6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

This can't be right...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 07:43 AM

This can't be right...

...or else i'd have the best mpg ever. According to the info screen i'm getting 99.9 mpg. Of course this is not correct. But what may have caused this?

Also i have a vibration that comes when i accelerate around a turn. Seems like its coming from the front possibly near the speakers. Normally I don't notice it, but ever since xmas when i didn't have my music on loud it annoys the hell out of me.

Haven't had time to bring it to the dealer tho i'm sure they will just "not be able to have it happen" such the case time and time before. Any suggestions or comments on these problems?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:54 PM

What happens when you reset the mileage? (Press and hold the fuel economy button until the reading shows "**") If it goes back to a normal reading, you probably just had a system error. If it goes back to 99.9. a trip to the dealer is in store for you.

No idea on the vibration.

Mike
Old 01-16-2005, 01:04 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

wow mystery good mpg. you're maxima electric?
Old 01-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I can get 99 mpg if I coast down hill in neutral for a few min.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
What happens when you reset the mileage? (Press and hold the fuel economy button until the reading shows "**") If it goes back to a normal reading, you probably just had a system error. If it goes back to 99.9. a trip to the dealer is in store for you.

No idea on the vibration.

Mike
I feel like a moron for not knowing well enough to try that. Did the trick. Figures its been 18 months since i got the car and i just figured that out tonight.

On another note i still have the rattling and now i seem to have something else coming from the rear. When i go over speed bumps or even simply dips in the road i can hear a noise coming from the rear, i want to say shocks or something but i really don't know. Its really hard to describe the noise exactly.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:09 PM

There's a TSB for a rattle from the rear parcel shelf. Could it be that?

Rattle in rear parcel shelf TSB info
Old 01-17-2005, 07:37 AM

If your noise in the rear is a "scraunch" - like a drawn out squeak - it could be the bushing on the sway bar. Sometimes it just needs some silicone spray lube or something, but if it keeps up I'd have the dealer check it out.

Mike
Old 01-17-2005, 01:04 PM

Definatly isn't the rattle on the rear parcel shelf, thats been there for a while, my subs just made it worse. The sway bar idea is definatly possible, going to listen a little more for it and then take it to the dealer anyways, i still don't have a shift **** and a list of other problems in need to be resolved.