6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Potholes, etc...

Old 01-15-2005, 08:47 PM

Potholes, etc...

hey guys! what's your take about potholes in the interstate when you're running past 70mph? Man I hate these potholes!!! How do your Max's handle these craters? Do u guys slow down at all or just run over them?
Old 01-15-2005, 09:44 PM

you got ot be joking me. Do anything you possibly can to not hit those or at least hit them slowly. thats so bad for your car and you could bend a rim.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Two choices: Avoid them, or move to California!!
Old 01-15-2005, 09:54 PM

I always watch for things like potholes, rocks, junk that has fallen off vehicles, and 'alligators' (retreads that have come off semi tires).

Running over an 'alligator' at 70 mph can do great damage underneath the car. Hitting a deep sharp-edged pothole at 70 mph can destroy both the tire and the wheel.

This is why I always try to leave a cushion between myself and the vehicle in front of me. If one is tailgating, there is not time to properly react to road hazards. I also adjust my speed in an attempt to avoid running side-by-side with a vehicle in an adjacent lane. That gives a little more maneuvering room if a road hazard suddenly appears.

When on deserted interstates (they do exist in some areas), I sometimes pick out a little mark or spot on the pavement about fifty feet in front and practice quickly adjusting the car to whichever side offers the best opportunity to miss the spot, then quickly adjusting back as soon as I have passed the spot. This enables me to be familiar with how the car will react in sudden maneuvers, and gives me confidence to make the same manuever when it is really needed.

If you don't see the hazard in time, and there is no room to maneuver, you should slow down as much as possible, but let off the brakes just as you hit the hazard, as this gives the tire/wheel slightly more 'wiggle' and 'squirm' room, somewhat reducing the impact, and is better for your braking system.

I absolutely abhor potholes on the interstate. They reflect very poorly on whatever agency is responsible for maintaining that section of road. They are also a great safety hazard, as a car tearing up a tire will then be a sitting duck beside the road until it can be fixed or carried away.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:01 PM

I can speak from experience that you definitely DO NOT want to hit a pot hole whether it is on the interstate or not. I hit a decent sized one going about 45 mph one day. Three weeks later my tire went flat on the way to work. When I took to a shop to get repaired they told me my rim was bent and it would cost 600 bucks to be replaced. Fortunately, the shop was able to bend the rip back into place as best as possible. It’s been 6 months since then and I haven't had a problem since. I assume what happened was it bent the rim slightly & over the next few weeks slowly lost pressure.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:13 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by Mike33
you got ot be joking me. Do anything you possibly can to not hit those or at least hit them slowly. thats so bad for your car and you could bend a rim.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:15 PM

I hit a nice pothole about a ft deep about a month ago. Felt like I rolled off a small wall then popped curb.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I always watch for things like potholes, rocks, junk that has fallen off vehicles, and 'alligators' (retreads that have come off semi tires).

Running over an 'alligator' at 70 mph can do great damage underneath the car. Hitting a deep sharp-edged pothole at 70 mph can destroy both the tire and the wheel.

This is why I always try to leave a cushion between myself and the vehicle in front of me. If one is tailgating, there is not time to properly react to road hazards. I also adjust my speed in an attempt to avoid running side-by-side with a vehicle in an adjacent lane. That gives a little more maneuvering room if a road hazard suddenly appears.

When on deserted interstates (they do exist in some areas), I sometimes pick out a little mark or spot on the pavement about fifty feet in front and practice quickly adjusting the car to whichever side offers the best opportunity to miss the spot, then quickly adjusting back as soon as I have passed the spot. This enables me to be familiar with how the car will react in sudden maneuvers, and gives me confidence to make the same manuever when it is really needed.

If you don't see the hazard in time, and there is no room to maneuver, you should slow down as much as possible, but let off the brakes just as you hit the hazard, as this gives the tire/wheel slightly more 'wiggle' and 'squirm' room, somewhat reducing the impact, and is better for your braking system.

I absolutely abhor potholes on the interstate. They reflect very poorly on whatever agency is responsible for maintaining that section of road. They are also a great safety hazard, as a car tearing up a tire will then be a sitting duck beside the road until it can be fixed or carried away.
Thanks! As much as possible I've been trying to avoid potholes on the interstate, but there are times when I just couldnt avoid hitting them because either there's another vehicle on the other lane or there's another vehicle tail-gating me, therefore i can't slow down! I cringe everytime I hit one!!! well...that life....
Old 01-17-2005, 10:06 AM

Wanna see some potholes, come to NJ.. Crazy I tell ya.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 04 maxse
Wanna see some potholes, come to NJ.. Crazy I tell ya.
is that right??? well, how does your max put up with it?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:59 AM

I study the potholes like a surgeon.. Also in the summer they are a little better, my 18's can take a beating the 20's I don't know about.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:11 AM

I study the potholes like a surgeon.. Also in the summer they are a little better, my 18's can take a beating the 20's I don't know about.
well, I only have the stock 17's, so I guess Im ok then. but Im just concerned abt the struts/suspension, and the occassional rattlling at the back everytime i hit a pothole...
Old 01-17-2005, 11:13 AM

yeah im used to it, everytime I buy a new car I say " I am not going to lower or buy wheels for this one" That lasts about 2 weeks.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:21 AM

yeah im used to it, everytime I buy a new car I say " I am not going to lower or buy wheels for this one" That lasts about 2 weeks.
hehehe...well, what i really hate is when Im driving in the interstate and I don't see the pothole, and then "BANG"!!! a disaster!!! makes me feel like writing to the President and complain to him about these craters!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:09 PM

pots do suck in jersey... =/