headlight, they need to have 4 hours labor to replace it, and a few minor other things. I want all the stuff to be fixed at once since they have no LOANER and will take quite a bit of time for them to fix them. This dealership is slow as hell.....plus since they got the bad feedback from me, they pretty much hate me by now. If I had just one loaner car that would help me out a bunch, considering it is a 30 min drive to the dealer. Hey, I never thought Nissan would offer a loaner, but kinda expected paying over 30K for a car that now has only 5k on it....they could work something out, even off their used lot.....they just say, we used to have loaners, than some old lady crashed one and was in the hospital...lots of bills. That is what INSURANCE is for.....does not cost the dealer anything, hell, to test drive a new car, you need to be insured, I imaging to get a LOANER, same applies.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:49 PM

Thanks everyone, i am heading to the dealer on Tuesday and will most surely ask for one. Lets see what happens.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:14 PM

Thanks everyone, i am heading to the dealer on Tuesday and will most surely ask for one. Lets see what happens.
Weird thing happened though after I posted this thread and the name of the dealer. Next day, the dealer called me, said they will give me a rental car and fix all of my problems. Sometimes I wonder if Nissan looks at the message posts and the problems. At least on Monday, my car will be at the dealer and I will get a rental car....they better pay for it, I imagine that is what they ment. Now, for me this is a one time deal, they have to replace the fogged passenger head light with the new one, and fix a few odds and ends. I plan on making the most **** list of fixes while I have the convienence of a LOANER and will have them keep it until everything is fine this time.