6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

'05 SL or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 05:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

'05 SL or not?

Hey all,

Been lurkin for a while...great forum...lots of good info.

So, I love this car and will be coming off a 325i lease in a few months. Loved the BMW but want something a little bigger. I understand the Max is a blast to drive but I'm seriously concerned about winter handling considering the dumping of snow we had in NY. My RWD BMW is absolutely the worst winter car ever BTW. SO....

How does the Max SL handle the snow with the stock 17s and tires? I dont want to go through the hassle of puttin snows on every year. Is the standard traction control enough or should I opt for the VDC package as well.

Any input would be appreciated since I am also considering a Passat GLX (FWD not 4motion).
Old 01-28-2005, 06:35 AM

I have an SL and live in Texas, but when I visit the inlaws in CO the SL handles great in the snow. I don't have traction control or VDC and it is still very stable.

I like the softer ride of the SL as well. I drove the SE and it was more harsh than I preferred for the daily driver.

Despite some of the negative stuff you may hear on the forum, the max is a fantastic car.

I had a Passat before the max and I was VERY dissapointed by the reliability and workmanship of the VW. If you read consumer reports, the VW products consistently score poorly in electrical, brakes, fit and finish. While they do have a longer warranty, buy a Security Plus from Nissan on the max and you are covered.

Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

SL or not

Got my 04 SL 3/03 and have 30k on it. First import I have ever owned. I'm 51 and have owned nothing but GM and work for a Cadillac dealership. It has been a great car. Has never been in for warranty work. I fixed the rear shelf rattle myself. Plenty of power, gets plenty of looks and a great road car. Cannot beat all the bells and whistles for the money. After saying all that, I am trying to buy an new Mustang GT, trying to relive my teenage years.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NoPucksThisYear
Hey all,

Been lurkin for a while...great forum...lots of good info.

So, I love this car and will be coming off a 325i lease in a few months. Loved the BMW but want something a little bigger. I understand the Max is a blast to drive but I'm seriously concerned about winter handling considering the dumping of snow we had in NY. My RWD BMW is absolutely the worst winter car ever BTW. SO....

How does the Max SL handle the snow with the stock 17s and tires? I dont want to go through the hassle of puttin snows on every year. Is the standard traction control enough or should I opt for the VDC package as well.

Any input would be appreciated since I am also considering a Passat GLX (FWD not 4motion).
Have you driven the VW "Pissant"?? It drives like a bus. No power, sloppy handling, ick. I test drove one when I was looking for a new car - It was horrible. IMHO

My '04 is ok in the snow. Haven't had any problems getting around. The FWD makes it very difficult to lose control. Plus its got some gittumup.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love BMW's, but there is not much room in a 3 series. The Max is really nice inside and Nissan did great with what they have come up with for the 6th gen. They have put it in a class with the luxosport sedans and still not at the cost of most of them. Oh, yeah. Passat is caca and I can't believe that they get 28K for them.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:32 AM

NoPucksThisYear,

Fellow Long Islander here! Though I am in the desert now! Wouldn't want to see that snow!

Are you set against the SE? I tell you it rides fiine. I drove 2600 miles out here and it was fine. Plus I love the 18" wheels. My Max has seen rain, ice and snow and it has performed without problem. The SL is nice but if you want performance get the SE.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Guys!

I've heard mixed things about the Passat but figured the interior might be nicer than the Max.

NIKV69,

Not dead set against the SE, just figured the stock wheels might be a little more slippery in the wet stuff. It is a fine lookin machine though...

Thanks again guys...keep the info comin'
Old 01-28-2005, 10:02 AM

NoPucksThisYear,

I like the interior of the SE. It's very simple. Comfortable and roomy. All controls are easily in reach. The info center is awesome as well. Have you test drove any?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:18 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

for me I don't like wood grain, like on the sl. I have had se's all my life on maxes and in this one its just awsome. a stiffer ride that is tolerable is not bad. I also don't have the TC and VDC but the 18's handle good in the snow, I was surprized.

If you are planing on droping it or anything thats one mod you can hold off on, its that firm. harly has a bodyroll around turns at quick speeds... my kind of car..

but its a great car no matter what... good luck
Old 01-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Haven't had a chance to test drive yet...but was hopin' to do a Se/SL back to back..
Old 01-28-2005, 10:49 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by NoPucksThisYear
Haven't had a chance to test drive yet...but was hopin' to do a Se/SL back to back..
if you test drive both do the sl first so you can tell how stiff it really is on the se..
Old 01-28-2005, 09:41 PM

NoPucksThisYear - You asked about the use of traction control and vehicle dynamic control to help with winter driving.

I feel traction control is at its best in snow or mud or on icy roads. It doesn't do much in dry conditions.

On the other hand, vehicle dynamic control is at its best in dry conditions, where the very subtle brake/release pulses to individual wheels will translate into results, as the tires are in contact with the road and not just gliding on ice or snow.

I never considered buying my SL without both TC and VDC. But I bought the VDC for help in emergency control situations at speed on dry roads.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
NoPucksThisYear - You asked about the use of traction control and vehicle dynamic control to help with winter driving.

I feel traction control is at its best in snow or mud or on icy roads. It doesn't do much in dry conditions.

On the other hand, vehicle dynamic control is at its best in dry conditions, where the very subtle brake/release pulses to individual wheels will translate into results, as the tires are in contact with the road and not just gliding on ice or snow.

I never considered buying my SL without both TC and VDC. But I bought the VDC for help in emergency control situations at speed on dry roads.
Sounds like the VDC package is worth the extra $600 or so. Looks to me that I'll have to get the sunroof as well according to the Nissan website. Too bad, I kinda like the toaster look of the fixed skyline roof!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:18 AM

NoPucksThisYear,

I drove my se6spd to northern tenn. during the Christmas holidays, when they had the snowy weather.

I must say the max handled very well even in the mountains of tenn. with ice and snow. The 18's did me a excellent job. God, good judgement and a good vehicle.

Maxima all the way. No question.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:36 AM

NoPucksThisYear,

You know we haven't discussed the most important question.

WHAT COLOR?

There is only one answer!! ONYX!

When are you going to hit the dealers? To drive one is to love one!
Old 01-29-2005, 11:21 AM
wsu

I have a 2005 SL with VDC and traction control. I have done significant driving in some harsh winter weather and find the Maxima competent in snow and ice. This is the first vehicle I have owned that had any feature like VDC or traction contro, but even without these features, I would not suggest one diminish one's consideration of a Maxima purchase due to purported traction or handling problems in inclement weather.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:30 AM

(deleted this post, as I realized I had posted it twice. Ah, the problems of growing old . . . sigh . . .
Old 01-29-2005, 11:43 AM

NoPucksThisYear - Unless Nissan changed the VDC package setup when making traction control standard back in November, it includes a full-size spare tire with matching alloy wheel. The price of those alone off the dealer's shelf would be more than $600.

For what its worth, when tire replacement time comes, the 17" tires are not quite as expensive as the 18" tires. And by the laws of physics, the slightly narrower SL tire will be slightly less prone to hydroplaning.

Additionally, keep in mind that the engines and trannys are EXACTLY alike on the SE and SL. The cars should perform exactly alike in 'straightaway' driving. The clear advantages of the SE are on sharply curvy roads or in sudden lateral maneuvers. The advantages of the SL are a more comfortable ride and many more goodies on the basic model. When all these goodies are added to the SE, it then costs more than the SL.

Of course, being a twenty year Maxima driver, I am aware there is a 'mystique' among the 'cult' that will always feel anything but an SE is not really a Maxima. I was a member of that cult until gen 6, when I decided to put extra comfort over lateral performance. Some might say I 'wimped out'. But it is a cushy wimp!

I am so grateful to Nissan for giving us this wonderful SE/SL choice.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:28 PM

Lightonthehill you wimp!!!

Seriously the SL is a great option for those who want the better ride and luxury version yet get the power when they push down the pedal.

Lightonthehill is also right on about the tires! I am not looking forward to when these RSAs wear out! 245/18s are going to cost a small fortune!

Drive them both, then decide. Just make sure to get ONYX! Do they offer the SL in onyx? I have not seen one.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
NoPucksThisYear - Unless Nissan changed the VDC package setup when making traction control standard back in November, it includes a full-size spare tire with matching alloy wheel. The price of those alone off the dealer's shelf would be more than $600.

For what its worth, when tire replacement time comes, the 17" tires are not quite as expensive as the 18" tires. And by the laws of physics, the slightly narrower SL tire will be slightly less prone to hydroplaning.

Additionally, keep in mind that the engines and trannys are EXACTLY alike on the SE and SL. The cars should perform exactly alike in 'straightaway' driving. The clear advantages of the SE are on sharply curvy roads or in sudden lateral maneuvers. The advantages of the SL are a more comfortable ride and many more goodies on the basic model. When all these goodies are added to the SE, it then costs more than the SL.

Of course, being a twenty year Maxima driver, I am aware there is a 'mystique' among the 'cult' that will always feel anything but an SE is not really a Maxima. I was a member of that cult until gen 6, when I decided to put extra comfort over lateral performance. Some might say I 'wimped out'. But it is a cushy wimp!

I am so grateful to Nissan for giving us this wonderful SE/SL choice.
Heck, SE or SL a Maxima is a Maxima! What wonderful cars these are. I would have went with either trim and been happy. Although I preferred the SE mostly because of the interior as I don't persoanlly care for the fake wood trim style and I just loved the silver in the SE but the ride quality in the SE was surprisingly tolerable compared to other SE type vehicles I have had in the past. Even with the 18" tires it is very good with the exception of a really bumpy road surface.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Love the car despite poor traction in the snow

I have an 05 SL, which was an upgrade from my 00 SE. I love the Maxima but it is definitely not a good car in the snow. The wide 17's are so big and have such shallow tread that they tend to sit on top of the snow versus digging in as a thinner smaller tire would.

However, even here in Wisconsin this is really only a big deal a couple of days out of the year as the roads are plowed relatively quickly which makes it a non-issue. I spent $1,110 on Michelins for my 2000 Maxima, which helped quite a bit in comparison to the Potenza's that came as original equipment. I can't justify that cost yet on my new 05 because the tires are still so new.

Buy the Maxima and plan on being inconvenienced for a couple of hours after each big snowfall until the roads are plowed. You won't regret it.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:30 PM

Wanting an SE when i got to the dealership, I ended up leaving with an SL because i got a good deal for one with a lot of options. Now, all I need to do is change out the springs and choose some aftermarket wheels that I really like and I have the best of both worlds.
Good luck on your decision!
Oh, and YES... my SL is ONYX!
I agree, it's a beautiful color... just remember to take extra care of it because it's very soft and scratches easily.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MadisonMaxima
I have an 05 SL, which was an upgrade from my 00 SE. I love the Maxima but it is definitely not a good car in the snow. The wide 17's are so big and have such shallow tread that they tend to sit on top of the snow versus digging in as a thinner smaller tire would.

However, even here in Wisconsin this is really only a big deal a couple of days out of the year as the roads are plowed relatively quickly which makes it a non-issue. I spent $1,110 on Michelins for my 2000 Maxima, which helped quite a bit in comparison to the Potenza's that came as original equipment. I can't justify that cost yet on my new 05 because the tires are still so new.

Buy the Maxima and plan on being inconvenienced for a couple of hours after each big snowfall until the roads are plowed. You won't regret it.
Thanks for all the imput! Compared to what Im driving now ANY fwd vehicle is going to be any improvement in the snow, even if it is pushin' 265 HP around !!!!

My wife has had three Nissans (four if you count her G20) and has never had a problem so I'm leanin towards the Max in a big way.

How do these things lease? Dealers willin to wheel and deal at all?
Old 01-30-2005, 01:22 PM

NoPucksThisYear,

I would think so, be careful of the ads in the newspaper they are usually a bait and switch. I would go to the Dealer and be firm, they usually play ball. Get to a dealer already and do this!

sLuxury,

That's awesome, post a pic if you can and don't worry, Mother's products are used on my car's finish and she will hold up well!