6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Should I get it??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 07:58 PM

Should I get it??

I'm looking at an '04 SE. I currently have "the original" 4DSC, a 92 SE 5spd. The '04 is an AT, but I'm getting a little older, and i think i would rather have an AT. It has 30k miles, which seems a little high for an '04, granted it does look like it was put into service 10/03. It seems to be in great shape, from a dealer, they are asking 21,900, which appears to be a decent price by looking at edmunds and other sites. My only qualms are it doesn't have leather... but oh well... I always hated leather on those really hot, or really cold days (i know heated seats are available). It DOES NOT have HIDs, which I will greatly miss, as my 92 SE has HIDs, I did the BMW E36 headlight mod with a set of Hella HIDs. But, I may take the Hella ballasts, and get a "retrofit" bulb that will go into the '04's housing. What bulbs do the 6th gens have? In anycase, I can do anything to make anything work (www.adamcantor.com)

I'm not going to check this thread for the rest of the evening, but I will check it tomorrow morning before I go make an offer... they're asking 21,900 as i said, I plan on offering 20,500.

One last thing... this thing is quite quick!!!! I thought my 02 SE with 190hp was quick, even though the 04 is heavier, that extra 75hp more than makes up for it!!

Well, I think I'm gonna take it for another drive... (i brought it home for an overnight test drive).
Old 01-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This reply is a little late but.... $20k is more than fair for a base Max. I think you can get a new one for $25k currently with rebates,etc.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2005, 08:30 PM

Want my honest opinion? Spend the extra 5k and get a brand spanking new 05'. From what I have read about the 04' I wouldn't go near one with a 10 foot pole!
Old 01-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree, go w an 05
Old 01-08-2005, 12:01 AM

MP3Car - like others here, I feel you should be able to buy a new '05 base SE for no more than $25K. Here are a few reasons I would lean to a new '05:

It seems several of the problems with the '04 have been made better in the '05 (like interior metalwork, etc).

Sometimes folks let a fairly new car go because there is some problem they have not been able to get fixed to their satisfaction. You don't need that.

The car you are looking at has only 6K of the warranty left. A new '05 will have 36K warranty. That is a HUGE difference.

In summary, you are thinking of paying almost $22K for a car that listed around $27K, was probably purchased for around $25K, and on which 80% of the warranty is gone, when, for around $3K more, you should be able to buy a brand new '05 similarly equipped.

For me, the choice is easy.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:18 AM

I agree with everyone else. Go for the 05. Even though you're attracted to the $21,900 price tag, keep in mind that you may end up paying extra money for repairs that you wouldn't have to pay for if you had more mileage left on your warrantee.

If money is the main issue, I would wait a few months or so and save some extra money to buy an 05. Anyway, IMHO, springtime is the best time to buy a new car.
There's no messy winter weather to deal with and the days are longer, giving you more time to pamper your new baby.

Light put everthing in perspective for you.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Is the 04 really that bad??? I drove a lot of cars today, the Maxima, the Altima SER, a Jetta GLI, a BMW 330i and a LexusIS. The Maxima is hands down the best car for the money. They have some 05s with everything but navigation for 30k. The guy said he would have a fully loaded (- nav.) 04 Maxima early this week for 25k with 14k miles. What do you think??
Old 01-08-2005, 07:03 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by mr.b
Is the 04 really that bad??? I drove a lot of cars today, the Maxima, the Altima SER, a Jetta GLI, a BMW 330i and a LexusIS. The Maxima is hands down the best car for the money. They have some 05s with everything but navigation for 30k. The guy said he would have a fully loaded (- nav.) 04 Maxima early this week for 25k with 14k miles. What do you think??
not bad, but theres little probs here and there that can be quite annoying. if you can put up with it its a good car. they think the little probs are fixed on the 05 thats why they recommend the 05......

FYI I haven't had any probs yet with the 04........
Old 01-08-2005, 09:26 PM

mr.b - To put things further into perspective, I would scrape up the additional $3K and get the '05 with 36K warranty even if the '04 and '05 were exactly alike in every detail.

The '05, being a year newer, will always have more trade-in value than the '04. And having a 36K warranty instead of 6K is the deal-maker for me. Non-warranty work on the Maxima can be quite costly.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:32 AM

Well, I didn't bite...

It looks like a new '05 similiarly equipped Invoices at 27,485, and edmunds TMV after rebate ($1000) is $27,275, so even if I paid asking price for this '04 (which of course I wouldnt) it'd still be $5000 less than an '05.

What are some of the problems that the 04 has had that suposedly werefixed for 05?

If they go to $20k, and do the 30k service (transmission fluid, cabin airfilter, etc), I might consider it... maybe I'd see if they'd do $20k, and a 100k warranty. Even if they didn't agree with the warranty, but did $20k, that's still 7k less than new, but with 30k more miles. I think it was locally serviced, so I can have the service records pulled to make sure no major warranty work was done, like two new transmissions.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:47 PM

MP3Car - The base '05 Maxima does not INVOICE for $27,485 unless it has some good options. The MSRP should be around $27,485. Maybe that is what you meant. Rest assured, unless there are some good options added, the dealer did not pay over $25K invoice for a base '05 SE; decidedly less after holdbacks and other incentives.

Even though the '05 Maxima has only been out for five months, the fact it is almost exactly like the '04 should mean the dealer has little leverage in negotiations, and no easy way to keep the price artificially high.

You must be in an area where there is little competition between Nissan dealers. Most Atlanta Nissan dealers are advertising '05 Maxima SEs for between $23K and $24K. Even if you paid $25K, that still beats Edmund's TMV by $2K. I know that can be done around here.

The differences between the '04 and '05 have been posted here in detail dozens of times, but not yet made into a 'sticky'. Briefly, the highlights are:

Revamped control system for airbags.
Interior metalwork made more scratch-resistant.
Additional 12V outlet at right front of console.
Leather made softer.
Engine meets ultra low emissions test ('04 met low emissions test).
Traction Control standard on '05s built after mid-November, 2004.
Prewiring for satellite radio no longer limited to Bose system.
Cargo net/hooks revised.
Auto-dimming outside mirrors available in option package.
Brake calipers changed from mustard to black (but I did not see this on '05s).

There were NO changes in the power train. The only quick way to tell an '05 from an '04 is to look in the cabin and see if the car has an additional 12V outlet on the right front top of the console.

You mentioned the possibility of asking the dealer for a 100K warranty. No dealer is going to go for that. You might possibly get the dealer to add 10K to the warranty, which will only be good at his dealership, as it will be underwritten by the dealer, not by Nissan. If he would do that, I would feel much better about this car. Since you are looking at a high mileage car, the price and terms should be more negotiable than on a normal mileage car.

If there was any way possible, I would recommend that you check the BEST price for an '05 at two or three dealers before deciding. Make sure these dealers know you are comparison shopping several dealers for best price.

Good luck, friend.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:29 PM

ARGHH!!! I typed a reply and hit post quick reply and it came up with page not found, and evidently it didnt post, and I hit back and my reply was gone... arghhh

I basically was saying how for some reason, edmunds did list the invoice as 27whatever... but that was after i added the 6disc bose changer, and the 18s, which the SE actually comes with, but edmunds is wrong i guess and shows it as an option. anyhow... I found an ad locally where the dealer is asking 23,999 after rebate. so, I guess 24,560 wouldnt be too bad for an 05 (of course I'd offer less) but none of the ones they have in stock have the 6disc changer and bose system. Does the "base" system have the option for sat or is it just the upgraded system?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:19 PM

MP3Car - I was hoping an SE audiophyle would answer your last question, but they must all be out crusin'.

I am pretty sure the 'base' audio system in the '04 SE cannot have satellite radio added. The reason I say this is because, in the 'dealer handout' glossy brochure for the '04 Maxima, I found the following statement deep in the very fine print:

'Satellite radio option can only be installed in vehicles that were factory- prewired for satellite radio'.

I would see no need for this statement unless some Maximas were not prewired. As the deluxe BOSE is prewired, and is standard on the base SL, it might seem the base SE is the only Maxima that statement could be referencing.

But you might check with your dealer, or we might be lucky and one of our audio gurus here might confirm the statement from the brochure.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:19 PM

I agree with almost all that has been posted before -- go for the 05.

No one has mentioned the Auto Tranny (on the 04) vs the 6-Speed Manual. I don't know how old you are, but probably younger than I am. I went for the 6-speed for the added control. I held out for a Max with the 6-speed and the Bose system and would do it again.

There have been threads on this site complaining about the manual shift option on the Auto Tranny being slow to shift. If you like a manual, go with one again.

I can not abide leather seats and you hit on some of the reasons. Why pay more to have less confort? Good luck getting the car you want.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
I agree with almost all that has been posted before -- go for the 05.

I can not abide leather seats and you hit on some of the reasons. Why pay more to have less confort? Good luck getting the car you want.
Comfort is very subjective. I personally have never owned a car without leather and never could. Every car I ever get will have leather in it even if I had to do custom leather seats. I can't stand cloth. But again this is all obvisouly subjective.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mike33
Comfort is very subjective. I personally have never owned a car without leather and never could. Every car I ever get will have leather in it even if I had to do custom leather seats. I can't stand cloth. But again this is all obvisouly subjective.
I agree. I have had leather in all of my cars except one and I think I am spoiled. My basics on a car are very different from other folks' basics. I must have a sunroof and leather.